Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Yea a few glitches still, like new posts takes you to search, but i guess those will be ironed out in time
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Strange, everything works for me.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Strange, everything works for me.
        seems to be working better and Faster now.....
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• coup de grace
          x
          • Sep 2006

A slightly more detailed version of what happened and we're going to do moving forward --

(tl;dr Hosting a large forum is hard.)

We've been running the same version of vBulletin (VB3, save for a handful of security patches and performance optimizations) for a while now. Our hosting provider recently upgraded the version of PHP on our server which caused an incompatibility between vBulletin and the database connection layer. Rather than trying to patch vBulletin or downgrade PHP, I made the (hasty) decision to upgrade vBulletin to the most recent version, 5. That turned out to be a huge mistake, since VB5 has a number of performance and customization problems. We limped along for a few days while I talked to a couple of contractors about trying to get things stable on VB5, but the consensus was that we needed to downgrade to VB4.

So, we had to revert all the way back to VB3 (and a snapshot of the database that was taken immediately prior to the upgrade, which is why we lost the interim posts, mea culpa), patch the site to deal with the database connectivity issues, and downgrade PHP, all of which was not trivial for reasons that are not very interesting. In any case, we're now back where we started.

Moving forward, we'll upgrade to VB4 which has a bunch of performance improvements and useful features, but we'll do it in a sane way that doesn't take down the board for a week. In the mean time, if you run into any issues you can DM me or post here.

@dji: Those memory errors should have stopped as of yesterday afternoon EST.

@zamb: There were some residual issues with search that should be resolved as of yesterday afternoon.

Comment

• mrbeuys
            • May 2008

Thanks a lot, cdg, for the no doubt infuriatingly hard work on this. Been there, done that and it wasn't pretty either.
            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
              • Nov 2007

Yes, absolutely- many many thanks cdg for getting the forum back up, greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Mezeinee
                • Apr 2015

Have threads of the last few weeks been deleted somehow?
                I was going to look into a thread I started (about how I got kicked out of Darklands) and it doesn't exist anymore.
                Can anyone tell me what's happened?
                https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• ian+
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Mezeinee View Post
                  Have threads of the last few weeks been deleted somehow?
                  I was going to look into a thread I started (about how I got kicked out of Darklands) and it doesn't exist anymore.
                  Can anyone tell me what's happened?
                  Originally posted by coup de grace View Post
                  ...So, we had to revert all the way back to VB3 (and a snapshot of the database that was taken immediately prior to the upgrade, which is why we lost the interim posts, mea culpa)...
                  Feel free to post your experience again, preferably in the Retailers thread.
                  ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

SZ will be down for maintenance tonight. Tomorrow we are coming with a brand new shining website for both the forum and the magazine. Hold tight!
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Hi everyone. If you have trouble logging in to the upgraded forum, please restart your browser.
                      Also, file your feedback here while we are in the growing pains mode.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eloquent
                        • Sep 2016

Is the search working? It doesn't seem to be working for me.

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                          • Jan 2011

there’s a quick navigation width error here

and here I would suggest a touch of "letter-spacing: 0.05em;"

the rest looks VERY fine so far! :) did you guys think of monochromizing the vBulletin icons?

Comment

• Crowzer
                            • Feb 2011

This is really nice !

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by radio-aktivität View Post
                              https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhn2tidccspbhds/sz1.png?dl=0
                              there’s a quick navigation width error here

and here I would suggest a touch of "letter-spacing: 0.05em;"

the rest looks VERY fine so far! :) did you guys think of monochromizing the vBulletin icons?
                              That would be really nice. Not sure if we can.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                                • Sep 2012

Love the new look for everything! Very refreshing for sure
                                Originally posted by Faust
                                HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎