Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you find it harder to make friends/ develop relationships because of fashion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aleks
    • Feb 2009

Do you find it harder to make friends/ develop relationships because of fashion?

As I get deeper and deeper into zeitgeist it feels as if I am losing many of the people around me and becoming more and more detached from the people around me. I keep getting disappointed whenever I bring the subject of fashion up whenever I'm in the company of friends or prospective relationships, thus making me feel a bit alienated and awkward.

I do live in Vancouver, and I am planning on going to design school, which does make it a bit more extreme compared to living in New York or London.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Do you find it harder to find girlfriends/boyfriends because of your fashion taste?
    • Oct 2008

what do you mean you're "dissapointed" when you bring up fashion with your friends?

my friends couldn't give two shits about clothes or fashion... doesn't really make a difference...

Comment

• Schadenfreude
      • Jan 2008

you shouldn't be disappointed in other people because their interests differ from yours.

and i try to dress without yelling "HEY IM INTO FASHION" so normally the fashion thing doesnt even come up until later on.

like when i bring home something and the girl says it was HOW MUCH?

i dont think i'd want a girlfriend that had an interest in high fashion, we'd be broke way too often.
      Originally posted by ddohnggo
      fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• dji
        • Feb 2008

Comment

• eat me
          • May 2009

No point talking fashion to people not interested in it. Especially, if trying to have a lengthy discussion, not just 'oh my god your bag is like so amazing, like where did you get it'. Just get on with the usual subjects haha.

Comment

• Aleks
            • Feb 2009

I guess not then.
            Must be going a bit mental right now.

Comment

• genzou2.0
              • Jul 2008

u live in vancouver as in bc?

Comment

• Test
                • Dec 2008

The problem is expecting things out of friends that your initial friendship was never based on. I got lucky and a couple of my friends are into clothes - one of them is even a guy! But did you become friends with any of your current acquaintances based on clothing? Do they match your aesthetic at all? When I talk about Ann D (to the limited degree I can) to my friends, they have no interest and I should expect that. But when I show them Geller, it sparks their interest, and we can talk.

People change in different ways. Just wait for the thrilling conversation you'll have when your friends decide to become lawyers or investment bankers or accountants. Good luck when they get excited about that and you're trying to explain what a sloper is.

Comment

• Babyshamble
                  • Apr 2009

I can relate :)

It's not like all I talk about is fashion related topics, I don't, but I WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT MORE :) and find that my friends interests are becoming further away from mine. They will spend $300 on a night out partying whereas I will spend $300 on a new piece. They talk about what happened last night and I will hide my purchases because they think I'm a shopaholic.

This is why I so want to join you all in Paris, and discuss things we have in common.

Comment

• Alesha
                    • Apr 2009

When you don a mask, other people do not recognise you.

Fashion should be symbiotic expression of what you are, rather than a mask. When you do not have balance between what you are and what you wear you create a dissonance by your presence, and people turn from you.

Do not go to design school. Study sociology or psychology ;)
                    Originally posted by interest1
                    I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• Aleks
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Test View Post
                      The problem is expecting things out of friends that your initial friendship was never based on. I got lucky and a couple of my friends are into clothes - one of them is even a guy! But did you become friends with any of your current acquaintances based on clothing? Do they match your aesthetic at all? When I talk about Ann D (to the limited degree I can) to my friends, they have no interest and I should expect that. But when I show them Geller, it sparks their interest, and we can talk.

People change in different ways. Just wait for the thrilling conversation you'll have when your friends decide to become lawyers or investment bankers or accountants. Good luck when they get excited about that and you're trying to explain what a sloper is.
                      Well I'm lucky that my roommate is pretty into these things, and he does know about zeitgeist. We get pretty competitive with it though. He's a bit more into Julius type things and torn hems and threaded shirts while I'm more into Ann D with the odd julius/rick day.

I've not really made too many friends that have the same aesthetic as me but i have made a few that have an interest in design and dressing up (all girls though!)

and yes i do live in the fashion wasteland (after Komakino) that is Vancouver B.C.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

are you under 20? I'm asking because at that age, its probably not uncommon to realize that yout interests start heading their own way and so do those of everyone else. it might feel like you're somehow drifting apart from the people you know but at some point you'll realize that it shouldn't really affect your relationship with others. if it does, I'm not sure what kind of a relationship it is to begin with.

I consider myself to be quite obsessive about clothing, but it doesn't affect how I interact with my friends. none of my closest friends are into fashion apart from shopping for new sneakers, so I don't really talk about it with them and I don't see a need to force it either. actually last night a guy I've knowns for 21 years was telling me how he found a good fitting pair of jeans for $20, I smiled and said thats not bad.

as for living in a fashion wasteland, unless you live in a metropolis chances are the typical aesthetics here are not well known or understood. I live in a city where I could almost guarantee that not a single person knows a majority of the shit I wear, but I don't really care because thats not why I'm into it anyway.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• snafu
                          • Apr 2008

I don't understand why fashion, art, music, literature, food, film anything should prohibit anyone from developing relationships. You should still be able to see things others view, see what their passions are and why they have them. Sure clothing without a doubt is what i feel most strongly about right now but that doesn't mean in five years time all my friends have to have the same interest in clothing as me. I might not even really be into clothing then i might have discovered something else.
                          My closest and best friend can see and appreciate clothes for what they are and why i spend what i do on them. But he never really spends money on clothes, the reason being he spends his money on music. He introduces me into other things it would be boring if all i could ever talk about are clothes it feels almost to consumer esq.
                          Really the clothes i feel strongly about probably are more related to art and expression rather than a look or an aesthetic.
                          Despite feeling strongly about clothes i still feel travel and general life experiences are far higher than any garment you can wear.
                          Don't get me wrong i want to pursue a career in clothing and garments because i do feel strongly about them.
                          Last edited by snafu; 05-21-2009, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
                            Seriously. Dude, if you are willing to lose friends because they aren't into fashion, you got problems. Surely there are many other things in your life to talk about, and many of them probably more important than fashion?
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

thank you faust, although I think that gif was an appropriate enough response ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎