• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daou0782
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

atelier closing

i spoke with curtis, and he told me an important reason for the closure was that it was very hard for them to compete with the myriad of european stores that have popped up in the past years and that don't pay high import taxes.

there was a line when i got there at 2.00. then things got calmer, then there was a line again when i left at 6.00.

they disconnected the phone.

the first time i visited was on my birthday. it was such a magical experience that i decided to repeat it every year from then on. i had the chance to visit the store two times after that, and when i got the email i immediately bought tickets to be there on monday. the julius rack emptied twice, and half the bbs leather sold in the time i was there.

the shoe selection was limited in sizes. curtis told me the sale will go on till all is sold or the ned of the year, whichever comes first. i might go again by the end on the month.

a sad, sad, sad thing indeed.

Comment

• drizzly
      Banned
      • Apr 2012

Anyone!.....I really really would appreciate it if someone can let me know whats left in a1923/ma+/CCP boots for size 44. Any info would be much appreciated. Please PM me, i cannot get through and feel like i may miss something i was looking for. Please PM me...

Comment

• darkbydesign
        • Sep 2010

Went by and didn't see anything I really needed. Beautiful M.A+ leather pants and M.A+ +++++++++++++++ belts, super tempting..... Lots of M.A+ and CCP left (great pieces, good prices), but too many people, all mainly rude, and the experience honestly felt like Century 21 for rich kids, with the horrible behavior that we often make fun of. Watching people toss wonderfully tailored pieces on tables and then seeing them bump each other (like Black Friday at Walmart) just kinda blew my mind. Not the type of scene that best represents ours. Also, not to point out the obvious, but Atelier has always been very generous with their seasonal sales that often start at like 30% and then rapidly move to 60% and sometimes deeper, so funny to watch the nostalgia of people dumping their bank accounts at 50% off when their standard seasonal sales drop further than that. Ironically, leaving mainly M.A+ and C.C.P. stuff behind (lots was still there at 6pm yesterday) which are basically the only brands that they don't put on sale in general. A strange hysteria and bad vibe (not caused by Atelier SAs which had basically given up on mending the crowd).

Anyway, it's a bummer for Atelier to close, but it's a symptom of internet domination and a bad global economy. I mean, just look at the difference in classified's prices on here lately..... Also, a factor, unfortunate for running a business in NYC is that so much of the population in NYC works long hours that locals don't always have time to get by the shop. I imagine running shop in NYC and surviving as long as they did wasn't necessarily an easy ride, so kudos on that.

But, plenty of other great retailers out there and an endless black hole of internet commerce, so definitely not the end of the world or the scene.
        Last edited by darkbydesign; 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• magic
          • Feb 2009

Wish they gives us an advance notice of the closing before to the public..
          Focusing on object details

Comment

• guardimp
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
            too many people, all mainly rude, and the experience honestly felt like Century 21 for rich kids, with the horrible behavior that we often make fun of. Watching people toss wonderfully tailored pieces on tables and then seeing them bump each other (like Black Friday at Walmart) just kinda blew my mind.
            This stuck out to me most when I went in today, it was the only time I've ever felt this kind of vibe from Atelier. I had no clue what to say when the rich kids started asking me if I worked there while discussing Rick and competing to see who could spend the most money quite loudly.

Comment

• drizzly
              Banned
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Tegro View Post
              I work for StyleForum (ack!) and interviewed Karlo Steel a few months ago. We talked quite a bit about ecommerce and Atelier.
              Bearing this in mind, I don't think lack of an ecommerce site was their undoing.
              By definition e-commerece means i can purchase something online which i couldn't do at atelier all i could do was click inquiry and get someone to email me back. That is not e-commerece, its more like phone sales because i'd have to coordinate a paypal transaction. I understand some people may have a diff of opinion but i work in tech. Please believe me if the company i work for did not have a check out system/flow we would not be considered e-commerece.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
                This stuck out to me most when I went in today, it was the only time I've ever felt this kind of vibe from Atelier. I had no clue what to say when the rich kids started asking me if I worked there while discussing Rick and competing to see who could spend the most money quite loudly.
                I went there around 1 and it was absolutely quiet. Still lots of beautiful pieces left.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• limeade
                  • Feb 2013

Is Atelier responding to inquiries via email?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

if you want something, best to call. By the time they may (or may not) get around to your e-mail, things could have been gone.
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• noirgt
                      • Oct 2012

anyone made the call successfully? tried several times today, still noone picked it up...

Comment

• dunglan7
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by noirgt View Post
                        anyone made the call successfully? tried several times today, still noone picked it up...
                        I've read somewhere on here that they disconnected their phone.

Comment

• Castor
                          • Nov 2009

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Antonioli 30% code: 30FW13
                          Originally posted by DRRRK
                          The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                            • Sep 2010

^^^

Thank goodness

Comment

• Haven
                              • Oct 2011

Wow, indeed surprising news about Atelier. Heard during Paris fashion week that they were closing the physical store and was going to be online exclusively, but closing all together?!

Oh, on topic. Gilt has 60-70% on some Rick and Orimono has received a big stock of Obscur archive collections, seems like ss13 and earlier, all sold at -50%.

Comment

• sCrAtChy
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                                and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Antonioli 30% code: 30FW13
                                Code meant for particular account based? Tried using it to purchase some RO sunglasses and was unable to apply.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎