Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaintedBlack_7
    • Sep 2010

Been reading alot of kant and meashimer lately, interesting how it applies to what goes on i todays political spectrum. Not popular here or anywhere else really, but its interesting stuff.

Comment

• spiral jetty
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
      I'm sure they lose something in the translation, but they are still good books. I lived in Austria for a year, so I get some of Bernhard's references and opinions of the people in Austria.
      It's not exactly a wayr-topic. but by chance i found myself in midst of Thomas Bernhard land, when i was invited to a friend's wedding at the Traunsee in Austria. Bernhard owned, furnished and lived a couple of old farmhouses there and died in Gmunden in '89. they still run a Bernhard archive there.
      a bit off but interesting to see, where the man lived. and quite a peculiar area with quite 'characteristic' people in a pretty much bernhadian sense there. i remember it so well because i almost fucked up my white margiela suit during the wedding party...
      good luck with your german lessons.

Comment

• Acéphale
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by docus View Post
        Thomas Bernhard
        from Amras
        « It was rare that we mustered the courage to approach the window and push back the shutters: victims of deceit, or so it seemed to us in the howling of the storm, we looked out on the randomly stunted apple trees, into an alpine terrain numb with all that darkness and enigmatic nature and upheaval of reason, a curiously noisy terrain, as it seemed to us, and as though populated only far below, at the end of the apple orchard, where the circus was, an obstinate terrain, scuffed out of its eccentricity only by its black and brown, and here and there white, reflections, a terrain whose suburban existence forever exhausted itself in punishable offences, exasperating... What we heard were the limpid rivulets of an uninterrupted, moribund chemistry, what we saw, day and night, was nothing but night... roaring, deafening darkness... We had always and from the start been trained to observe everything that was foundering, but here in the tower, distraught, drawn by all of nature into her confidence, we suddenly felt the wisdom of decay... Distracted from ourselves by nothing but ourselves, we beheld ourselves at Amras in our sibling connectedness, seething one moment and petrified the next... time and time again asking the question: why do we still have to live... and were forever without an answer -- no illuminating echo ever, always backstrokes like cerebral strokes! -- helplessly dependent on each other, even in the paltriest actions and functions, in a double-brained loneliness contracting within us and around us more and more with each hour, and yes, even if it confirmed our humanity... even days, weeks later we still did not dare talk to each other about the catastrophe; in animal communion, still below the threshold of any mystification, we stuck only to organic matters... everything in us derailed into the potential for extinction, into the deepest natural energies... »
        ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
          Unbelievable: I picked this up in a remainders bin as a young teen and remember being so taken with this book, so much so, that I grew up with my own rendering of the cover on my wall.

I've never seen or heard anything of this book since...

I always have a copy of Robert Musil's Diaries (book 1) nearby.

Collodi's original Pinocchio (on New York Review of Books Press -- a fantastic press putting out forgotten masterworks). The original is, as you might have guessed, extraordinarily dark and ultimately revelatory. It must be read in tandem with Giorgio Agamben's exegesis on Pinocchio in "Infancy and History: Reflections on the Destruction of Experience." (Verso) (One of the most underrated in Agamben's ouevre, in my opinion.)
          "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
          It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
          My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• lost53
            • Dec 2010

white Heat

white Heat- history of GB 64-70. Not as interesting as the previous - never had it so good...

Comment

• laughed
              • Jul 2009

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ how do you like it?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

I'll get around to reading that book in its entirety, one day...

Went back to a high school English class text, Carver's collection Where I'm Calling From. The stories resonate much more now, and I like that signature of his where he often ends a story on an ambiguous sentence. Also the strange kind of creepiness that's under the surface of his seemingly simple words or dialogue. Altman's film was good but feels completely different from the original prose, and that's fine too...
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Acéphale
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                    Robert Musil's Diaries
                    from Notebook 3
                    « It is distressing to reflect that we hurry like little hunted dots along the line that is our life and finally disappear down some unforeseen hole. And that, in front of us and behind, at intervals that nothing can reduce, other similar dots go racing along, which have some kind of temporary link with us, like the next links in the chain of a paternoster lift that goes racing on round. Aniversaries, birthdays, etc., are a cruel refinement. You have now lived a third, a half, two thirds, of your life... Finally chronology as a whole, if one assumes it to be a product of mankind, is something terribly shortsighted.
                    This is the backdrop of the empty hours. »
                    ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Sounds like Musil, alright.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• croatoan
                        • Jul 2007

Comment

• Acéphale
                          • Apr 2010

/\ the master

have you been to his museum in misawa city?

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• croatoan
                            • Jul 2007

Nooo I haven't. I tried to do an Aomori trip last spring to visit that and various Dazai spots, but I ended up being too poor. Someday.

Comment

• swami
                              • Jul 2008

Bukowski's WOMEN , really enjoying it !

I can swear the character of Hank Moody on CALIFORNICATION is a watered down / sugared up version of Henry!

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Elizabeth Wilson - Adorned in Dreams. Finally. Owed it to myself.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎