• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael_kard
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Fixed.
    Calling Le Corbusier's highly experimental work ugly is like calling CCP ugly - doesn't really apply.
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ Of course, I was just messing with him. But a lot of it is pretty fucking ugly, I must say. Of course, maybe you'd love to live in Brasilia, but I don't, and I love my Marais just the way it is, thank you very much.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

Although my knowledge on architecture is very limited, I'd say that he was one of the first architects to experiment with concrete, while also trying to create buildings with a social reform in mind - this has resulted in some really groundbreaking shapes and ideas about housing, which were later perfected by many less iconic architects. And I love exposed concrete...
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• nekroterrorist
          • Jan 2011

Now reading: The Philosopher and The Wolf - Mark Rowlands

Last edited by nekroterrorist; 02-21-2011, 03:41 AM. Reason: stupidity

Comment

• Mail-Moth
            • Mar 2009

Adalbert Stifter's Tourmaline - again. I love Stifter's ambivalence - the way he seems torn between some ideal human community, built on education and moral responsability, and his strong fascination for nature in its most non-human aspect. This young woman trying to tame a wild child in Tourmaline is this exactly - destroying with all her good will the unbearable - and thus captivating - savage part in the bird-girl in her care.
            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Atom
              • Sep 2009

Cool story Diffusion line. Then again, probably not.

Originally posted by CDG Diffusion Line View Post
              cool story bro.

this alone tells me you know nothing about the buraiha and probably picked the book up because it's depressing and Japanese.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

just read Susan Sontag's On Photography. The writing when read now feels either obvious or obsolete, and there is something annoyingly authoritative about the tone I feel. It's the only Sontag I've ever read; definitely hasn't aged well.
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Picked up Brothers Karamazov again. One day I'll finish it.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                    • Nov 2007

^ if you only read one novel in your lifetime it should be this one and if you read a second it should be this over again. i read it in english translation and then sat with my grandmother for nearly an entire day and had her read me all the pivotal sections in russian.
                    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

That's awesome :-) Yea, I passed the 500 page hump - only 350 more to go. Amazing book, what can I say.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johngd
                        • Feb 2009

I know Brothers Karamazov are considered to be a masterpiece but I must have missed something. I agree its a great book, but not his best. Have to read it again I guess My favourite Dostojevsky book is The idiot and some of his shorter novels tbh

Comment

• MJRH
                          • Nov 2006

^ The Brothers Karamazov is my favourite of D.'s works, unless I'm feeling bitter, in which case it's Notes from Underground.

Originally posted by Bruno Schulz
                          I am simply calling it The Book without any epithets or qualifications, and in this sobriety there is a shade of helplessness, a silent capitulation before the vastness of the transcendental, for no word, no allusion, can adequately suggest the shiver of fear, the presentiment of a thing without name that exceeds all our capacity for wonder. How could an accumulation of adjectives or a richness of epithets help when one is faced with that splendiferous thing? Besides, any true reader—and this story is only addressed to him—will understand me anyway when I look him straight in the eye and try to communicate my meaning. A short sharp look or a light clasp of his hand will stir him into awareness, and he will blink in rapture at the brilliance of The Book. For, under the imaginary table that separates me from my readers, don't we secretly clasp each other's hands?
                          Already mentioned several times here, I believe. Deserves mentioning again. My second time with Mr. Schulz, and every bit as amazing as the first
                          ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Catfood
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                            just read Susan Sontag's On Photography. The writing when read now feels either obvious or obsolete, and there is something annoyingly authoritative about the tone I feel. It's the only Sontag I've ever read; definitely hasn't aged well.
                            I don't think it feels so dated. It's still a good introductory book. A while since I read it so could be I'd agree if I revisited it of course.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              That's awesome :-) Yea, I passed the 500 page hump - only 350 more to go. Amazing book, what can I say.
                              Faust - it's pretty much my favourite book, wonderful book. I was dwelling on the themes and questions for 6 months or so after finishing it. It's massive, I remember reading Umberto Eco, B.B Ellis etc afterwards and feeling that these books felt like adverts in comparison to the epic film of BK, not comparing books to films, just saying many other books feel lightweight and inconsequential in contrast to BK.

Check out the Hurbert Dreyfus lectures on iTunesU, his existentialism module delves into BK a little, his focus on particular characters is really interesting.

Demons is greatly underrated, essentially flawed in many aspects but is more interesting and raises more questions for it.

I'm currently reading Bartleby & Co by Enrique Vila-Matas, unsure of it so far to be frank. Also read Will Selfs latest book, his trio of walking memoirs - Walking to Hollywood, utterly sublime.
                              Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I'll check them out, thank you. Yeah, the conversation between Ivan and Alyosha about religion is worth the book alone. Not to mention all the Russian-style melodrama. God, we are (in)sensitive.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎