X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: style inspirationz.

[quote user="Chinorlz"]It looked like it! The arrangement, style and the tones... plus it's a nutty photo and he's a big fan. I have one of his curated extra large magazines... there are some... interesting photos there hahaha[/quote]

Yea, it is definitely signature 'Terry'. I'm sure there's some 'interesting' photos out there...lol.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• mesh
      • Dec 2006

[quote user="kira"]I dont think it is that literal. But what you look at and what you are drawn to through your senses, affects your being. I think some may be aware of that more consciously and thus the images presented, others are affected more subconsciously. Everything that we sense affects us in some way, regardless of your awareness. Images, sound, touch, taste...promote a certain feeling, attraction, mood, etc. that stays with us and eventually becomes a part of our expression, becomes a part of our being.
      [/quote]

I think the reason I don't see it here is that all these imagesare what people would like to believe is their inspiration but as compared to their day to day outfits it just doesn't carry over to the colors and lines of say jeans/t shirt and sneaks like cas wears for example. If you broaden it to non-literal things than anything can be passed off as inspiration really.

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

[quote user="mesh"]

[quote user="kira"]I dont think it is that literal. But what you look at and what you are drawn to through your senses, affects your being. I think some may be aware of that more consciously and thus the images presented, others are affected more subconsciously. Everything that we sense affects us in some way, regardless of your awareness. Images, sound, touch, taste...promote a certain feeling, attraction, mood, etc. that stays with us and eventually becomes a part of our expression, becomes a part of our being.
        [/quote]

I think the reason I don't see it here is that all these images are what people would like to believe is their inspiration but as compared to their day to day outfits it just doesn't carry over to the colors and lines of say jeans/t shirt and sneaks like cas wears for example. If you broaden it to non-literal things than anything can be passed off as inspiration really.

[/quote]

Yes, this is something I've been thinking about as well. I'd like to see a "Literal Inspiration" thread, or a more detailed examination of personal style. Are there certain details you tend to lean towards? Certain materials? Certain mannerisms (i.e. how or what a person would layer and when). Or even as you said: photos or references that you pull from very specifically, for instance "Here's a picture of <blank>, as a result of this I did <blank> bought <blank> or wore <blank> a certain way.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

I think it still all depends on how you look at it; Color palette, feeling, textures, etc. all can be derived from what we feel is 'inspiration'. I may wear t-shirt, pants, and boots but I may throw in jewelry, a hat, etc. Not to mention, for me, I get more of a feeling from looking at photos or other mediums and that is what I translate to inspiration.

Needless to say, I don't wake up in the morning, flip through some photos and go, "Hey, I feel inspired by this, I want to try and dress like this today!"

Inspiration for style is a whole. It's not about day to day or even month to month, it's about finding a common ground from clothing to other mediums.

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

Also, I look at things of inspiration for other reasons; Art and design. This is why when you see studios or workspaces of designers, they'll have inspiration boards or reference boards for a collection. Some of it is literal and some of it is there just because it evokes feeling. This is the way I approach it.

Comment

• mesh
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="mesh"]

[/quote]

I think the reason I don't see it here is that all these imagesare what people would like to believe is their inspiration but as compared to their day to day outfits it just doesn't carry over to the colors and lines of say jeans/t shirt and sneaks like cas wears for example. If you broaden it to non-literal things than anything can be passed off as inspiration really.

[/quote]

Yes, this is something I've been thinking about as well. I'd like to see a "Literal Inspiration" thread, or a more detailed examination of personal style. Are there certain details you tend to lean towards? Certain materials? Certain mannerisms (i.e. how or what a person would layer and when). Or even as you said: photos or references that you pull from very specifically, for instance "Here's a picture of <blank>, as a result of this I did <blank> bought <blank> or wore <blank> a certain way.

[/quote]

Exactly, I thinkliteral inspiration would be more interesting since you can see where the visual cues may come from as minor as they may be. There's one image or drawingI love that i can't remember where I saw, it's of an older guy hunched over with slim tapered pants and a fur like coat hung on his shoulders, very margiela-esque. I love the look of it because it says I don't give a fuck and I try to emulate that as often as I can.

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                • Aug 2007

r u crazy i look exactly like the first dood i posted.

all time fashion icon inspiration:

Comment

• matthewhk
                  • Jan 2007

voltaire all those looks are very good and very you.

mesh: don't give a fuck-ness is great and all, but isn't trying to emulate that kinda defeating its purpose? =/

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

I don't think mesh is not giving a fuk, I think he's just casting doubt on the idea that one can in a meaningful sense be "inspired" in terms of what one wears by something other than something someone else is wearing.I think it's a valid position for which to argue.

Comment

• matthewhk
                      • Jan 2007

huh? i interpreted his post as he is inspired by a particular image of a man hunched over who looks like he wears his clothes as if he doesn't care a damn, and it was this mentality that he is striving for...when my point was that to achieve some effect like that the whole point of thinking about it defeats its purpose

am i correct in this assumption or did i misread that post...its hard to sift through this page with all those pics

Comment

• Aug 2007

true but at the same time yeah the thread is style inspiration which could also be loose for 'what do you find terminally stylish.'

like i think chicks who smoke r kinda slick.... but i dont smoke.

Comment

• matthewhk
                          • Jan 2007

you don't smoke? surprised to hear that...i figured you for a smoker somehow

yeah chicks who smoke are defnitely inspiring to me...man i feel that in looking for a girlfriend, one prerequisite she gotta meet is she has to be a smoker.

Comment

• Aug 2007

aha naw im pretty young and most of the clothes im into are a big enough burden to my student budget...so even if i wanted to id rather spend the $$ on duds or like shark tanks of cocaine ;).

naw but but yeah with regards to johnny's post...i know its a fashion forum and it all comes down to clothes i guess but the thread wasnt really specifically intended to decipher why people wear what they wear when they get dressed in the morning ...i was just more interested in what weird stuff kinda got people pumped to pump it.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]

huh? i interpreted his post as he is inspired by a particular image of a man hunched over who looks like he wears his clothes as if he doesn't care a damn, and it was this mentality that he is striving for...when my point was that to achieve some effect like that the whole point of thinking about it defeats its purpose

am i correct in this assumption or did i misread that post...its hard to sift through this page with all those pics

[/quote]

Ah right, I see. Sorry, my misunderstanding.

Comment

• matthewhk
                                • Jan 2007

im bad at findin picture so i'll just put in text some other images/things that inspire me and my style:

- Painters...one of the greatest things i ever read was about Basquiat who would buy an Armani suit then go paint in it. That total disregard for proper clothing strikes a nerve with me. I don't think any material object should be treated too preciously.

- Figures like Alain Delon and Serge Gainsbourg who came off as totally hedonstic and reckless in their swagger. I'm highly attracted to the idea of dysfunction, one reason why I like Michael Mann's film Heat so much as it features characters who totally embody that.

- Solitude. Jean Touitou put it well "i love being well dressed when nobody's watching"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎