Balenciaga Womens F/W 2016 - Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Mar 2009

There are updated versions of FW06. The first page of a new chapter that considers the previous ones. You can easily draw parallels between Nicolas' and Demna's work. Sure, Demna does ugly, but he does it good.
    This is also answering questions to people who (used to) Balenciaga (not necessarily the kind that post online). It is offering them what was lacking in their wardrobes.
    This is the first Vetements collection all over again and I couldn't be more please.

I was also glad to read mainstayer0's post in this thread, but they were moved....

Comment

• mainstayer0
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by *** View Post
      I was also glad to read mainstayer0's post in this thread, but they were moved....
      Imagine that

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Moved, not removed.

I went to the showroom. Looks a bit better, but still far from good. I'm glad the opinion is split on this. At least we have something to discuss.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          I just hope that Angelo Flaccavento will at least not praise it.
          He did, he went there.

Gvasalia, meanwhile, went mainstream: his excellent debut at Balenciaga — a clever merging of atelier finesse and metropolitan spirit — globally reset the fashion agenda, even if it did not rewrite the fashion order from scratch.

Because, you know, the real protagonist of Paris Fashion Week was fashion's primo desaparecido: Martin Margiela. From Vetements and Balenciaga — where Gvasalia has never made a mystery of being an alumnus, intelligently updating Margiela’s tropes to cater to new, younger audiences, adding phenomenal casting and much ado about coolness with the help of stylist and queen of the Parisian underground Lotta Volkova — to Off-White, Miu Miu, Koché and so on, everybody was paying homage to good old Martin, who might be somewhere having a liberating laugh. Everybody but John Galliano, in fact, who has morphed Maison Margiela into his own irresistible cuckoo lady fantasy.

Comment

• Law
            • Dec 2013

Two Shows, Four Eventful Days for Balenciaga's Hot New Designer:

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Law View Post
              Yeah, it's too bad. Well, at least it was not unequivocal praise.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Law View Post
                Two Shows, Four Eventful Days for Balenciaga's Hot New Designer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/fa...lia.html?&_r=0
                And, of course he talks about what a great businessman Balenciaga was.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
                  • Dec 2013

Can add Imran Amed to the growing list of acolytes.

Walking into the Balenciaga showspace on Sunday morning, there was certainly a sense of anticipation about Demna Gvasalia’s debut for the storied house. Personally, I wondered whether he would be able to carve out a distinctive identity for Balenciaga, one that would be differentiated from the red-hot street-inflected aesthetic of Vetements and respectful of the architectural precision of Cristóbal Balenciaga.

It turned out to be all of that — and more. Demna had thought of the entire experience from the moment we walked into the venue, where little speakers squawking out unintelligible noise lined the route downstairs into a huge underground television studio. The walls were insulated with grey padding and there were no windows at all. We really could have been anywhere in the world.

Before the show started, I began to feel differently in that hermetically sealed environment. For one, it was quite warm. And then, when the intoxicating soundtrack started with a few intermittent beeps and the first look — a tailored plaid blazer with padded shoulders and hips — came out, I was hooked. As the show progressed and the music became increasingly layered and complex, the key messages of Demna’s Balenciaga were revealed: a focus on outerwear and tailoring, and an unusual but striking use of colour blocking and pattern mixing.

It wasn’t a perfect debut. The patchwork floral dresses paired with candy-stripe stockings were less successful and the accessories looked too boxy and clunky to be commercially successful, but it was the overall experience and feeling that made it one of the top shows of the season. Even with all the breathless expectation, Demna managed to deliver something that people really responded to. By the time I left the show space, I felt a bit disoriented, as if stepping onto solid ground after spending time on sailboat.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

At least it's not unconditional praise.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• YohjiIsLife
                      • May 2015

There are updated versions of FW06. The first page of a new chapter that considers the previous ones. You can easily draw parallels between Nicolas' and Demna's work. Sure, Demna does ugly, but he does it good.
                      I thought that I was the only one to notice, the kick-pleats, that floral brocade and those architectural skirts brought that collection to mind.

Personally I am very divided on Demna, on one side I really loved his first efforts for his own house (like many others in this forums) then, when he started receiving a hype so disproportionate, I just hated Vetements.

But now I've got to agree with Imran Amed. I was inmediately taken by the beauty and style of it all. My favorite looks are the trenchcoats shown with blown up quilted ties, the oversized sweaters, the puffa jackets and the floral skirts I mentioned before. They all had that feeling of something banal and ugly but transformed into something precious.

However there are other looks that are just disgraceful: those floral capes that look like my grandma's oven mittens and the fur coats. Those should be burnt ASAP.

Comment

• Mattiassa
                        • Dec 2014

A little late on this.

Definitely some interesting pieces in this collection. I thought the necklines of the jackets were gorgeous. Also the widened trench coats of which some were open and some were tied across was great. Except for the jewelry entrenched shoes most of the foot wear were cool.

The warped beauty of the models I also enjoyed.

Will there be mens collection for SS 17?

Comment

• Sulk
                          • Mar 2015

To be fair, not every look is hideous.

I wish I knew what the intention was for the pocket/waist inserts. It looks like some sort of fashionable option for a thermos smuggler.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mattiassa View Post
                            A little late on this.

Definitely some interesting pieces in this collection. I thought the necklines of the jackets were gorgeous. Also the widened trench coats of which some were open and some were tied across was great. Except for the jewelry entrenched shoes most of the foot wear were cool.

The warped beauty of the models I also enjoyed.

Will there be mens collection for SS 17?
                            yep..

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• YohjiIsLife
                              • May 2015

HQ BACK VIEWS-PART 1

Comment

• YohjiIsLife
                                • May 2015

HQ BACK VIEWS-PART 2

Comment

Working...
                                X