• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rider
    eyes of the world
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Graeth View Post
    Has anyone got a good facial mousturiser that they would recommend? I currently use argan oil, but I recently bought some zinc oxide powder which I want to add to moisturiser to make a low spf day sunscreen (bit weird I know) and argan oil doesn't work with it. The argan is also a bit oily for day use.
    I noticed a lot of people were praising Aesop, so I'll have a look at that, but are there any other brands that are particularly loved?
    In my opinion, you can't go wrong with retin a at night, with a script of course, and then I find that Sisley black rose mask as a moisturizer for day is the right mix. It's a personal thing depending on your skin.
    P.s. I also use hyaluronic powder after moisturizing as a sub barrier.

Comment

• Graeth
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by rider View Post
      In my opinion, you can't go wrong with retin a at night, with a script of course, and then I find that Sisley black rose mask as a moisturizer for day is the right mix. It's a personal thing depending on your skin.
      P.s. I also use hyaluronic powder after moisturizing as a sub barrier.
      Hmm....might see if I can try the retin a- heard good things about it from other places. I do currently use a mild form of aha every so often, and I know it works well with retin a. How have you found using it, and how has it improved your skin?

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

I've been using it for about 15 years. My skin has no visible pores, rarely do I break out, the texture is smooth, I really don't have any wrinkles to speak of, however that could also be genetic because its not from a past of "good" living...

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

it can do wonders, but if your skin doesn't tolerate it (me), it's not a pleasant experience. i never knew your skin could actually "hurt"...not like a sunburn way, but just pain.

...one of the few times I would actually recommend a "patch test". I'm jealous of those who can use it...makes your skin remarkably different if you're consistent with it.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• 6i6i
            • Jul 2014

Hair

I know this does not necessarily apply to "skincare" and if it is irrelevant please delete it...but I thought it would be useful to hear about what some of you do with your hair. I feel like many times my hair holds me back! I have a platinum/white color and usually slick it back into a ponytail or wear it down. I'd like to hear some styling ideas/ ways to change it up. Thanks!

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

You can use this thread

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ulf
                • Apr 2014

I will second the Retin-A recommendations. Well, any generic tretinoin cream really. And a broad spectrum sunscreen, at least 30 SPF, every single day all year round. Even if you're inside, and even if it's raining or snowing.

Tretinoin speeds up the cell turnover and builds collagen in the deeper layers of the skin. It does this by "reminding" cells to act like they're supposed to, like young undamaged skin. There is actual scientific proof of this, which is something most lotions and potions can't claim.

Tretinoin is powerful stuff, and it can lead to side-effects like irritation, redness and flaking. These side-effects can be minimized by introducing tretinoin slowly, and gradually increasing the strength. The most common concentrations are 0.025%, 0.05% and 0.1%, and the longterm goal should be to use it daily in the highest concentration your skin can take without side-effects (except for an occasional flake, perhaps).

It seems like a common misconception is that your skin *should* flake, and that tretinoin somehow has stopped working when you no longer have flakey skin. This is simply not true – flakes and irritation signal that your skin has not adapted to the treatment. You probably will have to push through a flakey, irritated phase when you first start using tretinoin (or increase the strength) but this should be temporary and never extremely painful – if it is, you need to take it more slowly. And you need to use tretinoin regularly (every day or every other day) so that your skin gets adjusted to it.

And as always, do your research and ask your doctor – better safe than sorry!

Comment

• dreamcloset
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2014

My Favourite..

My fav is cleasing Lines... Really its good for me....

Comment

• wildinthewoods
                    • Feb 2014

Hey all. I have pretty ok skin, and I have never really used makeup or moisturizer or any products of any kind. My routine is gentle unscented soap to wash my face morning and night and then lip balm, never moisturize as my skin doesn't seem to need it. If I ever want to look fancy I have a kohl pencil I color my waterline with and once every five years I will try red lipstick, but I don't really like the way my face looks colored in, specially because I never learned the skills to do it properly.

Anyway, I'm in my late 20s now and I would like to start taking proper care on my skin. It's really hard to know where to start. I've read over this whole thread and I'm thinking of getting retin-a perhaps. How exactly do you get a prescription? Can I go to my family doctor and ask or do I need a referral to a dermatologist? Also my skin is medium oily, what kind of moisturizer should I use?

Comment

• Verdandi
                      • Mar 2012

First of all, the most important thing is sunscreen. Every day, even if it is cloudy. There is no better 'anti-aging treatment' than sunscreen out there.

Tretinoin (Retin A is the most popular product name) requires a prescription from either your general physician or a dermatologist. There are different strenghts available as well as different formulations and it would be best to discuss with your doctor of choice which formulation is suited best for your needs. There are some physicians out there who flat out won't prescribe tretinoin if you do not have acne (that's what it's originally for) because it can be VERY irritating and there is a good number of people out there who can't tolerate it at all. Tretinoin also tends to be drying so adding a moisturizer would help. If you decide to use tretinoin you have to use sunscreen (I know I go on about the sunscreen, but really, it's the most important thing).

As far as moisturizers go. If you feel you don't need one you don't really have to use one (apart from sunscreen of course). Maybe look into a good antioxidant serum instead because these tend to be more lightweight.
                      If you want to add a moisturizer I would look for something without a ton of fragrance (in my opinion fragrance of any kind has no use in skincare ever) and non-emolient alcohols. It should have antioxidants and stuff like ceramides in it. And - most important - it should not come in a jar. Everything that comes in a jar is useless, period.

Another thing you may want to look into is investing in a good exfoliant. That is a good chemical exfoliant; either an AHA or a BHA (better for oily skin because it helps to unclog pores) in the correct ph range.
                      lavender menace

Comment

• wildinthewoods
                        • Feb 2014

thank you Verdandi

Comment

• Jezil
                          • Apr 2014

I used to do Isotretinoin, it's really harsh stuff and I can't recommend it unless having serious skin issues, should you be 'lucky' enough to qualify that stuff makes you end up feeling like wearing babyskin.

Quite the icebreaker for my first post, ahem.

As for sunscreens I can definitely vouch for La Posey Roche spf 50, and I shall giveit the official ginger approval stamp from my part.
                          I'd be curious to hear on other's experiences and recommendations on suncreens, any tips?

Comment

• Phantom
                            • Mar 2011

dehydrated skin.

I have oily but dehydrated skin. Means that i need hydration, water in my skin not fat. you know the feeling when your face feels tight when the climate changes from summer to winter.

Ive tried a lot of different stuff, some stuff that is oil free makes my skin worse and more tight. especially the ones that claims to matte your skin.

Do any have the same problem and found something that worked?

Comment

• rider
                              eyes of the world
                              • Jun 2009

After trying many, the one I've repurchesd over and over is Sisley black rose mask, I use it as a moisturizer daily. It's light but hydrates well. I like it because it sinks right in and is the only moisturizer I found that I can use through all four seasons and it seems to adjust to what my skin needs.

Comment

• Verdandi
                                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                                I have oily but dehydrated skin. Means that i need hydration, water in my skin not fat. you know the feeling when your face feels tight when the climate changes from summer to winter.

Ive tried a lot of different stuff, some stuff that is oil free makes my skin worse and more tight. especially the ones that claims to matte your skin.

Do any have the same problem and found something that worked?
                                What products do you use at the moment? In most cases dehydrated skin is a result of a damaged lipid barrier which is often made worse by products that are too irritating.
                                lavender menace

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎