X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewhk
    • Jan 2007

Re: style inspirationz.

[quote user="Yan"]Yeah me too but that outfit on Dagobah when Yoda was training him was so cool.[/quote]

Luke's goth-Jedi wardrobe in ROTJ was the precursor to gothninja...

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

my outfit is pretty cool in this one
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• matthewhk
        • Jan 2007

cant see the pic pnod...or is there even one?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="random"]

[quote user="Faust"]random, i don't get it.
          [/quote]

i thought it wasprettypretentious and opionate to say one director was not compared to another tho i dont like SP either. This thread was about style inspiration rather than photography so im not gon talk much about it. But if you ask, i would sayeven tho i believethis movie would be much better if polanski was the director as in the original plan, i still like it a lot, esp the said scene.

[/quote]

That's not what I meant. I said I don't get how this inspires your style.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]i can see where random is coming from. maybe it wasn't a fully appropriate choice of inspiraton, but i am guessing he finds that image poetic and poignant.[/quote]

Well, being a Russian Jew, I naturally find this image disturbing, so I want to know what in this image inspires random. I don't see anything poetic in this image, nor in the whole idiotic film.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
              • Jan 2007

perhaps it was the color contrast and composition in that isolated framelike he said...it is disturbing though, i agree. one of the last things i feel when watching that is inspired.

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

matthew i was talking about my luke avatar

Comment

• ddohnggo
                  • Oct 2006

is luke wearing yohji or amadei?
                  Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                    • Nov 2007

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"]she's like the bottom of LOUBOUTINS. except more jewish.
                    [/quote]

lulz...too much

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• matthewhk
                      • Jan 2007

missed that voltaire comment the first time round...forgive me faust but i found that funny...

and luke looks more amadei than yohji.

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="matthewhk"]i can see where random is coming from. maybe it wasn't a fully appropriate choice of inspiraton, but i am guessing he finds that image poetic and poignant.[/quote]

Well, being a Russian Jew, I naturally find this image disturbing, so I want to know what in this image inspires random. I don't see anything poetic in this image, nor in the whole idiotic film.

[/quote]

Here?s something I posted in another cinema thread that pretty much sums up my position on Spielberg:

?Directors like Lucas and Spielberg [/B]have one major flaw that prevents them from achieving greatness; they present works that do not take into account the history of cinema that preceded them and how it has integrated the fabric of our (pop) culture, therefore aiming their films at an innocent spectator that does not exist. If an artist wants to contribute something that has been attempted before, he has to acknowledge that it was there; either by building an additional layer of meaning on top of the preceding one or by at least, referencing the previous works (think Quentin Tarantino). This false pretension of virginity, both on the part of the viewer and the filmmaker, is what keeps me from fully appreciating the films of these two directors.?

On the other hand I don?t see why Random couldn?t find inspiration in a very specific element of a Spielberg movie, I?m just opposed to lauding the supposed talent of Spielberg and his ilk.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• matthewhk
                          • Jan 2007

but Fuuma, isn't that point precisely what makes Lucas and Spielberg genius from the viewpoint of a commercial director? They have created a world of their own thatdoesn't particularly owe anything to the past nor resembled what was present (at various moments)and based on box office success and accolades clearly this 'innocent spectator that does not exist' theory doesn't ring true for a lot of people. I wouldn't call them the greatest direcors of all time, but at a certain point in time they were doing something original, and at the very least their works are accessible if nothing else.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                            • Nov 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"]

?Directors like Lucas and Spielberg [/b]have one major flaw that prevents them from achieving greatness; they present works that do not take into account the history of cinema that preceded them and how it has integrated the fabric of our (pop) culture, therefore aiming their films at an innocent spectator that does not exist. If an artist wants to contribute something that has been attempted before, he has to acknowledge that it was there; either by building an additional layer of meaning on top of the preceding one or by at least, referencing the previous works (think Quentin Tarantino). This false pretension of virginity, both on the part of the viewer and the filmmaker, is what keeps me from fully appreciating the films of these two directors.?

[/quote]

That's a brilliant observation Fuuma. This is exactly what bothers me about these two directors and mainstream Hollywood in general although I was never able to elucidate the problem as precisely as you did in the paragraph above.

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

this is an interesting viewpoint, the infantalizing of the viewer, but star wars was a kurosawa hidden fortress rip, and i'm sure there are many other inspirations form previous films. tarantino can appeal to art house name checking sensibility which gets really old really fast, but doesn't it stand to reason that their massive success is built upon their knowledge of film history and Lucas' ability to pull a film like SW out of the ether.

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]this is an interesting viewpoint, the infantalizing of the viewer, but star wars was a kurosawa hidden fortress rip, and i'm sure there are many other inspirations form previous films. tarantino can appeal to art house name checking sensibility which gets really old really fast, but doesn't it stand to reason that their massive success is built upon their knowledge of film history and Lucas' ability to pull a film like SW out of the ether.
                                [/quote]

Indeed, but that is precisely why their position is an untenable one from the point of view of intellectual honesty; they aren?t outsider artists and know their cinematic history, they just fail to acknowledge their borrowing in their work and go as far as making viewers complicit, asking them to fake an innocence they surely don?t possess, which is the only way their movies can work, although, to me, the whole thing reeks of a dysfunctional relationship.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎