• Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: style inspirationz.

[quote user="laika"]

[86]

Maybe people could explain what kinds of images they think are appropriate? Because i'm still confused about the problem here....

[/quote]

Well, it started with me having trouble connecting with what the schindler's list picture of jewish prisoners and their nazi guard have to do with random's sartorial choices. Let's face it - it's pretty hard to make out the connection, no? Once he explained that the content does not matter, and that he is inspired by the mood and the colors, it got easier. But i still don't see the connection. Maybe i am just not poetic enough for you [66]. I guess it would help if people wrote how these certain images inspire their style of dress.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Purity
      • Apr 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"]Is that literal enough? The unshaved face, constant smoking, tuxedo worn without a care, black and white.[/quote]

I also like the fact that he's standing next to a beautiful woman seemingly more interested in his cigarette than her.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Well, it started with me having trouble connecting with what the schindler's list picture of jewish prisoners and their nazi guard have to do with random's sartorial choices. Let's face it - it's pretty hard to make out the connection, no? Once he explained that the content does not matter, and that he is inspired by the mood and the colors, it got easier. But i still don't see the connection. Maybe i am just not poetic enough for you [66]. I guess it would help if people wrote how these certain images inspire their style of dress.

[/quote]

ah, I see, i had missed that discussion. I thought mesh was talking about the thread in general. Most of the other pictures seem like very plausible style inspirations to me, although I agree that explanations can be helpful when the references are more opaque....

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Also, I am one of those people who has trouble dragging content and form too far apart. I know others are different.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
            • Mar 2008

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="mesh"]

[quote user="kira"]I dont think it is that literal. But what you look at and what you are drawn to through your senses, affects your being. I think some may be aware of that more consciously and thus the images presented, others are affected more subconsciously. Everything that we sense affects us in some way, regardless of your awareness. Images, sound, touch, taste...promote a certain feeling, attraction, mood, etc. that stays with us and eventually becomes a part of our expression, becomes a part of our being.
            [/quote]

I think the reason I don't see it here is that all these images are what people would like to believe is their inspiration but as compared to their day to day outfits it just doesn't carry over to the colors and lines of say jeans/t shirt and sneaks like cas wears for example. If you broaden it to non-literal things than anything can be passed off as inspiration really.

[/quote]

Yes, this is something I've been thinking about as well. I'd like to see a "Literal Inspiration" thread, or a more detailed examination of personal style. Are there certain details you tend to lean towards? Certain materials? Certain mannerisms (i.e. how or what a person would layer and when). Or even as you said: photos or references that you pull from very specifically, for instance "Here's a picture of <blank>, as a result of this I did <blank> bought <blank> or wore <blank> a certain way.

[/quote]

Even though I feel that inspiration is still not overall that literal, it would be nice to see it when it is direct. So I think this would be interesting.

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Also, I am one of those people who has trouble dragging content and form too far apart. I know others are different.
              [/quote]

Faust, my original comment was absolutely not directed at you. I think in that particular instance, content completely overwhelms the form, so separating them seems almost beside the point. I also have a hard time understanding how one could find inspiration in an image of that event, although random's explanation did help a bit.[51]

On the other hand, I do see how one can find inspiration in the facade of a building, or in the silhouette of a sculpture, or in the posture of someone sitting on the beach. I can see how these things can be translated into style, even if not always in the strictly sartorial sense.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I know, Laika [51]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Classique
                  • Apr 2008

"What Are You Wearing Today"

Stylezeitgeist philosophy on personal style.

[Insert member name here.]

Atelier, New York.

Fashion campaigns & the artists who dress, real life stories via: Threading, deconstruction, sculpture, ...

Absurd concepts, I know. [73]

Comment

• justine
                    • Jan 2007

Asceticism

(was also the topic of the earlier Simone Weil picture)

Comment

• matthewhk
                      • Jan 2007

Beckett is stylish as hell...what an intense face/gaze.

Comment

• Staton Viguier
                        • Jan 2008

james woods in videodrome

Comment

• mesh
                          • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

[86]

Maybe people could explain what kinds of images they think are appropriate? Because i'm still confused about the problem here....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well said Faust, also I think it helps if people kept up with the entire thread.

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

James Dean.

Steve McQueen.

Those dudes were steezy before steezy was even a word.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                              • Nov 2007

[quote user="Staton Viguier"]james woods in videodrome[/quote]

love that gun he had

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                                • Aug 2007

im a sucker for this sortah vest under an over-sized/ unbuttoned ann shirt look these days..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎