• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • etgreg
    • Jan 2011

resolution653

Thanks for the link.

You and I have both noted the brilliance of Rrose. Most DJ/Producers are good at one or the other, including the ones mostly linked here. Rrose is epic in both areas, his ability to map a set is unequalled. I would say he is so far ahead of everyone else that the ladder must feel completely kicked out from beneath them. I'm not saying others are not good; he's just that far ahead.

Here's PROOF!

"Although Duchamp now offers everything from trench coats to trousers, the core of the collection is very much occasion wear for men who love dressing up, with velvet tuxedos and evening dresses for e

His production side is just as strong. He seems to calculate every track like a mathematician calculating problems, but yet he has a very organic and fluid sound that just keeps mysteriously unraveling.

I also will expand on my Paul Rose (AKA Scuba) view point as promised soon. Both of these DJ/Producers are at the top, they just have a different approach. but, also have a lot of similarities that I will discuss.

resolution653, let's keep this going. There is so much more to this than just sending links to YouTube tracks. We need discussion like the other threads.

Hey I like/wear RO too :)

Comment

• resolution653
      • Nov 2013

Agreed on all points, etgreg.

Feels good reading those words, knowing that you are passionate and appreciate those releases just as much as I. Mentioned previously about a couple years ago anonymous white label releases, and producers using aliases putting out stuff it seemed like every other week. When the Rrose releases dropped in 2011, especially Merchant of Salt, that blew my mind, didn't care "who" it was. Three years later, the first interview I read about him was yesterday from the LWE link.

Quite interesting learning about the stage persona. I can't but help but think of Terre Thaemlitz. Are you familiar with her work ?

Tho Terre has been producing house tracks that have a deep connection to the ball (drag) culture, gender issues, I would never of thought of someone exploring that with techno to be honest, it's mind opening for sure. All this coming from a producer putting out some of the best techno at the moment... amazing.

Look forward to hearing what ya have to say on Scuba. Haven't heard much from him recently, was into Hotflush for awhile but just haven't kept up. "Triangulation" I do recall diggin very much tho when it dropped.

Comment

• brettwagg
        • Jan 2013

New Function + Vatican Shadow collaboration that just came out is really phenomenal. Function's stellar production of melodies from V.S. that normally sound a bit messy pulls it together. Solid listen start to finish.

Comment

• antabaka
          • Mar 2013

this absolutely slays

Comment

• antabaka
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by brettwagg View Post
            New Function + Vatican Shadow collaboration that just came out is really phenomenal. Function's stellar production of melodies from V.S. that normally sound a bit messy pulls it together. Solid listen start to finish.

oh yes, games have rules rocks

speaking of collaborations, have you listened to ugandan methods x prurient's dial b for beauty yet?
            i've been waiting all summer for it to come out

Comment

• applecrisp
              • Jun 2013

As someone who lives in Detroit and has been to Berghain (twice. It's easily the most absolutely perfect place I've been in my life), it's a bit embarrassing to ask, but how do I get started in this genre?

I suppose the best comparison would be someone asking how to get into punk... the usual beginner suggestions would be Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, NY Dolls, Stooges and then from there maybe Misfits, Adolescents and Socal stuff, then post punk, math, etc. and whatnot and then kinda figure it out from there.

Is there a general beginners point? The genre and subgenres are so vast and dense I've had a hard time in the past really grasping any of it and give up too easily.

Thanks!

Comment

• Soul Pill
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by applecrisp View Post
                Is there a general beginners point? The genre and subgenres are so vast and dense I've had a hard time in the past really grasping any of it and give up too easily.

Thanks!

Comment

• applecrisp
                  • Jun 2013

That Basic Channel track is really great, definitely my favorite of the bunch. Thanks a lot. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

• brettwagg
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by antabaka View Post
                    oh yes, games have rules rocks

speaking of collaborations, have you listened to ugandan methods x prurient's dial b for beauty yet?
                    i've been waiting all summer for it to come out
                    I've listened to a couple tracks that have been posted online so far, one of them was really great, the other one was so-so. I've been into Prurient since Black Vase came out and when I heard about this collab I felt that it could be really great or awful depending on the vocal execution. I wasn't disappointed from what I heard

Comment

• etgreg
                      • Jan 2011

resolution653, sorry for the delayed response.

I find Terre Thaemlitz to be a very complex, but sincere person that goes way beyond just music. Incredibly smart, and a top notch producers, one of the more interesting persons in the industry.

Faye Wong - Shame (DJ Sprinkles private edit)

If we keep going like this I will start dropping ambient sounds from the Cocteau Twins.

I'm not smart enough to keep up with this one :)

Comment

• antabaka
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by brettwagg View Post
                        I've listened to a couple tracks that have been posted online so far, one of them was really great, the other one was so-so. I've been into Prurient since Black Vase came out and when I heard about this collab I felt that it could be really great or awful depending on the vocal execution. I wasn't disappointed from what I heard
                        i really liked it!

Comment

• resolution653
                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by applecrisp View Post
                          but how do I get started in this genre?
                          I'd recommend to check https://hardwax.com/ and http://boomkat.com/ just dig around and preview releases, look up their labels on discogs, related artists and such.

etgreg, feel the same way regarding Thaemlitz. Listened to his RMBA lecture more than once.

But yea, back to techno

Just spent the last hour or so listening to, SA's Five Years of Artefacts and Broken English Club & Silent Servant - Violence And Divinity. Really great tracks, Rrose - Drowned by Sight has my vote for best of the year and I like where Silent Servant is going, I hear a Cabaret Voltaire influence in these latest tracks...

Listening to Dial B for beauty previews @ boomkat

It's great to hear since Sandwell District dissolved and they moved their separate ways each of them haven't slowed down at all, still going strong as fuck.

Comment

• etgreg
                            • Jan 2011

resolution653,

I'm glad that you brought Terre Thaemlitz up for discussion. She is very relevant. This thread needs information like this, it only broadens our scope.

WOW!!! 2. Ugandan Methods & Prurient : Call 2

Well, you know I want argue your vote for the (Rrose - Drowned by Sight) track.

I'm grateful that you and others take the time to explain what you are wanting us to read and listen to. Please keep it up.

Soul Pill,

I can tell you are no beginner to Techno after seeing your YouTube links for applecrisp.

Derrick May (Rhythim Is Rhythim - Icon)

Now I know you have more to say/contribute.

Comment

• etgreg
                              • Jan 2011

Rødhåd Boiler Room Berlin DJ Set

You will need to right click, save as to download. Not sure when BRTV started this method.

He gets it; understands the meaning of atmosphere, track selection/mapping etc.

More on Rødhåd later as well.

Comment

• antabaka
                                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by etgreg View Post
                                Rødhåd Boiler Room Berlin DJ Set

You will need to right click, save as to download. Not sure when BRTV started this method.

He gets it; understands the meaning of atmosphere, track selection/mapping etc.

More on Rødhåd later as well.

oh fuck yeah, i love rodhad's dystopian takeover
                                i saw him play vancouver 3 days later
                                my friends and i were having a meeting about the techno label we're starting and i predrank too much at the meeting because i'm irresponsible

i ended up puking 7 times during rodhad's set, it was a phenomenal show of hedonism

EDIT:

BTW, i made a new track
                                Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
                                Last edited by antabaka; 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎