• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael_kard
    • Oct 2010

Panos Yiapanis interview

LINK.

I think this man is a genius and he is really private, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover this very personal, highly detailed and quite long interview. He discusses his early work, the appearance of styling in popular culture, trends, his work with dick etc. Great interview.

Lol at the spam comments. There's even a few of them about spam.

-

I couldn't help but identify my experiences with the extract below.

As a teenager, what was your relation with fashion?

‘(Immediately) Ralph Lauren. I used to wear Ralph Lauren ’cause I grew up in Athens. And I wasn’t your… picture of manhood, in a way. I went to quite an affluent school, even though we weren’t affluent by any means. So it was very much a part of Greek society that was very bourgeois and very snobbish. Their dress code was very much Timberland boots, Emporio Armani jeans and a Polo Ralph Lauren shirt. So as not to be completely ostracised, I tried to fit in by adopting that uniform. It didn’t work, but I still insisted on having all the shades of pastel Polo shirts. It’s pathetic.’
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fantastic interview - thanks for posting. EVERYONE should read this.

I couldn't agree more with the below.

"You have certain stylists whose work is discussed less than their personal appearance. Although I think it’s great that there’s a correlation between the two. I always find it strange when you see a stylist’s work and it’s a very extreme vision and then you see them walking around in a cashmere scarf and a suit. But I don’t know if that’s just because of the way I went about things. Maybe for some people the final image is all that matters. But for me it’s more the instinct that informed that image"
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
      • Mar 2009

Was a great read, thanks Mixalh.
      I've met Pano on a few occasions over the years and he is a very placid lovely guy and I have been a fan of his work for a while. I totally agree with the latter half of the interview where he talks about the state of the industry today and about certain publications. For me he hit the nail on the head.
      merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎