• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Supel View Post
    Unsure to take this as positive or negative Q? Or perhaps both

The only thing that bothers me about this is the use of dolphin skin? Seems pretentious. On the other hand silk extracted from a spiders gland implanted in a goat sounds interesting. I wonder which piece this was used on?
    Most (if not all) exotic (to us) materials Sruli uses are sourced either from a) population control practices or b) leftovers from the food industry. It's actually a sustainable and humble practice and has nothing to do with pretension. Puffins maybe exotic to us but they eat them in Iceland...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• byhand
      • Dec 2011

The pieces cut semi-normally appear to be pandering when the bulk of the work is kept in mind. Makes one ponder when thinking of buying a piece or two from the man. Go for the wearable or the piece that will languish in the closet?

I like the footwear heel, but not sure how wearable it is.

The knits look the safest. I mean no one stocks this stuff, so it's not like most of us will ever be able to try it on before purchasing. Do you want to gamble on one of the more peculiar pieces that barely look wearable on the model? I guess it's fun to own things you admire but never wear. I've been known to buy shoes that don't fit me simply because I like them even though my size is not available. I enjoy looking at them and admiring the design and craftsmanship. Recht can easily slip into the enjoy owning but never wear category.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Unsure to take this as positive or negative Q? Or perhaps both

The only thing that bothers me about this is the use of dolphin skin? Seems pretentious. On the other hand silk extracted from a spiders gland implanted in a goat sounds interesting. I wonder which piece this was used on?
        Where is the description for each piece? The materials are wonderful and Sruli seems to spend just as much time on the material as he does on the designs. This collection is by far the most creative and interesting of the season. I love it!
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• (((o
          • May 2009

On the other hand silk extracted from a spiders gland implanted in a goat sounds interesting. I wonder which piece this was used on?
          These two are made from spidersilk.

To my knowledge these are the only two pieces made from that fabric.

Spider-Silk Knit
          We held down a spider, strapped its legs to a board, and reeled out its silk, for our silk spun hoard.

Our knit originates from the silk gland of a spider, carefully placed in the milk duct of a goat. The single filament is reeled out of the goat millimetres at a time to produce the most difficult to obtain fibre in the world. Having secured 2 skeins of the silk, each many thousands of metres long, we spent 4 days unravelling it to prepare for knitting. A further week was spent gently coaxing two filaments into the knotted web of these garments... And then another week convincing it to become the emperor's new clothing.
          Weight for weight, silk is stronger than steel and tougher than Kevlar.
          i've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Comment

• theshametrain
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by acm100 View Post
            Does anyone know where you can purchase his stuff?
            i know that Darklands bought the SS12 collection.

Comment

• FOREVER
              • Sep 2011

WOOHOO. That is a great thing to hear. Can't wait to go to Berlin and try to fit in those. Fuck! Sruli Recht gets me excited!

Comment

• beardown
                rekoner
                • Feb 2009

I love the fact that designers are starting to get more technical and intense in terms of anatomic cuts and construction. Sure, it's not always appropriate for less formal situations but they really do start to become this feat of engineering, art and architecture combined in a way that most clothing will never be.

The spider silk pieces are amazing as well. From what I understand, that silk ends up being both soft but also very strong. I can see why the pieces are so limited.
                Originally posted by mizzar
                Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• gavagai
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Most (if not all) exotic (to us) materials Sruli uses are sourced either from a) population control practices or b) leftovers from the food industry. It's actually a sustainable and humble practice and has nothing to do with pretension. Puffins maybe exotic to us but they eat them in Iceland...
                  Using dolphin skin is just plain fucking stupid. There is just no excuse for this other than plain ignorance.

Dolphin meat is horrible and contains toxic levels of mercury. I'm not talking about high levels found in tuna but literally TOXIC levels. It is also considered a terrible meat. This is not a delicacy. Only the poorest of people would even eat this meat.

Regarding population control, that is absolutely preposterous. Only the Japanese even practice this as they don't want the dolphins eating "their" fish. Most the whole world has tried to put a stop to this practice by the Japanese. They literally round them up (trap them) and harpoon them. it is fucking sick.

I suppose some may make the argument that dolphins are no different than goats, horses, cows...Maybe they are right.

Comment

Dolphins also die as a result of fishing. They get caught in fishnets.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

This dolphin was found dead on the beach. Animals die. So, get off your fucking high horse, gavaji.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by (((o View Post
                        I really hope this scarf isn't $1000 or anything...it's beautiful and I want it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using dolphin skin obtained from the sources in this case, but I think it's dangerous territory because no doubt that information will not always be available and can easily be misinterpreted.

I also think the gun is stupid and pointless...but again, I don't have the backstory, so pure speculation.
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• (((o
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                          I also think the gun is stupid and pointless...but again, I don't have the backstory, so pure speculation.
                          Just out of curiosity, why do you find it stupid and pointless?

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Just out of curiosity, why do you find it stupid and pointless?
                            What's pointless about a gun in a clothing line?

edit - I'm happy to retract my comment is someone can tell me why there's a gun in the collection and if it serves some purpose...is it just the irony of his comment that many of the visitors to their studio/shop think they sell guns?
                            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• (((o
                              • May 2009

I just see it as something that works together with the feel of the collection. More like an accessory. But that's just me. Same thing with the knife, saddle etc.

Maybe he has a lot of hunters in his clientele?

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

I just see it as something that works together with the feel of the collection. More like an accessory. But that's just me. Same thing with the knife, saddle etc.

Maybe he has a lot of hunters in his clientele?
                                I wonder if the gun functions? I'm just not a supporter of firearms, but I guess that doesn't really apply to this situation...it still doesn't seem all that congruent with a clothing collection.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎