Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snafu
    • Apr 2008

No the demand has gone higher because of Mike ...
    edit : & tamagocat

Comment

• Twiterski
      • Aug 2014

Anyone tried to dye a Paul Harnden Jacket?

Apologies for taking this post from the small questions thread here to Paul's, but I'm in dire need of some direction cause I wanted to get this done this weekend and have been enjoying all the recent activity on this thread and want to get my question in front of some eyes...

I have 6 lined PH Jackets (long blazers, pocket blazers, classic blazers) but NONE of them are black. I started collecting Harnden because I saw how amazing the black ones look but I have yet to find one (to fit a 50-52) in XL or XXL anywhere and I've been looking for over a year. So I'm finally at the point where I am going to try and dye one. I have a couple of Paul's scratchy "tweed" fabrics, a couple in his light SS 50% Wool / 50% Linen fabrics (my favorite) and a couple more that are 100% heavy wool. Has anyone ever tried to dye any of Paul's fabrics and if so, how did it go?

UPDATE: (literal within the past half hour freak luck) I just copped a BLACK 5 button jacket that the seller called a "winter blazer' along with a 2015 "cement" chamois jerkin. I don't think I'll ever have the courage to dye the jerkin, so let's stick to the lighter wool and linen fabrics. I have a medium brown long blazer in a light fabric with pretty & subtle baby blue flecked throughout but I feel like a hobo in it. There's something about the brown that turns me off. So I'd like to dye it black. Has anyone here ever dyed a 50% linen 50% wool Harnden fabric? It's the mixture that concerns me and how the dye I have that's made for those fabrics will affect the white cotton lining. I think I might be getting in over my head. Let me know...

Comment

• MikeN
        • Nov 2007

I've never seen a PH jacket successfully dyed any color. Occasionally DIY dye jobs have appeared on eBay and they almost always look like. Funny you don't like the non-black ones... I am really only ever looking for non-black ones.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Twiterski View Post
          Apologies for taking this post from the small questions thread here to Paul's, but I'm in dire need of some direction cause I wanted to get this done this weekend and have been enjoying all the recent activity on this thread and want to get my question in front of some eyes...

I have 6 lined PH Jackets (long blazers, pocket blazers, classic blazers) but NONE of them are black. I started collecting Harnden because I saw how amazing the black ones look but I have yet to find one (to fit a 50-52) in XL or XXL anywhere and I've been looking for over a year. So I'm finally at the point where I am going to try and dye one. I have a couple of Paul's scratchy "tweed" fabrics, a couple in his light SS 50% Wool / 50% Linen fabrics (my favorite) and a couple more that are 100% heavy wool. Has anyone ever tried to dye any of Paul's fabrics and if so, how did it go?

UPDATE: (literal within the past half hour freak luck) I just copped a BLACK 5 button jacket that the seller called a "winter blazer' along with a 2015 "cement" chamois jerkin. I don't think I'll ever have the courage to dye the jerkin, so let's stick to the lighter wool and linen fabrics. I have a medium brown long blazer in a light fabric with pretty & subtle baby blue flecked throughout but I feel like a hobo in it. There's something about the brown that turns me off. So I'd like to dye it black. Has anyone here ever dyed a 50% linen 50% wool Harnden fabric? It's the mixture that concerns me and how the dye I have that's made for those fabrics will affect the white cotton lining. I think I might be getting in over my head. Let me know...
          I'd throw it to a profession dyer if anything.

Comment

• Anomie
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            The fabrics I've seen so far for FW15 look identical to what he's already been using. Wouldn't be surprised if they were from the same stock he already has.
            It is impossible to see the fabric with L'eclaireur's lighting. The green in the new black fabric was extremely vibrant when I looked at it back home next to other PH black jackets.

Also the Jacket I purchased was not €2500. It was much less, especially after removing VAT. I not going to defend the prices but it is worth noting.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
              It is impossible to see the fabric with L'eclaireur's lighting. The green in the new black fabric was extremely vibrant when I looked at it back home next to other PH black jackets.

Also the Jacket I purchased was not €2500. It was much less, especially after removing VAT. I not going to defend the prices but it is worth noting.
              I said 2100. Last season's are 1600. Not sure where the 2500 came from.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                yeah but it wasn't faust's point. the issue he raised is not only that PH prices have gone up, it's more that they could go up because the demand has become higher, that the demand has become higher because of SZ, and that PH never acknowledged this for a fact.

how would you suggest he 'acknowledge' this? genuinely curious.

Comment

• SuE
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                  SZ Mag Interview!

Or collaboration for the store
                  One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                    i don't know... paging Faust on this!
                    pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Actually, I did not say that he somehow acknowledge SZ's contribution. I only said that he's capitalized on the exposure. Actually, from what I hear, it's not even him, but his money-crazed newish wife. He seems to be content to pound beers in Brighton.

I suppose some acknowledgement would be nice. Harnden, Poell and Altieri are three designers where I think SZ can take credit for playing a significant part of their success. (I would not say this about Rick or Ann thought that case can most probably be made as well). And yet, neither of the three has acknowledged SZ's existence. They are like the holy trinity of assholes.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
                        • Apr 2008

nothing wrong with pounding beers in brighton...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes

They're all kinda seriosuly eccentric in their own way. All super, super difficult to work with, way I hear it. Well, mainly Altieri and Poell, but I imagine Paul too. I could see them viewing engagement with SZ as part of "the game" of fashion, and so avoiding it--and the irony is, the more SZ is known, the more this would seem the case. Poell especially, he refuses even to be photographed, come on--you wonder if he's even in charge of all these rainbow custom orders any more. Probably retired to some remote part of Sicily with Margiela and Elvis.
                          Definitely not criticizing the beers!

Sure, difficult to work with, I can be, too. But there is such thing as basic human decency, etc. Too much to ask?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
                            • Apr 2008

To be fair to them none of them asked to be on here... or instagram, Facebook, tumblr etc

I know they put work out their but its their prerogative to decide who to communicate with. They have all done things with press/magazines etc in the past.

also in my view none seem to be very finically driven in their own Hermit shells.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

That is true. Still, they have been able to thrive because of SZ.
                              Also, recent consumerist rampage notwithstanding, I'd like to think SZ is one place where their ardent fans congregate. SZ is not Instagram.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

That wasn't really my point :-) Anyway, I don't really want to pursue this - beginning to sound like a spurned fan.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎