• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Acéphale
    • Apr 2010

█ Pío Baroja, Youth and Egolatry

«
    DOGMATOPHAGY

If I am questioned concerning my ideas on religion, I reply that I am an agnostic—I always like to be a little pedantic with philistines—now I shall add that, more than this, I am a dogmatophagist.

My first impulse in the presence of a dogma, whether it be political, moral, or religious, is to cast about for the best way to masticate, digest, and dispose of it.

The peril in an inordinate appetite for dogma lies in the probability of making too severe a drain upon the gastric juices, and so becoming dyspeptic for the rest of one's life.

In this respect, my inclination exceeds my prudence. I have an incurable dogmatophagy.

Ignoramus, Ignorabimus

Such are the words of the psychologist, DuBois-Reymond, in one of his well-known lectures. The agnostic attitude is the most seemly that it is possible to take. Nowadays, not only have all religious ideas been upset, but so too has everything which until now appeared most solid, most indivisible. Who has faith any longer in the atom? Who believes in the soul as a monad? Who believes in the objective validity of the senses?

The atom, unity of the spirit and of consciousness, the validity of perception, all these are under suspicion today. Ignoramus, ignorabimus.
    »
    ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• sinnedk
      Banned
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Johngd View Post
      Got this one as an early christmas gift yesterday. Havent really read any Hemingway so this will be fun

more good hemingway: sun also rises, for whom the bell tolls and a farewell to arms

currently reading steve jobs bio (got it as present for xmas) and plan to read keith richards bio after

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Why do people read bios? Seems a bit fetishistic.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chant
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Why do journalists interview designers ?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

An article is not a book. I can understand reading a 5-10 page article, but I really don't care about the level of detail a 500 page biography goes into.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• asdf123
              • Jan 2010

An article is not a book. I can understand reading a 5-10 page article, but I really don't care about the level of detail a 500 page biography goes into.
              Why not? If someone admires i.e XYZ artist (or whatever) why shouldn't he read his bio?
              i.e I loved reading Tarkovsky biography, it taught me alot about his films and his perceptions about life and reality.

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

I'm currently reading Limonov's biography. I don't particularly like his writing, his ideas or his personnality, but it's a fun read since the man is really quite a character (<- understatement)

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ Prime example. But one is free to choose how they waste their time.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

no it really is an interesting book, because there is a lot of context so it's a good overview of interesting parts of the world (moscow ny paris the balkans, serbia etc) just before and after the fall of the ussr. I'm less interested in the man than the time period and events, but you can't deny that he embodies something emblematic about the times and places he lived in, even though I think the guy is, has always been and always will be a provincial loser of mediocre talent and confused ideas

Comment

• Chant
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2008

If it's Carrère's novel, its not exactly a regular biography...

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

I know but still fits imo

Comment

• sinnedk
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2011

I read bios when i want to know more about a person. In this case i find steve jobs fascinating, he is a very successful passionate person and so is the person of the next bio i want to read (Keith Richards). Its about understand what makes the person. I like take something that was successful for the person i read about and maybe use it to be more successful myself. Moreover, I am not into fiction, i like reading about reality and nothing is more realistic than a historical event/person.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                            • Jan 2010

I don't read many bios but when they are written well, they can take one back to a place and/or time as well as any non-fiction book. They not only give one a better sense of the person but they can give the reader a better perspective on what the culture, location(s), politics were at the time.
                            THE HOUSE OF DIS
                            embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Vanna
                              • May 2008

Ive been itching to read something mindblowing. Anyone have any suggestions?
                              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• BSR
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
                                Ive been itching to read something mindblowing. Anyone have any suggestions?
                                steve jobs bio?
                                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎