Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

Could anyone recommend 21st century Russian works of literature, poetry, and/or literary theory? Thanks.

also, what is the name of that young (probably under 30, maybe very early 30's) literary writer (not well known, but known) who someone met at a party when they noticed that he was wearing a rick suit? (I think there is also a pic of him in a rick blazer in an article about him in the atlantic or something). I've been meaning to read one of his books for a while.
    Last edited by trentk; 10-31-2014, 09:27 PM.
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• MJRH
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Anyone else here who has no patience for Murakami? Please tell me I am not alone and the whole world has gone insane.
      i can only reassure you on the one half of that equation. (think we had this discussion here already.)

aka, was the dick bio a good read all the way through? the fellow was a favourite author of mine growing up, but haven't read anything of his in years. maybe this would make a nice reintroduction.
      ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• bukka
          • Sep 2011

Should we go Fuuma style to keep this thread alive? Not writing a single sentence and posting only an image? Just like what all mass media has become in the last decades?
          Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

No, we should not.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
              aka, was the dick bio a good read all the way through? the fellow was a favourite author of mine growing up, but haven't read anything of his in years. maybe this would make a nice reintroduction.
              i'm 2/3 in now and would definitely recommend it. the author does a fantastic job of interpreting and transporting the reader into pkd's singular mindstate. i plan to reread pkd after finishing this.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• GucciAmen
                • Sep 2014

About three quarters of the way through Faust right now, fantastic play. Thinking of reading another one of Goethe's masterpieces, "Werther". Does anyone have a suggestion for a future reading that is similar?

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                  i'm 2/3 in now and would definitely recommend it. the author does a fantastic job of interpreting and transporting the reader into pkd's singular mindstate. i plan to reread pkd after finishing this.
                  Carrère is an interesting biographer, as he doesn't try to hide the fact that sometimes he doesn't know, or that he doesn't like such and such thing in his subject, or that he essentially speaks of himself. His Limonov too deserves some attention.

Currently reading Tobias Wolff. I must admit I have mixed feelings about it. I loved In the garden of north american martyrs for the way he frames his stories in this collection - like haphazardly cut from bigger ones and thus possessing a very interesting way to begin and to close - but The Night in question seems a bit more classical. Same keen eye though.
                  I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                  I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• bukka
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                    Carrère is an interesting biographer, as he doesn't try to hide the fact that sometimes he doesn't know, or that he doesn't like such and such thing in his subject, or that he essentially speaks of himself. His Limonov too deserves some attention.
                    Limonov was good, but it's probably more due to the life of Limonov which is already some kind of a novel itself. What I like the most about Carrère is probably his friendship with Hervé Clerc. It's visible how much influence he had on him, Les choses comme elles sont. is worth reading for anyone interested in Buddhism.

Half-way through Molloy. Marvelous. Chauvier's sociolinguistic essay works as a complementary reading while reading Beckett. To all the french readers here, have a look to Les mots sans les choses, cheap and beautiful Allia edition. And smart.
                    Last edited by bukka; 11-17-2014, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                      About three quarters of the way through Faust right now, fantastic play. Thinking of reading another one of Goethe's masterpieces, "Werther". Does anyone have a suggestion for a future reading that is similar?
                      Master and Margarita by Bulgakov.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                        Limonov was good, but it's probably more due to the life of Limonov which is already some kind of a novel itself. What I like the most about Carrère is probably his friendship with Hervé Clerc. It's visible how much influence he had on him, Les choses comme elles sont. is worth reading for anyone interested in Buddhism.

Half-way through Molloy. Marvelous. Chauvier's sociolinguistic essay works as a complementary reading while reading Beckett. To all the french readers here, have a look to Les mots sans les choses, cheap and beautiful Allia edition. And smart.
                        Is Chauvier trying to recenter the social and it's accompanying enunciations in the lived experience of actors? Not too sure what is the agenda driving the book...

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Should we go Fuuma style to keep this thread alive? Not writing a single sentence and posting only an image? Just like what all mass media has become in the last decades?
                          C'mon, I'm sharing some interesting books I'm reading, the whole point is to say "read this, feel free to ask me questions if you are unsure". This isn't tumblr and I'm not looking for reputation or little

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                            • Mar 2009

Les choses comme elles sont. is worth reading for anyone interested in Buddhism.
                            Agreed.
                            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                              Is Chauvier trying to recenter the social and it's accompanying enunciations in the lived experience of actors?
                              Not able to reply in english.

Oui, en partie. Le but n'est pas seulement de mettre toutes ces fictions théoriques en échec en les plaçant dans un contexte et de faire apparaître leur capacité à écarter les anomalies, il s'agit avant tout de les rappeler au langage. Si tu comptes quelques sociologues parmi tes amis, tu ne seras pas étonné de les entendre dire que leur domaine d'étude peut fonctionner sans le passer au crible d'une critique linguistique. Voir même que les théories du langage n'ont rien à faire avec la socio (comme si la socio avait sa propre langue...).
                              Quant aux motivations personnelles de Chauvier, il semble évident que ce livre est une attaque en règle contre Laugier et la care theory. Mais ça, on s'en fout.

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                              C'mon, I'm sharing some interesting books I'm reading, the whole point is to say "read this, feel free to ask me questions if you are unsure". This isn't tumblr and I'm not looking for reputation or little
                              To tell why you liked a book, or to add a little insight when posting a recommandation, has nothing to do with rep or little
                              Anyway, as long as not everyone does the same, I guess it's ok. And, at least, you're keeping the thread alive.

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

Not able to reply in english.

Oui, en partie. Le but n'est pas seulement de mettre toutes ces fictions théoriques en échec en les plaçant dans un contexte et de faire apparaître leur capacité à écarter les anomalies, il s'agit avant tout de les rappeler au langage. Si tu comptes quelques sociologues parmi tes amis, tu ne seras pas étonné de les entendre dire que leur domaine d'étude peut fonctionner sans le passer au crible d'une critique linguistique. Voir même que les théories du langage n'ont rien à faire avec la socio (comme si la socio avait sa propre langue...).
                                Quant aux motivations personnelles de Chauvier, il semble évident que ce livre est une attaque en règle contre Laugier et la care theory. Mais ça, on s'en fout.

To tell why you liked a book, or to add a little insight when posting a recommandation, has nothing to do with rep or little
                                Anyway, as long as not everyone does the same, I guess it's ok. And, at least, you're keeping the thread alive.

I might pick it up although I am more interested in the borrowing of technical terms (think Freudian analysis) by the pop-culture sphere and their reworking into something that refers to but barely resemble their original use.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎