Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eleves
    • Sep 2012

I recently heard about a Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout aged in bourbon barrels! I'm late to the party with this one and have so far tried in vain to procure some. Anyone have any experience with this or know where I can still find some in NY?
    Originally posted by Faust
    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• 550BC
      • Jan 2013

Heineken?
      a fish out of water dies

Comment

• jap808
        • Dec 2012

If you live/travel to (north) Italy this weekend and if you like/want to try "acid" beers, don't miss this:
        il sito di mondo birra, un portale sulla birra, e sul mondo che la circonda, i sottobicchieri, le lattine, i bicchieri, le bottiglie, le birra alla spina, il collezionismo, l'homebrewing

They really have a wide and good selections of sour beers (but if you live in/travel frequently to Belgium, that will see not so wide ;)

Apart from this: as other told by others before, I really love the Kernel brewery (London) and Moor brewery (UK)...
        In general, when I'm thirsty, I like to drink ipas/apas/ales because of the bitterness and the low alcohol: I can drink many of them and feel clean, the day after.
        I like imperial stout too (I love to have one at the end of a dinner, it's like coffee and chocolate and beer all in one) and -sometimes- a sour...

Prost!

Comment

• Senpai
          • Apr 2014

Had the pleasure of trying this the other day. Imperial Stout aged in rum barrels with coffee, cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, and chilies.

Comment

• nomemorial
            • Jan 2013

Senpai, that looks/sounds delicious -- definitely picking one of those up soon.

I just had the OPB "Toasted Coconut Porter." Less than fantastic, not awful, just a bit underwhelming. The coconut flavor was hardly pronounced at all and the beer had a bit of an unpleasant, acidic quality that I wasn't a huge fan of.

On a more positive note, had Dogfish Head's "Festina Peche" the other night and it was surprisingly smooth without being coyingly sweet for a fruity beer.

Comment

• eleves
              • Sep 2012

I've been loving everything from Evil Twin lately. Freudian Slip and Even More Jesus are my two favorites so far.
              HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

^ I tried Evil Twin's Chocopologie and found it inconsumable. I mean I normally have trouble with chocolate beer anyway, but it literally made me gag with every sip.

Does anyone else have this issue with chocolate beer?
                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• eleves
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                  ^ I tried Evil Twin's Chocopologie and found it inconsumable. I mean I normally have trouble with chocolate beer anyway, but it literally made me gag with every sip.

Does anyone else have this issue with chocolate beer?
                  Hmm, never tried Chocopologie and I usually like chocolate stouts. They're definitely best when balanced with coffee notes like in Breakfast Stout. Have you ever tried that?

I've also been hearing good things about Bell's recently and I finally tried the Bell's Porter and it wasn't half bad. Some dark chocolate notes in there but you can't really recognize it.

Comment

• jap808
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                    Hmm, never tried Chocopologie and I usually like chocolate stouts. They're definitely best when balanced with coffee notes like in Breakfast Stout. Have you ever tried that?

I've also been hearing good things about Bell's recently and I finally tried the Bell's Porter and it wasn't half bad. Some dark chocolate notes in there but you can't really recognize it.
                    Just drink a chocolate stout from Rogue (USA): wonderful! Dry, not sweet, but with a fantastic chocolate aroma
                    http://www.rogue.com/rogue_beer/chocolate-stout/

Comment

• eleves
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jap808 View Post
                      Just drink a chocolate stout from Rogue (USA): wonderful! Dry, not sweet, but with a fantastic chocolate aroma
                      I like Rogue! I thought it was David Carradine on the label for a quick second but I'll definitely look out for this!

Comment

• jap808
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                        I like Rogue! I thought it was David Carradine on the label for a quick second but I'll definitely look out for this!
                        ahahaha: haven't seen the bottle with David on the label
                        The one I've drink was a draft beer...

Comment

• jap808
                          • Dec 2012

Speaking about my homecountry (Italy): I think that compared to wines' prices, artisanal beers are getting too expensive...

When you go out, you I could drink a good (I mean, really good, even not a super-tuscany or a champagne) bottle of red wine (think of a barbera) for Euro 15/18: you pay the peasant, the winemaker, the vineyard, the aging, barrels, the land, the hill exposure and so on... and could have enough wine for 2 person, eating out.

When we go out eating and decide to drink artisanal beers, we need at least 2 beers for person and that counts for a minimum of Euro 20, which pays the brewmaster, the hops (not the most expensive plant in the world) and -if you drink acid beer- some bacterias. No land or exposure problems, no weather problems, no expensive winemakers.
                          And 5 Euros/pint is for italian ale beer: if you choose some ipa/ale import from USA/UK, price'll grow. With acid beers, prepare to go higher.

ps: I understand that horrendous and commercial pi$$-like beer or chemical drinks like redbull costs quite as much as artisanal ales, but you have to pay the pit-stop, the villas, etc...

So, if wine's the benchmark, I would say that:
                          - redbull is madly overpriced
                          - industrial beers are terribly overpriced
                          - artisanal beers are overpriced

How's the situation in your country?

Comment

• mikemikemike
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by jap808 View Post
                            the hazelnut brown they do is very good also. not as dark obviously but i recommend a try if u can

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

^ agreed, had the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar at a restaurant in Chicago on the weekend and it was the best part of the meal.

Comment

• jap808
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by dji View Post
                                ^ agreed, had the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar at a restaurant in Chicago on the weekend and it was the best part of the meal.
                                Thanks: wil try it for sure, as soon as I'll found it

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎