• Show
Clear All
  • Eye
    • Jan 2010

WTB : Incarnation leather jkt szXL / Augusta green ankle boots sz42

Comment

• Vanna
      • May 2008

Reading, The Real Life of Sebastian Knight by Nabokov.
      Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

I can't stomach Nabokov any more. I tried to read Pale Fire recently, and all I could think was "yeah you're smarter than me, I know, so shut up you condescending twat"

I gave it up quickly

Comment

• Vanna
          • May 2008

I'm gonna read this one and Laughter in the Dark based on recommendations, but yeah, I'm starting to feel that way even from the first chapter.
          Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

finally got my hands on Keith Richards' Life
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Icarium
              • Oct 2010

Wow based on the last two pages you fellows are some hard core literary types :)

I'm more of your usual sci-fi/fantasy geek. Right now I'm reading Iain M. Banks latest Surface Details and loving it.

Comment

• MoFiya
                • Sep 2007

Just finished Klaus Mann's "Der Vulkan". The ending was a bit of a letdown but I enjoyed the book nonetheless.

Now re-reading Murakami's "Sleep" (or whatever the english title of it is). The german edition comes in a beautiful hard cover with illustrations... I like the multimodal experience of it. But I know, Murakami is being seen controversial on SZ. Has anybody read 1Q84, yet? Opinions?
                I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• CDG Diffusion Line
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by galia View Post
                  I can't stomach Nabokov any more. I tried to read Pale Fire recently, and all I could think was "yeah you're smarter than me, I know, so shut up you condescending twat"

I gave it up quickly
                  that's his whole shtick though

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

I am aware
                    Doesn't mean I have to like it, or force myself to stomach it. I've read enough of him during my impressionable youth to be ok with never reading him again...

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

you are just insecure impressionable youth is the least appropriate time to read nabokov.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        you are just insecure impressionable youth is the least appropriate time to read nabokov.
                        Thank you Sigmund. Not at all, I was way more insecure when I pretended to like it because I felt I had to, because if I didn't it meant I wasn't smart enought to "get it". Now I feel secure in knowing that I get it and still find the guy annoying.

I understand that he is a great writer and everything, and I admire the craft (which is about the only thing I enjoy in his books tbh)... I just really don't like him

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Isn't it awesome that as we grow up, we can become so secure that we can safely say, I don't like this or that great writer?
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

yes, it is a great relief.

Comment

• spiral jetty
                              • Oct 2010

just re-reading some classic flaubert stuff - l'education, coeur simple - next to pierre bourdieu's die regeln der kunst/les régles de l'art, 1992.
                              l'education reads still so damn 'modern'. brilliant.

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Searching for some recommended reading - writing a paper on (essentially) how changes in printing technology effected the politics to an extent but primarily the perception of illustration. Anything from xylography to photographic related methods. I've got the photographic section well understood but even in this class we haven't much discussed how illustration or pre-photographic was 'perceived' in relation to truth.* (compared to something along the lines of how photography very generally went from being accepted as 'absolute' to now being seen with rather significant doubt as a result of philosophy and technology i.e. photoshop)

To sum it up: having trouble finding material regarding pre-photograpy related technologies and would appreciate any suggestions!

*it's not an especially good class - my knowledge of photography related writings are from another excellent class i took last year.

To keep with the thread to some extent, I'm reading the [i]Teach Us to Outgrow Our Madness[/url] collection of writings by Kenzaburo Oe. Really fantastic writing. Highly recommended.
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎