• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Shoreditch
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Slangking
      • Nov 2010

Stoke Newington, Bethnal Green and London Fields are also near to Shoreditch and worth checking out.

Comment

• nellytheelephant
        • Mar 2008

From recollection Mitte's pretty central ; )

For somewhere with the galleries/bars/shops etc you mention and central, Soho's still a good bet.

But the places out East around Shoreditch are very nice. Haggerston's cheaper but close to all those places.

Comment

• snafu
          • Apr 2008

Mike you want Tosca tailor...

First Tailored Alterations, 85 Lower Sloane Street, London - Clothing Repairs & Alterations near Sloane Square Tube Station - All In London

not cheap but the best tailor i have come across.

___

Sure Shoreditch, Dalston, London Fields etc

its where i live.

Comment

• nellytheelephant
            • Mar 2008

In a self-facilitating media node.
            Last edited by nellytheelephant; 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM. Reason: forgot to double-check it made sense before posting.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

It cracked me up when Mike Nouveau described shore ditch as Really self aware. It's like a parody of itself. But, hey, same goes for Williamsburg.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BBSCCP
                • Feb 2010

Thanks for the input! Seems like Shoreditch is really a nice place to live and hang out!

My University is in Hampstead, hence more North-West. The internet says it takes about 45+ minutes from Shoreditch to Finchley Road. I would rather prefer to live 30 minutes max. away from University. Is 45 minutes realistic?

Living in Hampstead directly might be rather boring - and really far away from places like Shoreditch. Maybe living somewhere in between might be the best ? Like Cottage or Camden? Or would you guys say living in Shoreditch is worth the trade off?

I forgot to mention: I am thinking about spending around 750 +/- pounds for a room. Is that feasible and what´s the best site to look for flatmates and short time / weekend jobs?

Comment

• nellytheelephant
                  • Mar 2008

Don't live in Camden.

Comment

• #ruin
                    • Jul 2011

i like camden, goths & slimelight.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BBSCCP View Post
                      Thanks for the input! Seems like Shoreditch is really a nice place to live and hang out!

My University is in Hampstead, hence more North-West. The internet says it takes about 45+ minutes from Shoreditch to Finchley Road. I would rather prefer to live 30 minutes max. away from University. Is 45 minutes realistic?

Living in Hampstead directly might be rather boring - and really far away from places like Shoreditch. Maybe living somewhere in between might be the best ? Like Cottage or Camden? Or would you guys say living in Shoreditch is worth the trade off?

I forgot to mention: I am thinking about spending around 750 +/- pounds for a room. Is that feasible and what´s the best site to look for flatmates and short time / weekend jobs?
                      that does not sound very realistic. anyway, if you live near old street station, i don't see how it'd be 45 minutes. more like 30. but londers will know better. Islington is also very nice and one long tube stop closer, but it's more family oriented.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Zenith
                        • Jun 2009

If Islington is an option, I would suggest you look there. I quite like hampstead myself though. Northern line moves faster than you think (when it works).
                        Don't live in Camden
                        Also this, and don't live in Shoreditch either.
                        Last edited by Zenith; 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• snafu
                          • Apr 2008

i have lived in hampstead before, it doesn't feel like london... which is great. I had the luxury of both hampstead and east for over a year and il be honest i was more drawn to hampstead... its not cheap but some nice little places around. Its certainly not for the ultra hip and young but you can always go east on the northern line or take get the tube from finchley road into central. I still miss hampstead... i want to buy a place there if i end up staying after uni.

Finchley is a dive, 02 centre is horrible, a few good asian supermarkets there and a big sainsbury's but really no plus points IMO.

I also lived in covent garden which i ended up liking, you never need to take public transport into central ... can walk to soho which i agree with nelly is great, i still miss being able to walk to china town. One good thing about being in central is that you have the option of super cheap or super expensive.

I will be honest £750 might get you a room in east but im not really sure about other areas.

Islington is pretty dull it sits in the middle it has a bit of charm but nothing like Hampstead's, yet it has a little bit more going on but nothing like Shoreditch. Camden is horrid.

You should really commit to one or the other: if you like mitte i think anywhere east is for you.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                            • Feb 2010

guys, thanks a lot! It´s really good to hear some info from people who know London like their pockets.

What I am looking for when it comes to London is the feeling, the vibe of the city. Many thanks for your input snafu since you have lived in hampstead and other places before. you say it doesn´t feel like London but it´s positive. what do you mean by that?

The point is - like probably in every major city - you can only catch the vibe of a city if you live in a great district where time doesn´t stand still. Like in Berlin, I would always recommend ppl. to live in the east and not in the west. And, if you decide to live in the suburbs of Berlin it feels like living in any other city in Germany but Berlin. You can always argue it is possible to take the tube and to be in the heart of London. But it´s still a big difference if you live close to the pulse of the city.

But furthermore, I am not looking for the fancy expensive restaurants in town and I am not going out every night for clubbing but I want to be sure to get to know London at its best and randomly meet great people without hanging around near the University and having a pint in the next and only country pub because everything else is too far away from me.

But covent garden should be impossible for 750 pounds/room even if I commit to scavenge the street..

Comment

• theaddict
                              • Apr 2008

LL.M.?
                              Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• mrbeuys
                                • May 2008

OK, to make it easy for you:
                                Move to Dalston.

I lived in Shoreditch for 10 years, it was great and while I still work there, I had to move on. It's just become too busy and needlessly expensive.
                                Moved to Dartmouth Park, which is on the other side of Hampstead Heath and I love it here. BUT, it's great if you like quiet, decent pubs and the amazing open spaces the Heath provides. You can run, swim or just stroll, it's great if you have kids (I do) but if you want even the slightest bit of youth culture (!) vibe, I wouldn't recommend it. People here are in their late 30s, work in media or film and drive audis.
                                Since I separated from my wife, I have lived all over the place, and in Dalston earlier this year. Absolutely loved it. Mind you, it's not that cheap, but you have everything you could want. If you like the yummy mummy set, there's Stoke Newington and Clissold Park, which is my second favourite park in London and you are no more than 10 minutes from Shoreditch and there's an overground train from Dalston central which takes you to Hampstead.
                                I am now back at the Heath and looking to buy, but there's not a week I am not in Dalston for a couple of nights.
                                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎