Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DamageX
    • Dec 2008

As far as the pants are concerned, I don't see any problems with the high waist. I've always found the high waist (from wearing them as a kid in the 90s haha) to be much more comfortable then pants that are worn on the hips, and it's not like I ever tuck in shirts anyway . I think most people that wear Rick don't tuck the shirt, so a high waist probably doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by DamageX; 01-19-2012, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

I like high wasted pants...holds in my gunt.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Patroklus
        Banned
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
        well. upon further inspection, there are a few pieces i like. mostly among the tailored joints.

quick and possibly stupid question. is there any reason why we can't wear those high waisted pants from the first few looks low on the hips like a normal person and just let them sag all drop crotchy style and overcome the diaper effect so common with rick?
        Depends on how they're tailored. Generally a high waisted pant is too narrow in the waistband to slouch without sizing up, and will have an unappealing hip flare. It's usually better to wear pants the way they were designed to be worn.

Comment

• jogu
          • Jun 2009

lookin thru this again i like it more . i almost bought one of the long skirts for ss12 but i wont cos i have too many skirts alrdy , same for drop shorts , and wedges , and sheer tees , i already fuckin have too many variations of all that from rick so im glad this time its not redone over n over again . from my pov as a customer i see some good clothes here that i dont have from him like trousers and some tops that arent tees . every season i look thru each stores rick buys and im like hmm ya thats cool but i alrdy have a cropped jacket and ill end up only buyin maybe 2 things from the collection cos i just dont want more of the same .
          i totally get why some ppl are thinkin omg this blows and its the worst rick ever but i like it and one reason is theres alot more choices for me to buy stuff that i dont alrdy have from him . i dont even consider this collection as tame , it still seems pretty out there but this time its not the same ol formula of skorts / boots / leather jacket

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

patroklus - that was my fear and looking at the pics it looks like they do have a narrow waist/hip flare thing going on.

jogu - i get what you're saying and it does look like "growth" or "evolution" or whatever u wanna call it but my first impression was similar to BSR's: novelty for novelty's sake. but lord knows we'd be railing on rick if he'd gone the other way and re-hashed the same old hits. i guess its just not compelling to me. and it doesn't really feel like rick. i like it more than when i first looked it over. we'll see...

those cropped jackets give grandma's aviators a run for their money.
            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

I'd have preferred something different that didn't suck. I like high waisted pants and cropped jackets and yet I find nothing appealing about Rick's efforts in those directions.

Also, button stance reminds me of Thom Browne. I never, ever want to be reminded of Thom Browne.

Comment

• trentk
                • Oct 2010

The collection looks significantly better when viewed from the waist up or the side:

still though, I'm not digging the high-waisted pants. brings to mind images like this:
                "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

I was thinking the same when I saw the detail shots that focused on the upper. One major flaw in the styling for me are the sneakers. With boots the high waisted stuff would look much better. Also, first time I am seeing sneakers on the runway since he started men's shows, at least for fw ( I don't count the vagina sneakers ).
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                    • Nov 2008

I guess I see your point, Beuys, the pants might look neat with some CCP sidezips.

..But even so...
                    Originally posted by philip nod
                    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• theconsumer
                      • Feb 2009

For those wondering, the name of the collection is WUT

(just a joke, but with truth in it )

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                        i like it. in a weird way i feel stronger about this than any other winter collection i've seen from rick. at least on first glance.

re: the art/fashion thing discussed above. fashion strikes me as much more vital and artlike than art these days and vice versa.
                        Couldn't agree more. Good design is more exciting these days than the art stalemate.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Couldn't agree more. Good design is more exciting these days than the art stalemate.
                          I believe that's where the problem lies. This "exciting" thing. I would never apply this to the artworks I love.
                          I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                          I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                            • May 2008

Jeez guys, what's wrong with excitement and novelty... well, at least we are not comparing the use of whales on sweaters to Borges' use of the labyrinth.
                            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

from www.style.com

PARIS, January 19, 2012
                              By Tim Blanks

Rick Owens has mountains on his mind. He named today's show after them. And next week, Giorgio Pace Projects is launching Magic Mountain, an exhibition of his furniture, in St Moritz. A mountain makes an ideal Owens metaphor: aspiration, inspiration (you climb it 'cause it's there), one step closer to heaven. There's more. Mountains are sport, so there was an aerodynamic quality in a snow-white shirt, with a collar that swooped back over the shoulder as if borne on a downhill wind. Maybe it was the thin mountain air that inspired the fragile aqua of another shirt. The stripes on small shearling jackets looked ski-ish. The white jersey pants they were paired with could also have been vintage skiwear at a pinch. And the final trio of padded, quilted coat, parka, and vest were clearly so down-filled as to resist the chill winds of Everest itself.

If the abstract sportiness was a new mood for Owens, so was the Steerpike silhouette that matched high-waisted, baggy-crotched pants to cropped, high-waisted jackets with narrow sleeves that seemed to stretch the arms. There was something young and street about the result, as opposed to the grand, ceremonial volumes that Owens specializes in. Of course, they were here too, in the form of the skirts that have become a signature item. The designer confessed to bemusement at the photos from Pitti Uomo of the peacocks that populate Tommy Ton's pictures, with their clashing colors and swathes of exotic stuff and sartorial details for days. "I always want one less button," Owens said. "But here I am with my black dress." And he laughed, appreciating the extremity of the notion. In the context of mountains, his skirts had a shamanic flair. Tibet, maybe. But it's another spiritual center that has really captured Owens' imagination. "My dream job? Head gardener at the Vatican," he said. "I could wear a robe all day." From his lips to the Pope's ears.

Comment

• Johnny
                                • Sep 2006

/\ precisely! how can it be a problem if you find something exciting? try "stimulating" instead - is that better? (cue semantic discussion on difference between excitment and stimulation)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎