Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Osseovs
    • Oct 2012

What would be the best approach/product for dyeing grey modal (100%) to black? I haven't seen anything on that material yet; wondering if anyone's dabbled with it or something similar.

Comment

• apathy!
      • Jan 2014

Used the velvet black Dylon in a top loader washing machine with some dark gray Julius denim.

I was hoping that it would come out black but it's really just a much darker gray. I'm a little bit dissapointed because I followed the instructions perfectly. Can't find a good before pic but this pic is very close.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

bad photos but you get the idea.

Comment

• LelandJ
        Banned
        • Apr 2014

Anyone have success dying 100 cotton garment in cold water to prevent shrinking? I have a casual blazer in a light taupe color I want to dye with iron into as dark as it'll go, but the jacket fits perfectly snug now and can't afford any shrink with traditional hot water process.

Comment

• zen dog
          • Jan 2014

Looks good apathy! Did you use soda ash as well? I saw it recommended by some tie dyers, not by manufacturer.

Also LelandJ I saw where Dylon has coldwater dye as well- haven't used it myself.
          Correction: not coldwater but 40degrees C is little above body temp. See lowrey's info above.
          Last edited by zen dog; 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM. Reason: wrong info

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
            Used the velvet black Dylon in a top loader washing machine with some dark gray Julius denim.

I was hoping that it would come out black but it's really just a much darker gray. I'm a little bit dissapointed because I followed the instructions perfectly. Can't find a good before pic but this pic is very close.

bad photos but you get the idea.
            doesn't look bad... you might get a darker result by doubling the dye amount.

The best results I've gotten have been by hand in a sink as there is less water and the dye is less diluted. use double the dye, plenty of salt and warm water, rinse the jeans in dye and let them sit for a while, rinsing and turning them a couple of times along the way. after this its easiest to throw them in the machine as it takes ages to wash all the excess dye out by hand. beware though, the dye can ruin anything it spills on, so you need a good sized sink and so on...
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post
              I realize that dyeing is an art & such but is there a specific technique to how LUC gets his pitch black pants to have a texture to them but more importantly how to retain the original un-dyed color at the seams.

I know cold dyeing might reproduce this but its impossible to get true blacks that way.

Maybe he uses a dye resist along all the seams?

I know Zamb has made pants with a similar effect but the effect is very apparent whilst Luca's is very subtle & only shows when the garment is stretched

Almost like its painted on
              I dont know luca's exact method, but from experience I think his approach may be same as mine. Possibly the only difference is that when our garments are made i do not press open the seams before the dyeing process of i want a really uneven evect with more obvious "whiteness" at the seasms. if the seams are gently pressed open before dyeing then tye effect is a bout the same as what you get on a LUC pants
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• mandrup
                • Oct 2009

Any thoughts on re-dyeing a black Carpe Diem cotton lab coat? The colour has faded a bit on the arms and lower back. Could I just throw it in washing machine with a full pack of Dylon?

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

Yea that should work, make sure you include salt. Personally I like to put the dye in one of those detergant cups/balls so that it dissolves evenly when the cycle starts. I use a 1hr 40C cycle with extra rinse, then afterwards I put on another cycle with a little bit of mild detergant just to make sure theres no dye left.

If the jacket has the grey tag and you want to preserve it, you need to detach it and stitch it back after thw dyeing.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎