X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: style inspirationz.

[quote user="matthewhk"] They have created a world of their own thatdoesn't particularly owe anything to the past nor resembled what was present (at various moments) [/quote]

I am arguing the exact opposite but with one caveat; their movies are constructed as if they were operating in world where your statement is true.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]but Fuuma, isn't that point precisely what makes Lucas and Spielberg genius from the viewpoint of a commercial director? They have created a world of their own thatdoesn't particularly owe anything to the past nor resembled what was present (at various moments)and based on box office success and accolades clearly this 'innocent spectator that does not exist' theory doesn't ring true for a lot of people. I wouldn't call them the greatest direcors of all time, but at a certain point in time they were doing something original, and at the very least their works are accessible if nothing else.[/quote]

In that case they should either stick with the worlds that don't reference history (think Jaws), or structure the film in the way that makes obvious to the average viewer (the innocent one, in Fuuma's words) that the director claims neither seriousness nor historical accuracy (think 300).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

I watch maybe one movie every 1-2 years, so my views are fairly apathetic. But, that being said, Spielberg should be shot in the face for the ending of A.I. Having been dragged to the theater to watch that, it was all I could do to not scream "FUCK, JUST MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP" and set fire to the place.

After that, I don't care.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[quote user="philip nod"]this is an interesting viewpoint, the infantalizing of the viewer, but star wars was a kurosawa hidden fortress rip, and i'm sure there are many other inspirations form previous films. tarantino can appeal to art house name checking sensibility which gets really old really fast, but doesn't it stand to reason that their massive success is built upon their knowledge of film history and Lucas' ability to pull a film like SW out of the ether.
          [/quote]

Indeed, but that is precisely why their position is an untenable one from the point of view of intellectual honesty; they aren?t outsider artists and know their cinematic history, they just fail to acknowledge their borrowing in their work and go as far as making viewers complicit, asking them to fake an innocence they surely don?t possess, which is the only way their movies can work, although, to me, the whole thing reeks of a dysfunctional relationship.

[/quote]

i see what you're sayin'

but can one expect artist to have an intellectual honesty, or can one expect them to at least do their best to shield it from "critical honesty"?

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="theetruscan"]

I watch maybe one movie every 1-2 years, so my views are fairly apathetic. But, that being said, Spielberg should be shot in the face for the ending of A.I. Having been dragged to the theater to watch that, it was all I could do to not scream "FUCK, JUST MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP" and set fire to the place.

After that, I don't care.

[/quote]

Hahaha, I had the same reaction. Only, having watch it at home, I had the luxury of turning it off.

I gotta say, Munich is my guilty pleasure though. Although, I would like to know what the Israelis think of it. I wonder if I am the "innocent viewer" in that case.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

In all fairness, Spielberg and Lucas both began their careers with the best intentions, especially the latter. The student film version of THX1138 is mind-blowing (or at least was at the time I saw it) and I still love the theatrical version. Likewise, Spielberg began with Duel, which was a straight suspense chase movie. Both were genre fans much like Tarantino who is an example of "intellectual honesty" at its cheapest.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• random
                • Dec 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="matthewhk"]i can see where random is coming from. maybe it wasn't a fully appropriate choice of inspiraton, but i am guessing he finds that image poetic and poignant.[/quote]

Well, being a Russian Jew, I naturally find this image disturbing, so I want to know what in this image inspires random. I don't see anything poetic in this image, nor in the whole idiotic film.

[/quote]

Faust (and others in the same position): I am sorry that picture disturbed you. didnt mean to hurt ppl's feelings and that was whatI worried about when posting it. I personally tend to like arts(or things)that show sad mood or deep depression(for a moment lets notdiscuss if this movie isgreat or not here and my answer will be no if overally speaking) .In fact,I firstly sawa few images from it (the postedpicture was one of them) before watching it which shocked me when i was still a lit child andthey havebeenkept in my headsince then. The color composition was one of the things thatimpressed mea lot, and there are a lot of other things which I dont know how to explain explicitly. I hope to see myselfdressed in a way that shows a depressed, down, wasted, sad or desperatemood and yet being poetic/elegant, rather than just brutally sad. I havent been able to do so tho...Dont know how to achieve that and guess at least i shouldwait to be more sophisticated later. Thats why I like yohji's pieces a lot, especially when they are being worn by a very sophisticated old man.

Again im sorry i didnt mean to hurt ppl's feelings.My family havesome very close friends who arefrom Israeland i almost converted to Judaism. I actuallydiscussed this movie with some ofthem and so i can see how your feeling. You canremove the quoted pix if you like and I will delete it in my post.

I don't exist.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Random, you did not hurt my feelings at all. I knew that you did not mean harm by it, but I was just wondering how it relates to high you dress (that's what style inspiration means), and I just couldn't place it without it being a bit offensive (I wondered, is it the ghetto coat you want, or a Nazi uniform?). However, you make it clear that it affects you (or somehow inspires you) in the general sense - I can understand that.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• random
                    • Dec 2007

yea, i see its too abstract. imo style inspiration doesnt have to be fromany specific fits or worn pieces butgenerallyanythingindicating sththat one wants to achieve.

EDIT: vadlhad itexpressed betterthan i did

I don't exist.

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                      • Aug 2007

i don't think it necessarily has to literally inspire how you dress (ie. me with axl rose i dont really like how he dresses i just like him because he's a huge asshole)...style is a little too abstract to have it just relate to clothing. so in this sense the idea that the little girl in the red coat embodies makes perfect sense in relation to style inspiration for as simple of a reason as 'she stands out from everybody else.' maybe like the plastic bag in American Beauty would have been less controversial or something but yeah

Comment

• Aug 2007

err random beat me to it by a hair.

Comment

• random
                          • Dec 2007

you made it more clear and specific and that cost you a few more seconds.
                          I don't exist.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

replace Schindler photo with Sin City photo:

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Aug 2007

i love this line from basketball diaries too. totally ballin:

You gotta have presence on the court. Presence like a cheetah rather
                              than a chimp. Sure, they both got it, but Chimpy gotta jump his nuts
                              around to get it. The shy cheetah moves with total nonchalance,
                              stickin' it to them in his sexy, slow strut. Me? I play like a cheetah.

Comment

• random
                                • Dec 2007

[73] thats a good idea albert. maybe i could evenadjust the contrast and saturation.
                                I don't exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎