X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swych
    • May 2008

These are the text books used for my modern architecture history class:

the conrad's is great. covers manifestoes from art nouveau-> futurism-> le corbusier etc.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Alyce, believe it or not, I am not very well versed in architecture. I only know some philosophical underpinnings along the lines of what's in the second book that swych has posted. That's a useful book, because the defining moment in modern architecture was surrounded by a lot of manifestos from the likes of messianic maniacs like Le Corbusier (who wrote more than he built, lol), and Adolf Loos (ditto). Once you read them, you will understand how a lot of modern architecture works, and the origins of the modern aesthetic. But I am sure someone like wire.artist can help you more.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by swych View Post
        wire.artist i wasn't referring to large scale/ small scale buildings in modernism, but rather to the scale of the decisions. As you mentioned Corbu's villas, I'll use one as an example. Villa Savoye was very much concerned with the architectural promenadel, the flow of space from room to room. that is the scale i'm talking about- scuplting at the scale of the room. Even Mies' Barcelona Pavilion is the same- setting up these spaces that are then to be occupied.

One of the lessons in modernism was the crafting of volume, and i do love the work of both masters i've mentioned above. For me, accenting these volumes is the next step. An example of this is Luis Barragan's use of colours to differentiate spaces. More contemporary examples would be Steven Holl or Zumthor who bring in materiality to further enhance a space.

For me, the interest in the stairwell picture not only lies in the rupture at hte bottom and the top. those are the 'bigger' moves that i was talking about that was brought with modernism. its the accents created by teh trellis above that brings it the slits of light and shadow COMBINED with the blurry of exterior/ interior that makes me want to experience that space. Picture one shows the elevation of that stairwell. if you look at the 2nd floor, you'll notice the shadows of the trellis are more pronounced and in focus, resulting in a more intensely manipulated field of light.

now look back at the 5th photo of the rupture and notice the floor there. this shadow and light here is more shaped by the larger frames of the window. if you shift back to the 1st photo, you'll find that if you were to ascend the stairs, the right hand wall is in fact a passageway, meaning that it is much darker.

When I meant larger or smaller moves, it is this i was specifically referring to. The space above and the space below are joined separation. they flow completely unobstructed, maybe it was even meant to be a promenade in a Corbusian manner- this is the larger move. It is the different method that differentiates the space, notably the use of a trellis (which i find very regional, use generally around the tropical belt/ mediterranean?) and a courtyard to play with the connection/ separation of these spaces that interest me. I'd imagine the experience above and below to be very different, yet seemingly they are very transparent to each other.
        Architecture is so nerdy but awesome.

Comment

• electric_alyce
          • Mar 2008

Thanks swych, Faust and wire.artist! Will look into some of those books ^^
          Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wire.artist
            LC built a lot actually, in india and southamerica.
            Thank god he didn't do much urbanism , his idea of destroying Le Marais in Paris was....
            Adolf Loos was an active architect too hehe

I would recommend Delirious New York by Rem Koolhaas, Venturi's books and Aldo Rossi's books. Those are a fun read and extremely influential nowadays. Bruno Zevi is interesting too.
            There are some little books like Conversations with students by Louis Kahn that are a must.
            Tanizaki's little essay about shadow in architecture is another good one.

Benevolo's history books are a good resume of all time architecture.

Le Corbusier is quite annoying to read haha
            Fixed your typos in the first sentence Yea, when I show the proposed sketches for Le Marais in class, it brings the point home.

He is quiet annoying to read - I have to keep reminding my students about the time and place and the war they had to wage. Adolf Loos sounds like an outright condescending asshole in Ornament and Crime :-)
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swych
              • May 2008

<3 loos; they don't write like that anymore. what was it again, "if a tattooed man dies before committing a crime, then he had merely died premature to the murder he was to commit?"

corb gets repititve easily- thats why the ulrich conrads book is so awesome.

i like the list of books u provided wire artist, but i definitely wouldn't want to be reading the whole thing for alot of them. excerpts are the way forward because they get so caught up things get waffly and reptitive. venturi is case in point.

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

bumping this..

I need inspiration for building exteriors that mix old and new architecture, old buildings that have modern expansions.

working on a project that involves renovating an old factory building into apartments, and we need to add a column of balconies. instead of trying to blend it in, I want to make it stand out nicely. The building is basically a concrete block with a off-white exterior, I'm thinking of utilizing metal and a dark grey or black colour for the balconies.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• doldrums
                  • Dec 2008

awesome bump Lowrey -> really looking forward to more examples as working on a similar project.

Comment

• timber
                    • Nov 2008

Not sure where this home is, but I've always liked how warm and livable it looks. Also love how everything is so close to the ground...

http://111wpm.tumblr.com/

Comment

• surver
                      • Oct 2007

John Lautner built some of the koolest private residences of the 20th century in los angeles...

Comment

• mrbeuys
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                        bumping this..
                        I need inspiration for building exteriors that mix old and new architecture, old buildings that have modern expansions.
                        You may know this already, but if you don't, it will be pretty much spot on for what you are looking for:

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

didn't know about that, thanks! looks spot on indeed.

I've been meaning to order something from Gestalten so that worked perfectly..
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• plasmoplas
                            • Sep 2010

japanese architecture magazine

As a general inspiration for imaginary plans for my future house, I'm partial to the "Living Spheres" series. Each magazine showcases several houses in Japan built on narrow lots, ostensibly demonstrating how to make the most of the space.

Best I could find online was an amazon link

Comment

• kunk75
                              Banned
                              • May 2008

a link to some pics of the house we have bid on, it's an 1872 stick style on the national registry, will provide some interiors tomorrow.

The Woodshed, a stick style mansion located in Sea Cliff NY on Long Island's North Shore. This grand mansion was built in 1872. The Stick Style utilizes decorative trimboards or "Sticks" to symbolize and emphasize the timber construction used in the framing process.

The Woodshed, a stick style mansion located in Sea Cliff NY on Long Island's North Shore. This grand mansion was built in 1872. The Stick Style utilizes decorative trimboards or "Sticks" to symbolize and emphasize the timber construction used in the framing process.

Comment

• DmD
                                • Jul 2010

Amazing victorian kunk. Can you share any info on the history of the house? Can't wait to see some pics of the interior. Good luck with your bid.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎