• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

"The Button Up Shirt"

Since we've discussed basic tees, I've found a need to stock up on some oxford type button up shirts. I have the occasional Ann button up, a few older RAF shirts but I'd like to find something for everyday wear that fits well and wears well.

Anyone have any suggestions beyond the basic H&M, Uniqlo, type labels that come in at a decent price and have a good fit off of the rack for thinner guys with longer arms? I know it's sometimes hard to get a good fit with something like that without going full quality but surely there's an in between with a slimmer silhouette and better cut.

I don't need something with perfect stitching and lots of details. Just basic, comfortable button ups that fit a slimmer guy well.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

I've really been feelin' my Patrik Ervell shirts lately, as long as you don't mind a club collar. I think they are fantastically made for the price and I like that the fabric is nice but not too precious (especially the oxford cloth). He seems to have slimmed down the cut a bit (a few years ago a small was huge in the body) but they are still a little boxy because of the back box pleat, but I quite like the silhouette. Stephan Schneider shirts always look great, but a bit sleeker (covered buttons, slim fit, more precious fabric.)

I also really like Tim Hamilton because of the tiny collar and they are very short in the body which I prefer because I don't like to tuck. Might be too short for your height though.

If you want to go cheap (don't shoot me) I get a lot of mileage out of Jcrew shirts on lazy or hot days when I want to wear a button up.

I wish I had more Ann because I'm moving away from the formailty with which I used to dress, some designer shirts like Prada or Jil just feel like I'm dressing up for some corporate job I don't have, so I've been leaning toward the more casual Ervell shirts and hoping for more Ann when I can afford it.
    music

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

for oxford type button shirts I have always found Thom Browne fits my tall and relatively slim frame very well right off the rack; I am not an advocate of taking ready-to-wear clothes for tailoring.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• zeebee
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
        for oxford type button shirts I have always found Thom Browne fits my tall and relatively slim frame very well right off the rack; I am not an advocate of taking ready-to-wear clothes for tailoring.
        F2B, you're in HK aren't you? With the abundance of tailors here, have you ever tried taking a 'fave' shirt to a tailor to copy?

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

yes. it doesn't work. i've also tried taking a suit to "copy" with even more laughably frustrating results.
          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• surver
            • Oct 2007

gitman vintage - they're the company that makes thom browne shirts.

Gitman Vintage – a fine, American made shirt collection.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

yeah Gitman shirts are very nice as well - and likely much cheaper than the Browne.
              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• jgan85
                • Apr 2008

^Second FtB on Thom Browne.. but frankly for my budget off the rack Muji fits damn well, and the fabric's degree of thickness/stiffness is spot on for me.
                ________
                Ferrari Lampredi Engine
                Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• kunk75
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

Express shirts are cheap, well made, taper in the waist and are the right length for tucking. Ime, they fit like jil sander button ups.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                    • Aug 2008

On the somewhat cheaper end for buttondowns I really like agnes b: they're simple, well made and are usually dirt cheap used and on ebay. Newer CDG shirt isn't too bad either and they often have understated designs (although they have the crazy ones too). Slightly higher end but still good are undercover's dress shirts.

Comment

• ironman
                      • Apr 2008

dunno if the price is right, but i find that of designer dress shirts, my Yves Saint Laurent ones fit very well if not the best. they also have long-ish sleeves

one word of caution is they have a standard pointed collar, which i don't imagine many are a fan of? i dunno

Comment

• MikeN
                        • Nov 2007

I have a pile of thom browne button ups in my closet that I haven't worn in a long time, but when I did, they certainly served their purpose

Comment

• stretcheroo
                          • Nov 2009

I'm partial to John Varvatos; the "slim fit" is very nicely cut and not terribly long in the body. I myself have to go with the "classic" fat-boy fit.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

If you want cheaper than TB, try the Black Fleece. I think Ann's buttonups are too wide in the body, no?
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Castor
                              • Nov 2009

I like Uniqlo's button downs, especially +J for slim white cotton shirts.
                              Originally posted by DRRRK
                              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎