Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

I dunno, to me a cult hit is something like last exit to brooklyn and I was definately not nderwhelmed when I read it. admittedly I was something like 17 at the time

but I guess you are right, some cult hits maybe also happen to be actual excellent books, but it's not a prerequisite

Comment

• rottentomatoes.
      • Mar 2008

Right now I am digging myself into the world of Patti Smith. Been reading Just Kids for a couple of days. It's really personal and marvellous. She is practically living for the sake of art, I find her life so beatiful in the end of the 60's. It seems like such a creative time.

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

After being blown away by the film The Countess, which a strongly recommend again, I'm reading The Bloody Countess: Atrocities of Erzsebet Bathory by Valentine Penrose. It's quite incredible actually, a very evocative book

Sidenote: I love the name Erzsebet, I think it's extremely pretty, but would it be totally terrible if I named a potential daughter that? would I risk her becoming a psychopath? (factor in the fact that with me as a mom she's not likely to be super stable to begin with)

Comment

• Mail-Moth
          • Mar 2009

Bah, it is so different today. You don't have to refrain from being sadistic anymore. Little Erzsebet would most probably live a very entertaining - and rewarding from every point of view - social life
          I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
          I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

it's true that since you can buy anti-age cream made of foetuses, the blood of grown virgins seems kind of stale in comparison

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Just bought this. Looking forward to it.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jamesd
                • Sep 2008

Just starting The Flame, Gabriele d'Annunzio (fascinating guy)

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

Burroughs - The Wild Boys. What a badass writer.
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Acéphale
                    • Apr 2010

« At last the weather grew milder and the wind less bitter. The sun, invisible till now, made fitful reappearances in the pitiless sky, touching the earth with furtive rays of light. There was a momentary awakening in the garden where living shrubs emerged from an apparently lifeless soil. The box, with its little yellow spoon-shaped leaves that broke when touched, and the juniper with its bluish needles and berries of black-indigo, pushed through their pall of half-melted snow.

The spindle-wood, the variegated laurel, the yew, the rosemary, still green, the holly whose bright red berries now looked tanned, helped to enliven the shrubberies, when all the other bushes showed only dry twigs all shrivelled and burnt by the burning frost of the north wind. Even so, all the plants looked ailing, like convalescents just risen from their bed of snow.

The only group which had thriven in the frost was the hellebore. They grew in abundance along the paths; some of them, such as the Christmas roses, were in full bloom, their blossom, of an unwholesome purplish hue, suggesting the colour of a scar, or of a closing wound, fitted well their poisonous nature; and there were other hellebores, black ones, with cut, saw-edged leaves, reeking of poison more venomous still. If you pulled them up, you found that they had slender roots like those at the bottom of a bulb. Old sixteenth-century botanists set store by them, saying that they expelled phlegm and choler, and cured the itch, ringworm, scab, mange, impetigo, and other disorders of the blood; but they had a sinister look, with their funereal leaves and blossoms of the colour of unripe apples; like their sisters, the Christmas roses, they hung their heads and lacked the frank charm of wholesome flora. »

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Matay
                      • Jun 2010

the monotony of domesticity was not to his liking

Comment

• Nemesis_4
                        • Nov 2009

Faust- have you started reading Crowds and Power yet? I just read a few reviews on it, sounds like a great read, any opinions?

Comment

• Johngd
                          • Feb 2009

Have anyone read in search of lost time by Marcel Proust? its like a project to get through 4000 pages or something. Is it worth it?

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

short answer: yes

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

onto The Soft Machine now; this is even better. I like Bill at his most straightforward cutup junk talk its got legs
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johngd View Post
                                Have anyone read in search of lost time by Marcel Proust? its like a project to get through 4000 pages or something. Is it worth it?
                                funniest post ever.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎