Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VonStraap
    • Nov 2010

Heading to London for few days on Saturday next week. Any bar / restaurant / happening recommendations?

It's been almost three years(!) since my last visit, so all pieces of intel are appreciated :)

Comment

• Zenith
      • Jun 2009

Avoid all of the polpo familia (polpo/spuntino/mishkins/polpetto etc). Such overhyped overpriced nonsense. The quality of the ingredients absolutely suck and you are charged a heavy premium for it. Other than that, are you looking for any particular type of cuisine/bar?

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

You must go and eat at Pitt Cue in Soho.
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• VonStraap
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the tips - will stay clear of Popol.

Zenith, basically (regarding food) I'm open to anything, besides food chains & fine dining, rather putting my dimes to music and clothing. On the bar front I'm more a pub / gastropub / lounge person than a clubgoer.

mrbeuys, Pitt Cue is on the list!

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I will repeat the same refrain - Ottolenghi, Ottolenghi, Ottolenghi. Alone a reason to move to London.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Zenith
              • Jun 2009

By any chance have you been to Nopi Faust?

EDIT: Will add some places for Vonstrapp

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

No, really wanted to go last time I was in London, but my visit was so short and I was dead tired (though happy to spend an hour with PJ Harvey) and staying in the East End that I just gave up.

Went to Brawn with Mr.Beuys and that was really good (but heavy!), and now it's popping up all over the New York Times travel section, so I am happy he took me there before the upcoming gold rush.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Zenith
                  • Jun 2009

It's pretty great, food was exactly the standard you'd expect from the Ottolenghi crew. That being said spending an hour with PJH sounds like a good alternative...

Not been to Brawn, heard good things though. Which is kind of odd since the food at Terroirs is pretty crappy imo (great wine bar though).

Comment

• VonStraap
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks guys! Ottolenghi and Brawn looked good and are on the list now

By the way, any experiences of Base2stay hotel in Kensington? Staying there this time because of the location (part-time business trip).

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

any food recommendations in addition to the above? looking for something central and casual (child friendly)

Pitt Cue sounds worth trying!
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Zenith
                        • Jun 2009

Child friendly complicates things since most of the more casual places have tight/terrible seating, but Goodman springs to mind (and it's near Layers so bonus), perhaps the riding house cafe. Many great dim sum places in chinatown too which will probably be more than happy to accommodate you such as plum valley or princess garden if you venture towards mayfair.

EDIT: Maybe Inamo due to the interactive tables? I think the food is pretty bad there, but it has that appeal. Chains like girraffe/wagamama also...
                        Last edited by Zenith; 05-16-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

I was just about to ask how Goodman is. apparently their burger is top notch?

I'll have a look at the others, thanks
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Zenith
                            • Jun 2009

They use very high quality meat, the burger itself is a bit basic compared to the alternatives you can get at Hawksmoor and the like, but they do it well.

Another one popped into my head, Dishoom? I remember seeing highchairs last time I was there.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

Hawksmoor is meant to make the best burgers, although I would never go there for a burger... too many good things on the menu. Hix is nice for surf 'n turf and Rivington Bar and Grill make a pretty decent burger too.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• eleven crows
                                • Mar 2011

Any tips for flying to the UK from Asia? I'll be stopping over in Japan on my way and haven't booked my ticket out yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎