Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

are julius leathers supposed to pull like that across the chest, etc.? my impression was that it was ill fitting.

Last edited by philip nod; 04-05-2010, 11:56 AM.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• HWith
      • May 2007

I agree with Avalanche about the fact that many of the outfits praised in here are mediocre if not bad in terms of overall fit and look. It is somewhat interesting to note that the praise of the bad fits are especially common when the person in queestion is wearing CCP or M.A.

I don't think it's a coincidence that when a good CCP/M.A fit is posted once in a rare while, you see a lot of comments such as "Usually I don't like CCP/M.A, but this is great". The truth is that most fits by those designers in here are rather bad, but when someone actually manages to pull it off, it's awesome.

Also it's kinda silly that as long as you think something is good, you can post along all you want, but as soon as you ask a negative question you are to write an essay in defense of your view if you're to be taken seriously. But of course, this only goes for a new member that makes a non-praising comment about an old member. When it's the other way around all old members are welcome in the blood bath. Just look at the Yes/No-thread with the guy in the RO-store.

Comment

• christianef
        • Feb 2009

it's actually not that silly, if a member with 2 posts calls something out and doesn't explain why its going to be perceived as if they just registered to make pointless trouble. even if that's not the case. senior members have the benefit of a history of posts to suggest otherwise when they simply dont like something.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
          are julius leathers supposed to pull like that across the chest, etc.? my impression was that it was ill fitting.
          the (WAYWT guy's) jacket's a size too small
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• kuugaia
            • Feb 2010

^^^ Your post pretty much said the following things.

1. I don't like it how people who have spent countless hours contributing to a community have more power over people with 2 posts.

2. I don't like it how I have to explain myself when I say somebody's clothes look like shit.

3. I don't like it how the clothes here are shit.

3. I don't like it how people have opinions that are different to mine.

4. I don't like it how I'm a pussy.

Oh sorry, I added the last one. Seriously...it's as if you just walked into a Nike store and said that Nike is shit. It sounds like you don't like how this forum is, why are you here?

Comment

• HWith
              • May 2007

I see your point and this forum is meritocratic, but sometimes the double standards are too strong.

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

HWith, it's a neverending story...part of what you say is true, part of it needs at least further developments.
                - I agree on the following rule: either positive or negative, a comment should always be based on arguments. You can find it obvious that an outfit is great (or ugly) but it's often obvious only in your eyes, not in the eyes of everybody here.
                - But concerning good/bad fit, it's a bit short as a description. Let me take a recurrent example, namely CCP's formal outfits. They are designed to look a bit awkward, a bit gauche. So if someone is used to judge formal outfits by the normative criterion of clean sartorial perfection, most CCP outfits will fall in the fail category for sure in his/her eyes. But take a look at the CCP lookbooks, these clothes are not intended to look like Savile Row stuff.
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                  HWith, it's a neverending story...part of what you say is true, part of it needs at least further developments.
                  - I agree on the following rule: either positive or negative, a comment should always be based on arguments. You can find it obvious that an outfit is great (or ugly) but it's often obvious only in your eyes, not in the eyes of everybody here.
                  - But concerning good/bad fit, it's a bit short as a description. Let me take a recurrent example, namely CCP's formal outfits. They are designed to look a bit awkward, a bit gauche. So if someone is used to judge formal outfits by the normative criterion of clean sartorial perfection, most CCP outfits will fall in the fail category for sure in his/her eyes. But take a look at the CCP lookbooks, these clothes are not intended to look like Savile Row stuff.
                  The last point is very important, CCP is a pure rejection of the golden ratio and clothing as something that recedes in the background and put forward the personality of the wearer. When we say CCP garments are "objects" it also means they barely need you, the wearer. You're just there cause they need something to hang on.
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• deleuze
                    • Jul 2007

If you don't like the smell of shit, get out of the toilet. It's the American way.

Comment

• HWith
                      • May 2007

What a ridiculous post. Lemme sum it up for you.

I don't have a problem with some degree of forum member credibility and meritocracy. I have a problem with the fact that new members have to go great lengths to make a negative post, while old members can flame newbies as they please.

That's one.

It's okay to explain yourself when you say someone's outfit look like shit, but Avalanche didn't say that, did he? No, he didn't. Also, if you read the rest of the paragraph in question, you'll see that's not really my point. Apart from the double standards it's the "Great fit mayn, baller CCP yo"-tFS-style of posting that is kinda silly. If you think something is great, then say why it's great. Otherwise a "Great fit!"-comment it's just as useless as a "Shitty fit!".

Oh, and you're right, people with opinions different from mine are usually kinda annoying, but I tolerate them none the less :p I really don't see your point though. Would you like to elaborate?

And finally, your analogy makes no sense at all. I don't think CCP or whatever is shit. I just say that a lot of fits including those designers are bad but a praised anyways. Apart from that and a few other things I very much like this forum. Nothing is perfect. Apparently it's you who don't like people with opinions different from yours.

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                      ^^^ Your post pretty much said the following things.

1. I don't like it how people who have spent countless hours contributing to a community have more power over people with 2 posts.

2. I don't like it how I have to explain myself when I say somebody's clothes look like shit.

3. I don't like it how the clothes here are shit.

3. I don't like it how people have opinions that are different to mine.

4. I don't like it how I'm a pussy.

Oh sorry, I added the last one. Seriously...it's as if you just walked into a Nike store and said that Nike is shit. It sounds like you don't like how this forum is, why are you here?

Comment

• deleuze
                        • Jul 2007

The Saville Row is a good point but I think in general this is recognized and most of the complaints come when the outfit does look too generic. Also the crooked austerity which is essential to Poell's design should not encompass all flawed fits whether it be sleeves hanging off the hands, puckering around the shoulders or extra long pants with weird bunching.

Comment

• seenmy
                          • May 2009

to chime in on OWM outfit

For me it also feels a bit awkward and isnt exactly to my taste,although the individual items I would examine for hours given the chance to have in hand,on the body here they dont inspire me,I dont think the cramped photo style helps,it also looks like its shot slightly from below which always throws the proportions off

Comment

• HWith
                            • May 2007

I see your point, but in this forum we share a common aesthetic, and even though many of the members dress radically different from each other, they can still appreciate each others style. You don't have to wear something yourself to be able to appreciate it. I some times even see hypebeast-kiddies wearing an outfit and think "Hey, that's actually pretty well done" even though I only wear black. I understand CCP and CCP formal wear, and I know it's supposed to be a bit off, just like e.g. Thom Browne. But I can still see when it's off in the wrong way, so to speak.

EDIT: I'm trying to find my own point it this post. I think that it is the following:
                            People in here pretty much share and understand a common aesthetic, and that when disagreements occour it is often because the praise is given based on the member/designer instead of the fit itself.

Originally posted by BSR View Post

Comment

• kuugaia
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by HWith View Post
                              I agree with Avalanche about the fact that many of the outfits praised in here are mediocre if not bad in terms of overall fit and look.
                              Why I got a bit frustrated was because of what I bolded in your above post.

"Great fit!" encourages people to do post more and let them know that you appreciate/like their effort/input. "Shitty fit!" has much less benefit.

It's like meeting a new friend. When the relationship is new, you can't say somethings that you would like to say, even if it's true. Why? Because it's a dick thing to do when you are new. But once you've earned some trust and credibility, it's easier to say what you want. Anybody can register under any anonymous alias and post crap. Why not post your crap after people know more about you.

Want to know something interesting? I agree with you about CCP that it's overrated in my personal opinion. But I don't make a general comment saying everybody looks shit in it. Why? Because I haven't handled any of the pieces and if 'respectable' people really like it, there is probably a reason for it. As to what it is, I still can not really see.

Comment

• francojean23
                                • Sep 2008

just an off the cuff remark , i think sometimes outfits get praised on here despite them not looking spectacular in the photos because people know the pieces , in the very least abstractly through knowing the designers , and realize that a lot of the outfit is lost when it's flattened onto a picture . so when people say it looks great it's kind of giving the benefit of the doubt that it's probably amazing in real life and possibly really hard to capture on film

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎