X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genevieveryoko
    • Sep 2009

i thought the interview she did with interview magazine a few years ago was really good, but it was also the first interview with her i'd ever read. now reading this new interview it sounds like she's giving the exact same responses, even though the questions are different. it seems there's only so much she's willing to say.
    http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

This is literally the first time I hear someone say they read a good interview in Interview.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

well, there are 'structured interviews' and 'unstructured ones', and they produce different material - one isn't better than the other. depends on purpose.

anyway, apologies if this has been posted earlier:

VIDEO
        Last edited by Shucks; 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          I don't think it's possible to do a good interview with Rei because of the language barrier
          and her reluctance to discuss her work in detail. If The New Yorker couldn't do it, no one can.
          Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
          . . . now reading this new interview it sounds like she's giving the exact same responses, even though the questions are different. it seems there's only so much she's willing to say.

Well, at least she is a woman of her word:

–Rei Kawakubo

Her raison d'être, spelled out for us in black & white. Literally.
          You can't help but respect that.

Ai Weiwei + Rei Kawakubo.. Or, as it begs: Rei-n-Ai.

side note: The documentary AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY, on the artist's recent imprisonment
          by the Chinese govt., debuted at SunDance last weekend. (click title for preview)
          sain't

Comment

• genevieveryoko
            • Sep 2009

^not to imply that there's anything wrong with her being a woman of few words.

i was surprised she even agreed to do this new interview.
            http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rilu
              the problem with most interviews i see nowadays is that they are obviously not a conversation but questions sent per email and answers given to those questions. and that's not an interview, but a questioner. an interview requires a dialogue where new questions sometimes pop up on the fly, in view of the previously given answers. sure you can have a prepared set of questions, the general topic for the interview, but you need to be flexible to play with it and use it really just as a sketch. i've never studied media, and Faust will for sure be able to illuminate us more on this topic, but that's how I imagine an interview to be like, and that's what I see missing in most "interviews" i see online nowadays.
              Correct. I won't do an email interview unless someone twists my hand - it's just boring. And you can't recreate the time and place and the mood of the interviewee. And I love it that some designers won't do an email interview - it's a sign that they respect themselves. I mean, if you care about someone else's work, you don't fire off a few questions by email. I can understand if it's logistically hard, like going from NYC to Japan, but it's still better to do a phone interview.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Some vintage footage here, although Japanese and French speaker swill find the video more rewarding.

The Challenge of Rei Kawakubo from david cheung® on Vimeo.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

dude i just posted that about 20 cm above your post.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Sorry, missed it. It's better embedded :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• commacomma
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2012

wow, great video!!!

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

CDG Shirt x Star Wars??

source: http://number3store.blogspot.com/

More: http://www.therisinghollywood.com/20...ith-star-wars/
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yep, coming to the shop near you next fall. They hold copyrights to some Star Wars imagery, so they decided what the fuck, let's do it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Yep, coming to the shop near you next fall. They hold copyrights to some Star Wars imagery, so they decided what the fuck, let's do it.
                            Huh. Not really a star wars fan.
                            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                              • Oct 2010

So,

Someone sent this to me: http://junyawatanabe.tumblr.com/.

I apologize if I'm being presumptuous and/or naïve but would Junya Watanabe really have a tumblr? If so, then you might understand, given how much he is a personal hero, why I would be psyched.

In any case, perhaps the "kids" could explain.

MBD
                              "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                              It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                              My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• michael_kard
                                • Oct 2010

By the looks of it it's just a page dedicated to his work. Just like the HL ones (1, 2)
                                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎