X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Antwerp Academy 2007 Graduation show

Thought I would post this up, there's some very talented designers here.

Marc Philippe Coudeyre

Jae Keun Hwang

Taro Horiuchi

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: Antwerp Academy 2007 Graduation show

3rd year students.

Antonin Tron

Serkan Cura

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]
      Thought I would post this up, there's some very talented designers here.

Marc Philippe Coudeyre

Jae Keun Hwang

Taro Horiuchi

[/quote]

These are stunning. I LOVE the swirled drape of that Coudeyre piece and the reworking of Samurai armor into a look is a fresh take (to me at least...there may have been others before him) on the asiatic look.

The last two photos of Horiuchi's are just nice. Very airy.

Thanks Cas!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

yea, the coat on the left is awesome! Thanks, Casius.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

No problem!
          Of course there were many more designers in the show, but I just picked the handful I thought were exceptional. Now I guess we'll have to wait and see if thier names pop up later.

This is one of my favs. Looks like RO and Julius mixed together and the wetsuit is a cool touch as I think the neoprene fits in well with the other fabrics.

Comment

• sbw4224
            • Sep 2006

Thanks for posting this Casius. I think it's a great example of all the talent that will one day be a force in fashion. I for one welcome new designers and ideas. It's amazing to see the level of maturity in some of these collections compared with collections from other schools. Thumbs up to Belgian fashion school teachers!

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="sbw4224"]Thanks for posting this Casius. I think it's a great example of all the talent that will one day be a force in fashion. I for one welcome new designers and ideas. It's amazing to see the level of maturity in some of these collections compared with collections from other schools. Thumbs up to Belgian fashion school teachers![/quote]

Exactly! You look at this, and then you look at something established out of London like Preen, and this is sooooooo much better.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

A little film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boNlZe5zcAI

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="sbw4224"]Thanks for posting this Casius. I think it's a great example of all the talent that will one day be a force in fashion. I for one welcome new designers and ideas. It's amazing to see the level of maturity in some of these collections compared with collections from other schools. Thumbs up to Belgian fashion school teachers![/quote]

Exactly! You look at this, and then you look at something established out of London like Preen, and this is sooooooo much better.

[/quote]

Would you say that the fact that thse pieces are more to showcase the designer's talent and ideas than to create a marketable collection has a strong impact on what is being created? I definitely think there is some of that, this is more like costume design than fashion design imho, which is wonderful to behold but not sustainable, especially for young talents entering the fashion scene.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• therapysessions
                    • Jul 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

Would you say that the fact that thse pieces are more to showcase the designer's talent and ideas than to create a marketable collection has a strong impact on what is being created? I definitely think there is some of that, this is more like costume design than fashion design imho, which is wonderful to behold but not sustainable, especially for young talents entering the fashion scene.

[/quote]

It definetly is more about exploring the "creativity" in design and complexity of craftsmanship rather than the marketability.

I have a friend that is currently in her junior year at the royal academy and from the get go it has always been about "how crazy can you make it" I enjoy the work that is being created, but it is very hard for me to see many of these students ending up being successful even among avant garde circles. These types of designers survive by having dedicated, cult followings and that is a very hard thing to get in comparison to much safer designs.

I had to put creativity in quotations because I feel as designers, you are still creating a product to be sold, so you must work within that realm of being salable in order to survive as a designer. That's where I find it the most challenging, the proper balance. These types of designs I feel are much easier to create that what most people would consider "boring" because there seems to be a disregard for that factor, you can go wild.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I doubt that (m)any of these will go on their own right away. I think the complexity and the craziness of the designs is meant to turn the heads of the likes of Margiela and van Bierendonck in order to land a job there, before striking out on one's own.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎