• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Comme des Garcons Homme Plus - FW08/09 - Paris

Hmm, Johnny didn't post this yet. I hope he liked it! [66]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Comme des Garcons Homme Plus - FW08/09 - Paris

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

I really can't say I am or ever have been a big CDG fan but this just doesn't do it for me. It's just patches sewn on to suits and for some odd reason, it all looks sloppy to me.
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

The theme of the show, as per Ms. Horyn of the New York Times

"The music at Comme des Garcons was American, straight from the
            Depression 30s?that weakly cheerful paper moon song, etc. Rei
            Kawakubo?s show, held at a cheesy nightclub on the Rue de Rivoli,
            opened with washed tartan jackets over T-shirts and wool shorts with
            half kilts around the front. Punk was my initial thought. But then, out
            came crushed top hats, ransom-note style graphics that invoked store
            close-outs, and jackets with hems that had been cut to resemble severe
            wear. Of course fashion shows held in nightclubs, however cheesy, are
            ?nothing but make-believe,? to use a line from one of the songs, but
            there was a pessimism about this collection. Although I prefer Kawakubo
            when she is more abstract and less literal, and more in one of her
            world-breaking moods, she touches on the fact that these are hard
            times, and in so many ways beyond market slumps. There is also
            something confrontational about the clothes, apparent in the
            ransom-note graphics, and I imagine it?s aimed in the direction of the
            luxury makers."

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sbw4224
              • Sep 2006

I'm imagining this without the patches and with less script on the shirts and it's not bad, but not great. I find patches to be a fairly lazy approach to design, regardless of what political or social message they might preach.

A few nice pieces that are fairly classic CDG, such as that last coat with wooden buttons, are sprinkled in here, but on a whole this is a fairly disappointing collection.

I was hoping for a progression of CDG's spring layering idea, but instead all we got were Hot Topic pants with pseudo-social commentary patches. [N]

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

Thanks for posting Faust. I couldn't bring myself to do it.......

As well as being pretty irrelevant to mostif not all here at sz, this is pretty much irrelevant to everyone isn's it? I find it faintly embarassing in fact. You can deal with all of the comments in favour - like nice fabrics in parts, nice tartan (or glen plaid as the americans call it(another irritation)), the details around one fabric tearing away to show another, erm interesting hats (I'm struggling here) - by pointing out that all of it has been done to death before. Political statements patched onto jackets!Give me a break.Vivienne Westood! I can't think of anyone more irrelevant to modern fashion than her.And more fundamentally, at least from a consumer perspective,it looks really really shit. It doesn't really matter to me that there are a couple of OK plain black polyester jackets there.

What's mostdissappointing is that spring summer looks pretty fresh and the three jackets idea is one that I think caught peoples imagination. This is just a backwards step.Just when we need someone to challenge the dominance and ubiquity of the darkdrapeysludgyhero, this comes up. Makes me want to be a darkdrapeysludgyhero.

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

[quote user="Johnny"]

Thanks for posting Faust. I couldn't bring myself to do it.......

As well as being pretty irrelevant to mostif not all here at sz, this is pretty much irrelevant to everyone isn's it? I find it faintly embarassing in fact. You can deal with all of the comments in favour - like nice fabrics in parts, nice tartan (or glen plaid as the americans call it(another irritation)), the details around one fabric tearing away to show another, erm interesting hats (I'm struggling here) - by pointing out that all of it has been done to death before. Political statements patched onto jackets!Give me a break.Vivienne Westood! I can't think of anyone more irrelevant to modern fashion than her.And more fundamentally, at least from a consumer perspective,it looks really really shit. It doesn't really matter to me that there are a couple of OK plain black polyester jackets there.

What's mostdissappointing is that spring summer looks pretty fresh and the three jackets idea is one that I think caught peoples imagination. This is just a backwards step.Just when we need someone to challenge the dominance and ubiquity of the darkdrapeysludgyhero, this comes up. Makes me want to be a darkdrapeysludgyhero.

Linea will make you one for $6000 over sartorialoft.

i can't believe looking at this that i actually own a few homme plus coats that i would never part with

[/quote]
                  One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

[86] yes, i saw that!

Comment

• deleuze
                      • Jul 2007

I don't know about all the branding on the patches within the context of the collection. I guess it must beirony . . .

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

ever since that rolling stone (patches) collection a few years back has the label gone south and quickly
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• deleuze
                          • Jul 2007

There are some pieces that I do like though. It has a similar vibe to Junya's collection last year just replacing most the meat with some added cheese.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎