Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Just got out to see A Serious Man. Unsurprisingly as a pretty consistent Coen brothers fan, I liked it quite a bit.
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Saw The Road today. It cannot hold a candle to the book. They made it too sappy, which took out the quiet dignity that underpins the entire struggle of the human v. inhuman in the book. Some very important lines have been taken out, replaced by the sappy masses-satisfying banalities. The score was awful, adding to the sappiness. IMO, that film should not have had music at all. I mean the whole world is fucking dead, including language and sound, what music?! Of course they also left out the last two pages of the book, which make the book a hopeful one. Not impressed at all. I was smitten and devastated by the book, only to be uplifted at the end. I felt absolutely emotionless, merely voyeuristic during the film. Viggo Mortensen was unconvincing as well, although that could've been poor direction.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

It's a shame to hear the way the ending was handled. It was a hard passage to visualize I'd imagine, but I think the optimism peeking through was crucial to completing the story and what made the whole thing worthwhile.
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

Finally saw the White Ribbon, and to me it is on the same level as The Night of the Hunter (but obviously reversed)
          Definately the best movie I've seen in a good long while. I especially love how Haneke has remained just as strongly iconoclastic, but in a much subtler way. In today's politically correct society, making the priest a good man and the doctor a bad one is quite brave, but he doesn't make a fuss about it. this is just an example, but the movie is laced with subtext and commentary but in a totally unobtrusive and almost invisible way.
          My head is still filled with its images and atmosphere, I can't recommend it enough

Comment

• polishmike
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Viggo Mortensen was unconvincing as well, although that could've been poor direction.
            It probably was. I saw the director speak about another project and he seemed very unimaginative. Was the score by Nick Cave? He works with him a lot.
            I still didn't see The Road, I might just pass on it and just stay with the book.

Comment

• deius
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by galia View Post
              In today's politically correct society, making the priest a good man and the doctor a bad one is quite brave, but he doesn't make a fuss about it. this is just an example, but the movie is laced with subtext and commentary but in a totally unobtrusive and almost invisible way.
              My head is still filled with its images and atmosphere, I can't recommend it enough
              Yeah I finally got around to watching it tonight. The pace is mesmerising, alternating between the lulling monotony of everyday life and the terrible crimes that go on in the village. The political undertone is equally or even more sophisticated than in Hidden.
              I would read that profile, Faust, but I don't subscribe.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by polishmike View Post
                It probably was. I saw the director speak about another project and he seemed very unimaginative. Was the score by Nick Cave? He works with him a lot.
                I still didn't see The Road, I might just pass on it and just stay with the book.
                I thought The Proposition was a good film...also agree w/ Ebert who said this guy seems to have a leaning towards McCarthy-ish stuff.

the idea of sticking with the book may be a good idea...
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• almroth
                  • Jul 2008

I watched trois couleurs: bleu last night. fausts poster made me curious, and wow. this is defiently one of those movies I will watch regulary. It's captured so beautifully and juliette binoche is brilliant in it. although it's a sad story, it's almost comforting..

Comment

• polishmike
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                    I thought The Proposition was a good film...also agree w/ Ebert who said this guy seems to have a leaning towards McCarthy-ish stuff.

the idea of sticking with the book may be a good idea...
                    Proposition was just so empty. I had no connection to the characters at all. Everyone kills everyone. Never before done in a western

Hillcoat was in consideration to direct a film based on James Dickey novel, so I guess he likes the McCarthy-ish stuff. I just don't think that he's a good director.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by almroth View Post

I watched trois couleurs: bleu last night. fausts poster made me curious, and wow. this is defiently one of those movies I will watch regulary. It's captured so beautifully and juliette binoche is brilliant in it. although it's a sad story, it's almost comforting..
                      Red and White are worth watching as well. I think Red is the best one, but White is a definite underdog.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                        • Nov 2007

Saw The Road today. It cannot hold a candle to the book. They made it too sappy, which took out the quiet dignity that underpins the entire struggle of the human v. inhuman in the book. Some very important lines have been taken out, replaced by the sappy masses-satisfying banalities. The score was awful, adding to the sappiness. IMO, that film should not have had music at all. I mean the whole world is fucking dead, including language and sound, what music?! Of course they also left out the last two pages of the book, which make the book a hopeful one. Not impressed at all. I was smitten and devastated by the book, only to be uplifted at the end. I felt absolutely emotionless, merely voyeuristic during the film. Viggo Mortensen was unconvincing as well, although that could've been poor direction.
                        i knew it
                        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

Red and White are worth watching as well. I think Red is the best one, but White is a definite underdog.
                          when they came out in theatres
                          blue>white>red

in retrospect
                          white>blue (a close second)
                          red ( not even close)
                          Irene Jacob can't even come close to binoche or delpy.
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I initially liked Bleu the best as well. You may be right about Jacob, but I thought the story of Red was much better, especially with the judge. Of course the story of White is also fantastic.

I should watch them again, it's been a while.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                              i knew it
                              me too. still had to see it though.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
                                • Jul 2008

Wait, Is white the one about the Polish immigrant who travels home hidden in a suitcase , Is it the same movie where he meets a older man while playing music on the subway who asks him to assist in suicide???

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎