Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyguru
    • Jun 2008

WONG KEI is the best Chinese food I have ever had in london ... Think its in Soho behind the movie cinema

Comment

• uL7iMa
      • Oct 2010

no way!

I'm sorry to say, but I think there are much better Chinese food than Wong Kei. There's Four Seasons at Leicester Square and Bayswater, and Goldmine at Bayswater. The roasted duck is a must try at both restaurants!

If you're looking for somethign more classy, there's Royal China at Bayswater/Baker Street.

Comment

• Zenith
        • Jun 2009

I'm sorry to say, but I think there are much better Chinese food than Wong Kei. There's Four Seasons at Leicester Square and Bayswater, and Goldmine at Bayswater. The roasted duck is a must try at both restaurants!

If you're looking for somethign more classy, there's Royal China at Bayswater/Baker Street.
        If this was 8 years ago I'd agree with four seasons, and if were 3 years ago I'd def agree with goldmine (when did goldmine open again?), but I'm certain the char sui chef has since left goldmine (after having jumped ship from FS). Royal China is a safe bet, but go a little further down towards paddington and try out Pearl Liang. While it is on the decline its still leaps and bounds better than most places for cantonese.My personal new favorite is Princess Garden though. Or, if you want to pay near hakkasan prices, Royal china club.

I remember all the loitering I used to do as a broke student inside young chen, wong kei, Joy King Lau and Jen cafe many years back. Come to think of it, JKL is still massively popular with my HK friends.
        Last edited by Zenith; 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eleven crows View Post
          Any tips for flying to the UK from Asia? I'll be stopping over in Japan on my way and haven't booked my ticket out yet.
          I suggest using an airplane.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
            • Nov 2007

I thought Hawksmoor and Goodman were owned by the same people? Maybe I'm confusing it with a different place. Regardless, Goodman has amazing steaks and some of the best chips I've had in London.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

for the selfdestructive ones who want to leave this cruel planet the best way, I recommend lunch at Pitt Cue and dinner at Goodman.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Zenith
                • Jun 2009

I shall pray for your colon, that's a lot of meat based trauma in one day.

Comment

• widmerpool
                  • Nov 2010

I'm amazed to hear that Moscow's shittest steakhouse chain, Goodman, is any good in London. I assumed it was just one of those places opened by Russians for Russians.
                  http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• uL7iMa
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
                    If this was 8 years ago I'd agree with four seasons, and if were 3 years ago I'd def agree with goldmine (when did goldmine open again?), but I'm certain the char sui chef has since left goldmine (after having jumped ship from FS). Royal China is a safe bet, but go a little further down towards paddington and try out Pearl Liang. While it is on the decline its still leaps and bounds better than most places for cantonese.My personal new favorite is Princess Garden though. Or, if you want to pay near hakkasan prices, Royal china club.
                    nice! I'll be sure to give Princess Garden a try! I have no idea when Goldmine opened, I've only been going there as I've just started my studies in London not too long ago.

I tried Pearl Liang, but wasn't impressed by their food, and haven't been back since..

Comment

• jumpoff
                      • Jan 2008

Moving to London this autumn to study and will be staying for a year. I've been offered (quite expensive) student accommodation, and I'm not sure whether to accept or not. Anyone know how much I should expect to pay for a decent room a week/month if I want to live fairly close to LSE?

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by widmerpool View Post
                        I'm amazed to hear that Moscow's shittest steakhouse chain, Goodman, is any good in London. I assumed it was just one of those places opened by Russians for Russians.
                        I've only been there this one time, but seemed pretty good. they are very particular about their meat, apparently its either corn fed US beef or grass fed irish and scottish. we splitted a burger and a 250g fillet with my wife, and both were excellent.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                          • Jan 2011

dear SZ — who can recommend me a cheap and nice/clean hotel/hostel that is reasonably close to the center? is there anything? there must be something.
                          …and the Hoxton is booked out, already checked that.

we are flying in to see Trentemøller at Fabric — is that club nice?

Comment

• michael_kard
                            • Oct 2010

It's not bad if you're on drugs.
                            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by radio-aktivität View Post
                              dear SZ — who can recommend me a cheap and nice/clean hotel/hostel that is reasonably close to the center? is there anything? there must be something.
                              …and the Hoxton is booked out, already checked that.

we are flying in to see Trentemøller at Fabric — is that club nice?
                              If your objective is simply to have a bed,

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                If your objective is simply to have a bed,

http://easyhotel.com/
                                And if your budget stretches a bit beyond that, I quite like this:
                                The best East London Hotel in Bethnal Green offers you a lovely stay.Experience world-class service at Town Hall Hotel in London’s vibrant East End
                                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎