• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

London

We don't have a London thread? WTF?! Let's see some recommendations, dammit!!! Food, drink, culture, etc. I am here, goddammit.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • viv1984viv
    • Feb 2008

Loads of good galleries, -I never know where to go for good english or european food at reasonable price points though.

Here http://www.rules.co.uk/ looks nice though.
    Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• snafu
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      We don't have a London thread? WTF?! Let's see some recommendations, dammit!!! Food, drink, culture, etc. I am here, goddammit.

you are here ? your in london or going ?

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

Food wise, my favourites:

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon
        Just stunning food, not cheap, but then it shouldn't be. You can get a cheaper pre-theatre menu I think, also has a nice bar on the top floor for after dinner drinks by the fireplace. Best spot in London for me by a mile.

St. John's Bread & Wine
        For proper English food, to be found in Spitalfields and Smithfields and probably somewhere else. Simple and delicious.

Great Eastern Dining Rooms
        A guilty pleasure, I have been going there for 10 years and it's still a place I love, although I always order the same thing. Don't pass on the Chili Salt Squid for a starter or the Mochi for dessert.

Jin Kichi
        Best Japanese by a mile, tucked away in Hampstead and small and always packed. Book a table if you want to eat there. Not your usual London sushi/sashimi fare, this is extremely unpretentious and just amazing.

To be continued...
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

For anything cultural and current, check out a friend's site.

Usually pretty spot on.

Edit: How fitting then that Julien hasn't updated this in more than a month... what's going on?
          Last edited by mrbeuys; 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM.
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• snafu
            • Apr 2008

jin kichi is really nice, i wouldn't go but my gf happens to live close.

st johns is great interesting to have a meal there; better to get early before they run out of certain things.

Birtish food wise maybe check out The Gun its a pub, but great food a nice view looking out over the river at the 02 centre.
            The albion is also pretty good also and not too bad priced, in Shoreditch/East

Down brick lane on a sunday might not be your thing... too busy and crowded but you will certainly see i guess the younger side of london, some markets, vintage shops etc etc but i mean its always worth a look, personally i like a pizza place down there for a light lunch: Story Deli, low cost and fresh
            its not far from liverpool street if you need to escape from the area.

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Best spots to enjoy the sights of London:

Hampstead Heath
              My new neck of the woods, Kite Hill gives you stunning views across London (E, come tomorrow, it will be a sunny day)
              Go to Kenwood House for a vision of what Heaven might look like, fake bridge included.

Avoid Soho like the plague
              But that's just me, and does not apply if you are going to L'Atelier (see above)

Brick Lane
              Can still be good and surprising (see Snaf's post above)

Shoreditch
              My home for many years, it's changed beyond recognition, but it's still the most vibrant place for me, especially once you pack your gun and venture further East towards Hackney or North towards Dalston.
              Don't go on a Friday or Saturday would be my recommendation.

Comment

• snafu
                • Apr 2008

Hampstead is beautiful i have to agree, i'm lucky i have a flat in east so i get the best of both sides of the city.

Hampstead is like a little village away from london, the heath in the summer is great, il be honest i haven't been in the winter so it might be aswell.

East/Shoreditch is good and as Beuys said Dalston is the less obvious side of the scene. Hoxton still has some spots that you can have a good night out in and grab some ok food; personally i love the vietnamese places on Kingsland Road, i go a few times a week.
                Brick Lane on a sunday is good espcially in summer as long as you know what to expect.
                Hackney is good as long as you know where your going, iv never been out there unless i have it planned ahead.

Soho/central is ok for food but after i have eaten im always a bit lost as where to go, the soho hotel is tucked away and can be a nice place for a quiet drink and chat.

Camden is pretty horrible IMO.

Then there is always markets all over the city if you want to check them out.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                  • Sep 2006

For food, Indian, obviously. My American and Japanese friends always seem pretty excited by the vegetarian South Indian food in London. But perhaps that's available in New York now. I recommend Kastoori in Tooting but if you're to pussy to go South of the river then there are good places on Drummond Street behind Euston station.

If you've already done Hampstead, Richmond park is an equally beautiful old royal hunting ground for a long afternoon. Full of deer. If you get the train from Waterloo to Norbiton you can walk through the park, along the regency promenade with it's beautiful views over the curling Thames, and into Richmond village (where there is a branch of Matches btw). Then get the train back to Waterloo. A beautiful winter walk and the variety would give you some real insight into the strange mental landscape of this huge old rambling city.

In fact you could carry on into the evening in Waterloo: drinks or dinner at the Anchor&Hope, a very nice place a bit like St John. And you could follow it with a film at the BFI cinema. They're currently showing an Ozu season. He is the greatest of all cinema directors in my opinion so if you don't already know his work please introduce yourself while you are here.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                    • May 2008

This might sound fairly obvious but the V&A is always worth a visit.
                    If you are going now, don't bother looking at decode, it's not as good as it should and could be but rather immerse yourself in the permanent collection.
                    Another nice lunch or tea place on a sunny day is the restaurant at the 7th floor of Tate Modern. During the week it's slightly less touristy but you should always book and ask for a table on the north side overlooking St Paul.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                      This might sound fairly obvious but the V&A is always worth a visit.
                      The new religious art galleries are beautiful.

Comment

• Rene2509
                        • Jun 2008

Hey!
                        I hope Im right in that Thread.

Im from July to August in London and Im looking for nice Art Exhibitions and Theater Shows and so on.

Can someone help me with some nice idea's please?

Comment

• samueljoseph8809
                          • Jan 2010

For some great summertime drinks and food

The Albion roof terrace bar on Boundary Street in Shoreditch

Lounge Lover for cocktails on Redchurch Street in Shoreditch, and its sister restaurant Les Trois Garcon for amazing food, its on the opposite street.

Theres a great Grace Jones exhibition on at the Vinyl rooms.

Also sit and have tea in Russel Square when the suns out amazing, and there also a really interesting exhibition on at the British Library about ancient maps, if thats your thing

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

many eons ago, when i was a kid living on my own in london, i rented a bedsit in earls court. it was so small, i could lean my back against the wall and place my feet across the other side, no problem...

i remembered a lot of hookers in the neighborhood. some giving blowjobs in the alleyways or the back of pubs...

the landlord was this creepy east indian guy with a glass eye named sam (nothing like our beloved ledger). he was so cheap, our shared bathrooms had this 1-ply toilet paper. it was just like baking parchment, you'd cut yourself wiping..

i think my rent was £235/month..

good times.

oh, and i highly recommend le gavroche for old school french. i worked there for a brief time and the food they put out was just amazing. not sure if they still have 2 michelins..

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

I second the rootop at boundary. Service is sloppy and food is the very definition of unpretentious but the atmosphere and views are real nice.
                              the other night I needed a local late night food place that wasn't kebabs and found it in the Hoxton grill. Good enough to take my clients to. Stayed in the hotel as well and it's pretty good if you like 'funky' hotels.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎