X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eton97
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by beardown View Post
    If there has ever been an argument to buy original designer goods over knock-offs, that whole thread stands as serious testimony.
    My god. Quite unbelievable.
    What I want to know is how much $$$ are they guys throwing down the drain to look like that.
    Surely a custom made jacket is going to come at a hefty price tag.....
    Would rather wear a bin bag than wear that custom ordered fake fencing + the leather looks like plastic.

Shows the skill involved by our favourite designers to make some of these pieces.
    you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• theconsumer
      • Feb 2009

The proud owner of fake fencing paid 250$ with shipping included, thanks to low cost of labor and materials in Pakistan. It seems to be well made, but fits rather badly, for made-to-measure. It also seems to have better leather that other replica leathers I've seen, but the result obviously still looks cheap compared to the real thing. Photos often don't show how leather looks and feels IRL. Calf in particular has less visible and more uniform grain, so it may look plasticy in the photos. Still, I believe IRL difference would be even greater than in photos.

Reason is that well made and attractively designed piece of clothing doesn't magically grow out of head of designer, or is a pattern to be copied. It's a collaborative work of many people and interaction of many local small businesses. You can't easily tear this ecosystem out of local soil and transplant it to Pakistan.

When someone in USA and Europe buys cheaply made stuff overseas it devalues work of people who make it locally and indirectly devalues his own work. But this is obviously not a concern of people involved in that thread.

Speaking from devils advocate position, buying a fake from Pakistan is somewhat comparable to going to Italy and ordering your replica at some local leather artisan. Except that you would pay a lot more for labor and custom pattern there, getting quite close to the price of RO jacket on sale. You would still end up with jacket which looks bad compared to the real one, as the artisan doesn't have access to the hides, their processing, patterns and experience RO or CCP have.

In summary, compared to usual fakes made in China, I see three major differences:

- probably no criminal organization and exploitation involved, it's a one man band
      - better made and made to measure (ahem)
      - involves local artisans, not factories

In my book, still better that buying even legit stuff from China and support of labor conditions and practices reminiscent of concentration camps and gulags. Apart from clothing and gadgets which are obviously made by hand, this includes mobile phones (in particular iPhone) and other electronic devices. Majority of them are also assembled by hand. Not even going into the issue of how raw materials from Africa are mined.

Of course, posting from a Lenovo laptop makes me complicit in that. Posting from HP one or iPad would as well. Hell, those Zapatista combat boots you can buy in San Cristobal have laces and soles made in China.

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
      My god. Quite unbelievable.
      What I want to know is how much $$$ are they guys throwing down the drain to look like that.

Surely a custom made jacket is going to come at a hefty price tag.....
      Would rather wear a bin bag than wear that custom ordered fake fencing + the leather looks like plastic.

Shows the skill involved by our favourite designers to make some of these pieces.

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

i've reported daytona and their other sister operations a while back to both ppl at owenscorp, diesel and honda (also copied...), but i suppose it's tricky shutting them down in pakistan.

it is NOT just some small artisan workshop - it's a bootlegging operation with a factory and online retail operation, run by some (expat) pakistani businessmen based in pakistan, UK and canada.

lowrey i think u should remove posts linking or referring to this shit.

Comment

• theconsumer
          • Feb 2009

Thanks for the clarification. I find it easy to believe their innocent guy-in-the garage appearance is really just a front, given how fast they are able to produce these jackets.

This shits exists and will be found regardless of SZ or its references here. It's WTF thread after all.

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
          i've reported daytona and their other sister operations a while back to both ppl at owenscorp, diesel and honda (also copied...), but i suppose it's tricky shutting them down in pakistan.

it is NOT just some small artisan workshop - it's a bootlegging operation with a factory and online retail operation, run by some (expat) pakistani businessmen based in pakistan, UK and canada.

lowrey i think u should remove posts linking or referring to this shit.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sCrAtChy View Post
            WHAT THE FUCK?
            fixed
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theconsumer
              • Feb 2009

Everything is fake now, including Porsche and Ferrari

“When you look at the car, there’s nothing different,” Pongpitaya says. “But when you test-drive it, you may notice.”

Comment

• mike
                • Dec 2006

lol they obviously look like kit cars
                whoever pays 100g's + on one of those is a fucking idiot. for that price you could have your pick from a very nice selection of vehicles.
                i thought they would be selling them for the price of a civic.

Comment

• michael_kard
                  • Oct 2010

It's just like the people who spend 200-250 pounds for dick replicas; they could easily find an OG for 500 (and in rarer instances for 400).
                  ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                  Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• KingJulien
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                    It's just like the people who spend 200-250 pounds for dick replicas; they could easily find an OG for 500 (and in rarer instances for 400).
                    Those replicas are $120 shipped pretty much anywhere. I haven't handled Rick sneakers but by all reports they're uncomfortable and the quality is bad, so what you're paying for is essentially the design, no?

Comment

• gavagai
                      • May 2010

the "WTF" is people actually discussing and linking to absolute shit counterfeit makers.

KARD, you have openly complained regarding E-bay "rip-offs" and fakes yet you now support this bullshit?

Comment

• ian+
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                        KARD, you have openly complained regarding E-bay "rip-offs" and fakes yet you now support this bullshit?
                        He is saying the exact opposite. Why bother spending 300 on sth fake when you can find the original with a bit more.
                        ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• mrbeuys
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by KingJulien View Post
                          Those replicas are $120 shipped pretty much anywhere. I haven't handled Rick sneakers but by all reports they're uncomfortable and the quality is bad, so what you're paying for is essentially the design, no?
                          I have had a pair for 3 years, worn around 3 days a week. Go to shoe for comfort and apparently indestructible. Not sure where you are getting your reports, but I suggest you try for yourself.
                          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• BSR
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
                            He is saying the exact opposite. Why bother spending 300 on sth fake when you can find the original with a bit more.
                            yeah, his hate makes him illiterate
                            pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                            Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

I was referring to leather jackets; I've seen quite a few of them end for prices between 200 - 250 pounds. Even though I don't support rip offs for personal reasons, I don't think it's anybody's business other than their own? Not sure why it's bad to discuss the dynamics of this existing part of the market we're otherwise so interested in.
                              Last edited by michael_kard; 01-30-2012, 08:18 AM. Reason: My bad.
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• BSR
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post

You only seem to write inexplicably condescending posts these days. Do you feel bad cos you realized you could have saved all this money and gotten yourself a replica?

^this is a strange way to speak to someone who just defended you

on second thoughts i may have misunderstood your posts, maybe you're supporting rip-offs and in that case apologies to gavagai, i still have to learn how to understand your writings, mk
                                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎