Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mail-Moth
    • Mar 2009

Claude Louis-Combet. The man almost became a priest, lost faith, and seems to have some problems with maternal figures. At the end what you get is, amongst other things :

A man surprising a sexual intercourse between a woman and a dog in a cabin lost in the depths of the woods.
    Female mystics emptying themselves for God in various and quite entertaining ways. And yes, some of them do eat their poop.
    A mother planning to take her little boy back inside her by suckling him, dissolving his flesh and everything and swallowing the whole. She also uses her vagina in the process but when you begin to know your Claude Louis-Combet, that's somewhat expected.

The man is obsessive, absolutely indifferent to any aspects of the contemporary world (or of the outside world in general), his characters are existing only to sink deeper and deeper in the indifferenciation of pure substance and this is the only sort of story he's interested in telling.
    And thus, as any extreme writer, he's writing greatly. It is fascinating to read him turning around the flesh in all its crudity, dreaming about it, in a precise, quite distant and yet loving manner. The man adores his style as much as he adores his obsessions.

French-reading fellows, you should try Blesse, ronce noire - about Georg Trakl and his sister - , or Tsé-Tsé - the second part is the best thing I've read from him thus far, and a wonderful piece of prose.
    Last edited by Mail-Moth; 09-14-2010, 12:47 PM.
    I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
    I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• BSR
      • Aug 2008

Combet had Maldiney as a teacher... see where phenomenology leads.
      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

I'm afraid it began a little earlier in his case :)

And think he's been in charge of a formation center for teachers during about 25 years. I'm quite impatient to meet him.
        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• tgadd
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by galia View Post
          oh no, I believe in most cases the complicated expression is necessary to convey the complexity of the thought. if you say it in a simpler way, you almost always end up watering it down or deforming it.
          There are at least two kinds of complexity represented in contemporary philosophy, though - the kind of complexity in Wittgenstein, Heidegger, or Dummett is probably not desirable and not reflective of complex thought as opposed to poor writing, whereas the complexity in Frege, Chalmers, or Unger would be due to the importance of extremely fine grained distinctions in their thought &etc.

I don't want to be simplistic and block down Continental vs Analytic, but van Fraassen has some good thoughts on this in some recent work in which that way of thinking is put forward, and that wouldn't be entirely an unreasonable first approximation to make.

Comment

• BSR
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tgadd View Post
            There are at least two kinds of complexity represented in contemporary philosophy, though - the kind of complexity in Wittgenstein, Heidegger, or Dummett is probably not desirable and not reflective of complex thought as opposed to poor writing, whereas the complexity in Frege, Chalmers, or Unger would be due to the importance of extremely fine grained distinctions in their thought &etc.

I don't want to be simplistic and block down Continental vs Analytic, but van Fraassen has some good thoughts on this in some recent work in which that way of thinking is put forward, and that wouldn't be entirely an unreasonable first approximation to make.
            i've never seen such a classification, heidegger with w and dummett is a bit hard for the last two, no?
            pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
            Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• mesko
              • Nov 2009

oh that's not why I don't like it. I just think it isn't very real, I don't feel it tells me anything of real value about what I care about in life, usually. It's interesting to me on the same level as crosswords or riddles are, just in a more complicated version, and reading abstract intellectual shit will definately make you smarter. I'm just more interested in the idiosyncratic and the bizarre (probably because I'm intellectually lazy)
              Well, in Wittgenstein you have both!

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mesko View Post
                Well, in Wittgenstein you have both!
                I agree, Wittgenstein is probably the only philosopher I actually enjoy (although I don't pretend like I understand all the subtleties, I read too fast for philosophy anyway)

Comment

• tgadd
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                  i've never seen such a classification, heidegger with w and dummett is a bit hard for the last two, no?
                  Sorry, I was writing as confusedly as I said people should not. In the first paragraph I was trying to be fair, trying to lambast philosophers on all sides of the analytic/continental divide whose writing is, in comparison with their peers, opaque. Wittgenstein and Dummett are certainly opaque, compared to their peers, as is Heidegger compared to just about anything.

Comment

• mesko
                    • Nov 2009

I agree, Wittgenstein is probably the only philosopher I actually enjoy (although I don't pretend like I understand all the subtleties, I read too fast for philosophy anyway)
                    Yes, my ex fellow classmate (architecture) once made a project based on Wittgenstein. It resulted in hutong skyscrapers.

Comment

• galia
                      • Jun 2009

Can someone recommend a good book on actionism in either French or English (preferably illustrated)? my knowledge of the movement is very superficial and random, I need to brush up on that

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

Helmut Newton's autobiography...i am only 20 pages in and I already like how he describes everything in his childhood, his mother, all with sexual overtones. Basically was inspired to check this out reminiscing on endersgame's reading of it and how he mentioned dude likes to fuck.
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Reading The Hobbit with my daughter. She's not even seven yet and she loves it. It's awesome.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
                            • Aug 2008

reading Faust (finally) at the moment
                            got some high expectations of this

Comment

• klangspiel
                              • Apr 2007

marlowe or goethe?
                              if the latter, i hope you're reading it in the original language.

Comment

• ████████
                                • Aug 2010

roger caillois – l'écriture des pierres: stumbled on this particular work by caillois some years ago, in turn through a german essay by anselm haverkamp on walter benjamin's critique of baroque concepts of allegory and melancholy, where it was referred to as some kind of 'final' allegorical work in which allegory refuses to reestablish itself as a strategy of heroic subjectivation. the title of the english translation is 'the writing of stones', i think, and apparently comes with a very beautiful dust jacket.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎