Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kowei
    • Jul 2010

I meant his idea of fashion in general and especially his possible approach to womenswear. Inverted commas were there because I almost directly quoted him from a French interview ; and thanks god we can't summarize his Dior work as a whole with "playing with genders" and "he took stuff from scenes that influenced him".

Comment

• alex.a
      • Aug 2008

I think some people will be sad about this one

http://news.style.com/view/2293776/

Those who were eagerly hoping to see the creative work of YSL’s newly appointed creative director Hedi Slimane starting from June will be heading for a disappointment: it seems, in fact, that the designer who has taken the helm of the French maison after Stefano Pilati has decided that both the Yves Saint Laurent women’s resort 2013 line and the Spring-Summer menswear collection will not be shown to the press.

Instead, the two collections will only go on show at the end of June/beginning of July to a small number of international buyers and will hit the boutiques enshrouded in a veil of mystery. Opting for this exclusive approach was Slimane himself.

Slimane, former director of YSL Rive Gauche Homme and of Dior Homme, has decided to officially debut as YSL’s creative director with the women’s S/S 2013 collection going on show next October in Paris.

We can only wait….

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Not a good idea to turn the fashion press against you, but whatever.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

Isn't that what many 'SZ' brands do? I.e. showroom only, with no runway presentation.
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• jogu
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
            Isn't that what many 'SZ' brands do? I.e. showroom only, with no runway presentation.
            kinda sorta but thats on a diff scale . hedi knows theres gonna be a shitload of hype over this and i hate that theres no show either but he probably also took that into consideration and havin no show is gonna add even more fuel to our burning curiosity . might be good for sales ? only big prob i can think of is that w/ all that fuckin hype the collection needs to be GREAT

Comment

• Czx
              • Feb 2011

^Agreed with Jogu. I take this lack of show as pure marketing. With all the hype around - this will build even more. After all mystery is one of the most hype-building factors, it's hard to deny. That is a good question though, will the collection stand up to the hype built around it? Quite a risky thing to do, but I guess they do have the confidence for it.

Oh, and apart from mystery this adds even more sense of exclusivity to it, which is definitely good given the targeted market of high fashion.
              néant
              Last.FM paranoia
              Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
              0 > ∞

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Of course that assumes that the target market in question will be the one to pay retail for YSL under Hedi.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Crowzer
                  • Feb 2011

Pure marketing indeed. How to make "accessible" to "inaccessible".

Comment

• Pumpfish
                    • Sep 2010

How about the likely fact that they didn't have enough time to get their shit together for mens week?

Once Hedi got there and filled the atelier fridge with baby food, and put my band is cooler than your band on the stereo, he discovered all that Stefano left in the studio was a pair of tit-high, felt loon-pants.
                    spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

You know, that is a plausible theory. However, it is a not-so-well-kept secret that most of collections gets done in the weeks preceding the show, so he'd definitely had enough time to do it, if he really wanted to.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Czx
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Of course that assumes that the target market in question will be the one to pay retail for YSL under Hedi.
                        Depends on how brave will Hedi be with his creations. But, pardon me if I'm wrong, I imagine a good portion of the targeted market won't care about the name of the designer nor the designs themselves.
                        néant
                        Last.FM paranoia
                        0 > ∞

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yes, and that's my point. In this case it seems that no marketing = no sales.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Czx
                            • Feb 2011

I agree but that's one of two ways I think it may go. Either the "hype" and "exclusivity" of this collection will reap heavily (what it didn't sow) or due to trying to go this way (as I see this approach as hype building marketing, I don't think it's a case of lack of time, highly impropable in case of such big names) the collection will result in sales failure. As opposed to what my previous posts may have suggested I'm only slightly, if even, leaning in favor of the first option. Your prognosis might aswell be right. Anyway - it is a big risk for them to take. But I guess even if the sales numbers won't be great it won't really hurt they budget but when the collection is released and all that, and it will be good, it may gather much media noise that even if will be too late to help this collection may be a great way to gather audience around YSL with Hedi. Mystery really is selling currently, due to the feeling of exclusivity that goes along with it.

After rereading the last two paragraphs that theory stinks with conspiracy hahah, don't take it too seriously.
                            néant
                            Last.FM paranoia
                            0 > ∞

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Agree, it could go either way.

To clarify my point - it's the fashion die-hards that will wait for YSL by Hedi to hit the stores. Others simply won't have the attention span. Unless they are preparing a marketing blitz to with the store delivery. That would be clever.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Czx
                                • Feb 2011

Agreed. That's the way I imagine it to happen if they'll want to cash on the casual audience. After all such tactics give them the right to use all the "highly anticipated" and what-not in their campaigns ;)
                                néant
                                Last.FM paranoia
                                0 > ∞

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡