X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asdf123
    • Jan 2010

Any fans of Paul Valéry?
    I just heard his quote and want to pick up some of his writing.

Comment

• viv1984viv
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      It's a very fast read, Viv. Super short chapters, not dense at all, a lot of dialogue. The preacher's speech at the Church is spine-chilling. I wonder if it inspired the one in The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.
      Thanks very much faust, appreciated.
      Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
        • Jan 2008

I'm reading these two I found under the Christmas tree ...

Poems Of André Breton(2006)
        Translated And Edited By
        Jean-Pierre Cauvin and Mary Ann Caws

The Picture Of Dorian Gray
        An Annotated, Uncensored Edition(2011)

Edited By Nicholas Frankel

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• eleven crows
          • Mar 2011

don quixote, as translated by john rutherford. tough to pick a translation, but grossman lost out to the less directly, though more tonally faithful rutherford.

only a hundred or so pages in. hilarious so far.

Comment

• Johngd
            • Feb 2009

Never finished don Quijote. Think it was pretty boring, but maybe it was the translation. Atleast the book looks good in the livingroom

Comment

• eleven crows
              • Mar 2011

if you made it as far as when he lays waste to the funeral procession or plays alchemist to form his healing elixir with explosive results, i can't understand how you found it boring. maybe it was the translation...

Comment

• een
                • Sep 2006

Comment

• trentk
                  • Oct 2010

The Vital Materialist Nicene Creed, or "vibrant matter in 100 words or less":
                  Originally posted by Jane Bennett
                  I believe in one matter-energy, the maker of things seen and unseen. I believe that this pluriverse is traversed by heterogeneities that are continually doing things. I believe it is wrong to deny vitality to nonhuman bodies, forces, and forms, and that a careful course of anthropomorphization can help reveal that vitality, even though it resists full translation and exceeds my comprehensive grasp. I believe that encounters with lively matter can chasten my fantasies of human mastery, highlight the com*mon materiality of all that is, expose a wider distribution of agency, and reshape the self and its interests.
                  een - what do you think of bubbles? I was just browsing amazon and considering ordering it.
                  "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• een
                    • Sep 2006

These days reading Sloterdijk is a bit of an occupational hazard...
                    Only about a third of the way into it - a little surprised by it's relationship to Bachelard, but enjoying it so far. I am most interested in the third part, but await it's translation.
                    Last edited by een; 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM. Reason: usual caveats

Comment

• between
                      • Oct 2011

Comment

• kirie
                        • Dec 2011

My family just bought me a Kobo as a going away gift, and I've downloaded as many Public Domain books as I can get my hands on. I'm currently reading a collection of Baudelaire's poetry.

A question for other users with ereaders, however. Do you miss the smell and feel of a real book? I mean, I love mine, it's incredibly useful and awesome for travelling (no more 10 pounds of books in my luggage). But when I turn it on to read I can't help but feel like something is missing.

Comment

• kirie
                          • Dec 2011

^
                          that very much could be it! It's a very convenient format, but it's lacking the personal aspect of curling up actual book.

I do have a habit of buying second hand books that have been well loved and marked by others, which could be why my ereader switch has been so jarring.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by een View Post
                            indeed - could you tell me more about this? I sorta feel now is my chance to get in early before the other 2 volumes come out....

let me know
                            Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• trentk
                              • Oct 2010

Rilu, the term was used in jest. In the last paragraph of the book, Bennett summarized the material with a mock nicene creed.
                              Last edited by trentk; 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM.
                              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by trentk View Post

The Vital Materialist Nicene Creed, or "vibrant matter in 100 words or less":

een - what do you think of bubbles? I was just browsing amazon and considering ordering it.
                                I like this book a lot. Don't know how applicable the notion really is outside the politics of environmental sustainability, but I thought there was some very interesting thinking laid out in the piece.

Been reading this:

I think it's kind of awful, to be honest. Probably won't end up finishing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎