X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qnc.hst
    • Oct 2007

Re: What are you reading?

I went through a bunch of Elroy's stuff several years ago. Great pulpy fun, indeed!
    I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

Yeah, Du côté de chez Swann, has the famous opening page which is actually the reverse of this - the imagination goes wandering as Marcel falls asleep. It was published in 1913 and I presume that Musil had read it before he embarked on his book because the kind of social satire he set out to write owes a great deal to Proust.</P>

I polished off another 100 pages of The Man WIthout... this afternoon while my son had a marathon cat-nap. It's very page-turning stuff. Not the hard slog I expected. I already have a pet-hate character plus a couple of allies in the book who are trying to bring about his downfall.
      </P>

[/quote]</P>
      <DIV>I was actually thinking of the part--also in Swann's Way--where Marcel, upon waking up, is trying to mentally recall where he is and, being unable to do so, relies on the pains his body feels instead.</DIV>
      <DIV>"...when I woke thus, my mind restlessly attempting, without success, to discover where I was, everything revolved around me in the darkness, things, countries, years. My body, too benumbed to move, would try to locate, according to the form of its fatigue, the position of its limbs so as to deduce from this the direction of the wall, the placement of the furniture, so as to reconstruct and name the dwelling in which it found itself..."</DIV>
      <DIV></DIV>
      <DIV>(but I have the body in motion thread on the mind)</DIV>
      <DIV></DIV>
      <DIV>I'm jealous of both your son's cat nap and your reading Musil....seriously thinking about digging it out of storage now....</DIV>
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• dontbecruel
        • Sep 2006

oh yes, I'd forgotten that</p>

don't be jealous of my son's ability to sleep the afternoon away - life is for living! </p>

Comment

• jay
          • Mar 2008

Just finished Devil in the White City. GREAT BOOK!

Comment

• pbt
            • Jan 2007

RSGput me in mindofAndy Behrman's Electroboy. As it turns out the best bits are all in the guardian extract.</P>

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

The Curtain - Milan Kundera. Will give my left arm to right like he does (will still need the right one, for obvious reasons).
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jay
                • Mar 2008

I have just started "Kitchen Confidential, Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" by Anthony Bourdain. Great read so far. You will never eat swordfish again...

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Inspired in part by SZ bulletin board, Photo-Reportage by Bruno Munari, (From the Island of Truffles to the KIngdom of Misunderstandings)</P>

</P>
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                    • Sep 2006

I want to keep these cute little dancing trolls in my pocket

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

love it!!!! [75]</P>

I highly recommend the Munaribook to you, if you are not already familiar with it.....I think you would like it very much. I wish I could find more pictures to post, as his "captions" are utterly brilliant. </P>

Comment

• kira
                        • Mar 2008

[quote user="jay"]I have just started "Kitchen Confidential, Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" by Anthony Bourdain. Great read so far. You will never eat swordfish again...[/quote]</p>

Great book. All of his books are really wonderful. I just bought The Nasty Bits a few weeks ago but have not started it yet. I was told that it was great as well. He had a show on the Food Network, not sure if it is still on there...
                        </p>

</p>
                        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

[quote user="laika"]

love it!!!! [75]</p>

I highly recommend the Munaribook to you, if you are not already familiar with it.....I think you would like it very much. I wish I could find more pictures to post, as his "captions" are utterly brilliant. </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

This may need to be my next...</p>

Comment

• jay
                            • Mar 2008

[quote user="kira"]

[quote user="jay"]I have just started "Kitchen Confidential, Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" by Anthony Bourdain. Great read so far. You will never eat swordfish again...[/quote]</P>

Great book. All of his books are really wonderful. I just bought The Nasty Bits a few weeks ago but have not started it yet. I was told that it was great as well. He had a show on the Food Network, not sure if it is still on there...
                            </P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

[/quote]</P>

He still has the show, it's called No Reservations. I love how he is just a normal guy and tells it like it is. Funny as hell too. Nasty Bits is next on my list.</P>

Comment

• kira
                              • Mar 2008

[quote user="jay"][quote user="kira"]

[quote user="jay"]I have just started "Kitchen Confidential, Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" by Anthony Bourdain. Great read so far. You will never eat swordfish again...[/quote]</p>

</p>
                              <p mce_keep="true"></p>

[/quote]</p>

He still has the show, it's called No Reservations. I love how he is just a normal guy and tells it like it is. Funny as hell too. Nasty Bits is next on my list.</p>

[/quote]</p>

yes that's it thanks for reminding me of the name. saw it a few times. quite funny.</p>

Comment

• Yan
                                • Mar 2008

Platform by Houllebeq. hard work but worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎