Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apathy!
    • Jan 2014

It would seem incorrect to describe fashion as very important considering the amount of people even in "first world" countries who cannot be sure that they will be eating dinner tonight.

This could easily become a semantic debate though and I'm never going to get away with this argument on a fashion forum

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Only 25% of children in the US live below the poverty line, and the poverty line is a fucking joke in itself. I know. It's just not mutually exclusive. And yes, it's semantics, you get the meaning.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jun 2014

Can I get a definition for how we're using the word "fashion?"

Are we talking about dress, how people adorn themselves. Or are we talking about Fashion the upheld institution.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Mmm, pretty sure miss punk there wasn't talking about the latter.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jun 2014

The problem with Westwood is that she walks and talks as if she operates outside of the fashion system. I'm not sure if by her definition she isn't trying to use them interchangeably. Which is what most people do.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Yes, I thought about that, but, a) she did start outside of the fashion system, and b) just because you are induced to play the game does not mean you like it or want to advocate it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jun 2014

She may have started with a King's Road boutique but happily saddled up with McLaren to evolve the brand and its credentials.

Even if Westwood hadn't entered fashion, if your aesthetic becomes a recognized style are you inherently a part of the system by de facto?

Regardless she most definitely is smack dab in the middle, upholding systems like neocolonialism which she's supposedly against.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

"Through the lens of unforewarned Norman, Sabbath saw what he looked like, had come to look like, didn't care that he looked like, deliberately looked like - and it pleased him. He'd never lost the simple pleasure, which went way back, of making people uncomfortable, comfortable people especially."

Philip Roth, Sabbath's Theater

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

Right now I’m trying to figure out how to make tulle look like concrete.

Rick Owens
                    sain't

Comment

• i-d-g
                      • Sep 2012

“A good design should be like a well-made sentence, it should only express one idea at a time.”

-Charles James
                      “Man has somehow always feared this search, and I fear it even now. Suppose all man ever does is search for the reason, crosses oceans, sacrifices his life in the search; but to search it out, actually to find it, he’s afraid. For he senses that once he finds it, there will be nothing to search for.”

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

"I think that I'm the first one who started presenting pre-collection, which was the biggest mistake of my life."

- Albert Elbaz

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
                          • Jul 2010

"Everything that seems imperishable tends to extinguishment."

- Marcel Proust

Comment

• Jun 2014

"We may like to think that the military and civilian are distinct or auspicious moments in our country's history. But in men's fashion the military is there all the time, even when you can't see it." - Nick Sullivan

Comment

• trentk
                              • Oct 2010

"Isn't everything that is capable of becoming shopworn already twisted or trite to begin with?" - Schlegel
                              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

"I don’t think that most of the designers have a very quick sense of humor. They take themselves very seriously because they want to be taken as artists. I think we are artisans. It’s an applied art. There’s nothing bad about that. If you want to do art, then show it in a gallery." Karl Lagerfeld

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎