Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HWith
    • May 2007

Where did you find that pic? I know this guy in real life and he's probably one of the biggest douchebags I've met. His sister is even worse.

Originally posted by profondo nero View Post

RICARDO MONTALBAN USUALLY WHAT I'M DRESSED EEN

Comment

• ilurkaround
      • Jan 2012

^it was posted on RichKidsOfInstagram

Comment

• messenoire
        • Nov 2009

the sheer amount of gear that idiot has on is staggering. where could he possibly be going looking like the younger brother from a christmas story? this is one instance where i hope he shoots his eye out.

Comment

• morsto
          • Nov 2008

I saw this guy in the nightlife in a similar get up last weekend, except he also had around 5 huge gold rings on.
          Had I had unlimited funds when I was a teenager it's hard to guarantee I wouldn't have looked similarly ridiculous though.
          I do not recognise the vessel,
          but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• stagename
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
            When it starts becoming about the show, when that discussion outweighs the clothes – for any designer – it's ultimately not a success. The clothing must speak the loudest, not the concept.

A collection should never have to beg for attention.
            I would disagree with this. I guess it depends what you think the aim of the show should be. I don't see fashion shows anymore as being this historically constructed event designed to showcase clothes in the most legitimate way.

With the rise of online fashion, both from a marketer/producer side and from a consumer one (e.g., bloggers), fashion shows have become much more accessible to a wider public (and I'm not the only one, see for example Bhardwaj and Fairhust 2010 on the role of the demystification of the fashion process as a backdrop for the emergence of fast fashion).

This changed the nature of the audience of fashion shows, and consequently, what fashion shows can be about. I think Rick demonstrates with his two last shows that he understands this new dynamic, and that his shows are exactly this: shows. They are shows for the Fashion 2.0 age. Shows that will get tweeted, instagrammed, blogged about, shared on facebook and forums and so on, and by doing such shows, he gets a great deal of publicity.

Comment

• julian_doe
              • Mar 2013

stagename, but do these changes mean that the show should be more significant than the clothing itself? I think not.

I think that maintaining the artistry of fashion in the design of the clothes, the craft of structure, construction, and styling, is far more important.

Comment

• stagename
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by julian_doe View Post
                stagename, but do these changes mean that the show should be more significant than the clothing itself? I think not.

I think that maintaining the artistry of fashion in the design of the clothes, the craft of structure, construction, and styling, is far more important.
                The picture posted by profondo nero makes it obvious that every consumer thinks like you. Just teasing ;)

I don't think it's anybody's role but the brands to identify what their shows should be about. Everything else is an exercise in symbolic violence aimed at maintaining the existing order, especially among consumers.

I am not saying one is better than the other. The game is changing. Players are adapting. Whether you want to assert that one is better than the other will just be efforts for (de)legitimizing certain practices to preserve or disrupt existing boundaries (e.g., You know about fashion and I don't) as well as the established structure and hierarchy of the field (e.g., You know about fashion and I don't, so you are better position to comment on fashion shows and what they should be).

I am completely unaware of the marketing strategy of the brand. If it is to widen its customer base and attract customers who are now buying other luxury brands but for whom "the design of the clothes, the craft of structure, construction, and styling" comes after the, let's say, cultural relevance of the brand, then what Rick is doing makes perfect sense.

Comment

• jamokes
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by stagename View Post
                  I would disagree with this. I guess it depends what you think the aim of the show should be. I don't see fashion shows anymore as being this historically constructed event designed to showcase clothes in the most legitimate way.

With the rise of online fashion, both from a marketer/producer side and from a consumer one (e.g., bloggers), fashion shows have become much more accessible to a wider public (and I'm not the only one, see for example Bhardwaj and Fairhust 2010 on the role of the demystification of the fashion process as a backdrop for the emergence of fast fashion).

This changed the nature of the audience of fashion shows, and consequently, what fashion shows can be about. I think Rick demonstrates with his two last shows that he understands this new dynamic, and that his shows are exactly this: shows. They are shows for the Fashion 2.0 age. Shows that will get tweeted, instagrammed, blogged about, shared on facebook and forums and so on, and by doing such shows, he gets a great deal of publicity.
                  if the clothing itself was more than a whisper in this case, then i may be inclined to agree with you, but the clothing is not only overpowered by the models here; it has little luster of its own

the choice of models took the show from inoffensively disappointing to outrageous (and still disappointing for many)

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by HWith View Post
                    I know this guy in real life and he's probably one of the biggest douchebags I've met. His sister is even worse.
                    oh the irony...

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by stagename View Post
                      The picture posted by profondo nero makes it obvious that every consumer thinks like you. Just teasing ;)

I don't think it's anybody's role but the brands to identify what their shows should be about. Everything else is an exercise in symbolic violence aimed at maintaining the existing order, especially among consumers.

I am not saying one is better than the other. The game is changing. Players are adapting. Whether you want to assert that one is better than the other will just be efforts for (de)legitimizing certain practices to preserve or disrupt existing boundaries (e.g., You know about fashion and I don't) as well as the established structure and hierarchy of the field (e.g., You know about fashion and I don't, so you are better position to comment on fashion shows and what they should be).
                      i like your brain.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by jamokes View Post
                        i've posted something similar elsewhere and don't feel like making a clever paraphrase, so i apologize if this post sounds familiar to anyone

my biggest concern here is that the main thing which is "different" and most notable in general about this season is the models

at first, i was bothered because i found their figures hard to identify with as a consumer, but i actually just realized what bothers me most about this: it's not just a distraction, it's almost a smoke screen
                        the clothes themselves weren't terribly interesting or fresh in comparison to past seasons; i'm bothered because this show brought almost nothing new to the table besides chunky, "ethnic" models

i doubt rick had such intentions, but essentially, it feels like a crutch to me rather than just a way to spice up the show and be inclusive
                        ...."chunky, "ethnic" models"..."? Seriously?

A guy walks into a forum, writes 4 posts and drops words like "chunky" and "ethnic". I wonder how his future shapes?
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• exterminatingphantom
                          • Sep 2012

I don't really have an opinion on this, but reading recent interviews with Rick, It doesn't seem like his focus is on breaking new ground or doing anything innovative with clothing. He has even stated he's quite happy doing the same thing over and over and doesn't really like having to come up with new things every season. At this point, he's already communicated what he wants with everything that's been released. I believe some of the interviews from around a year or two ago from LVR or Antonioli said he wants to keep doing the same thing over and over and that his only interest is to slowly introduce skirts for men so that it one day becomes a norm.

Comment

• jamokes
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                            ...."chunky, "ethnic" models"..."? Seriously?

A guy walks into a forum, writes 4 posts and drops words like "chunky" and "ethnic". I wonder how his future shapes?
                            the models are chunky without a doubt
                            i used the word "ethnic" with flippancy which is why i put it in quotes to begin with, and i used it because i know it's what MSM would love to refer to them as

would you like to explain what exactly your problem with my use of these words is, or would you rather continue to just give the impression that you're mocking me for it? i'd be happy to engage in actual discourse, but i'm going to need more than vague taunts to do that

why don't i see you harping on the senior member for calling them "large" and "ethnic"?

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

I kinda love how the last 2 pages have become a total food fight.
                              Same in the Rick thread & Seasonal Collections thread.

So much infighting going on.. Ah Rick, now THAT'S power!
                              sain't

Comment

• t-bone
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by jamokes View Post
                                the models are chunky without a doubt
                                i used the word "ethnic" with flippancy which is why i put it in quotes to begin with, and i used it because i know it's what MSM would love to refer to them as
                                hahahahhahahahahahahhhahahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎