• croatoan
    • Jul 2007

Just came in the mail.

Comment

• Macro
      • Apr 2008

My past two books:

Almost done with:
      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• docus
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
        Been reading this:

[Blindness by Jose Saramago]

I think it's kind of awful, to be honest. Probably won't end up finishing it.
        I also found it aw[e]ful, in the sense that it inspired awe - one of the most powerful books I've ever read.

Comment

• tajdon
          • Feb 2012

I just started reading James Rollins' Black Order. Though I am not really a fan of action/thriller novels (it was a gift last Christmas), I do find it quite good.

Last edited by tajdon; 03-05-2012, 02:19 AM.
          "Clothes and jewellery should be startling, individual. When you see a woman in my clothes, you want to know more about them. To me, that is what distinguishes good Australian designers from bad Australian designers."

Comment

• Czx
            • Feb 2011

Currently ending The Spring to Come by Stefan Zeromski for school. In polish of course. Loving it. I personally love how he led the love plot. And the description of the youth and revolution that Cezary goes trough is amazing.
            néant
            Last.FM paranoia
            Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
            0 > ∞

Comment

• Johngd
              • Feb 2009

Reading @university

Comment

• laughed
                • Jul 2009

Comment

• MJRH
                  • Nov 2006

Thanks to those folks who brought up Robert Walser a little while ago, I'd never heard of him.

Originally posted by The Assistant
                  Joseph recalled certain times in his life when buying a new necktie or a stiff English hat had sent him into a frenzy. Half a year before, he had experienced just such a hat scenario. It had been a quite good normal hat of moderate height, the sort that "better" gentlemen are in the habit of wearing. Joseph, however, felt nothing but distrust for this hat. A thousand times he placed it upon his head, standing before the mirror, only to set it back on the table. Then he moved three steps away from this charming eyesore and observed it the way an outpost observes the enemy. Nothing about it was in any way objectionable. Hereupon he hung the hat up on its nail, and there too it appeared quite innocuous. He tried putting it on his head again--oh horror! It seemed bent on trying to split him in two from top to bottom. He felt as if his very personality had become a bleary, caustic, bisected version of itself. He went out onto the street, and found himself reeling like a despicable drunkard--he felt lost. Stepping into a place of refreshment, he took off his hat: saved! Yes, that had been the hat scenario. He had also experienced collar scenarios in his lifetime, as well as coat and shoe scenarios.
                  ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Finished The Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and now in the middle of

Both collections are really fantastic - can't recommend them enough.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Umami
                      • Sep 2010

Persian Boy by Mary Renault

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

yeah, enjoyed consider the obster a lot as well, easy to read and fun

Comment

• Czx
                          • Feb 2011

Currently reading Ferdydurke by Witold Gombrowicz for Polish class. Quite an interesting read. Very much so in terms of style and the language used.
                          néant
                          Last.FM paranoia
                          0 > ∞

Comment

• een
                            • Sep 2006

Comment

• Czx
                              • Feb 2011

Well we do have many things to be proud about in terms of literature, that's for sure :) It is a very hard language to learn when it's not native though, from what I heard that is. And it would take much to learn to be able to challenge writing from the late XIX and XX (especially). Still I encourage to, rarely have I been let down by our literature and Polish is an amazingly beautiful language in right hands, one of the most poetic ones if you ask me.
                              néant
                              Last.FM paranoia
                              0 > ∞

Comment

• asdf123
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Finished The Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and now in the middle of

Both collections are really fantastic - can't recommend them enough.
                                I was just planning to get my hands on those, lol!

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
                                one of my favorites. i wish i could read polish because i know i'm missing out on great things.

i recently finished cosmos as well, which i may have liked even more than ferdydurke. a stick, a bird, a slithering lip, a trash heap, a finger poked in a priest's mouth.. all coming together.. kind of..

i really hope danuta borchardt is working on new translations of the diaries into english.
                                Try Trans-Atlantyk.
                                I'm still quite amazed how much Gombrowicz is appreciated in countries besides Poland. Don't get me wrong - he's a great writer but there are lots more influential and interesting writers in polish literature besides him, it all might be due to the fact that polish is near to untranslatable.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎