X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

as I said in a previous post, my judgement on skirts on men is reserved till I see it irl. these static pics just don't tell the whole story. just a thought however, wearing a skirt to a dive or sports bar seems as appropriate as wearing a tux to the same bar and watchin football & eatin wings. this is NOT a gender questioning thing. no matter how ya slice it,skirts are not jeans and IMO their wearability is limited. maybe it's just my advanced age that is forming my close mindedness. I mean ya could wear a tux but why would ya?

I know some will say that if you are comfortable with what you are wearing, and yourself, you can wear anything anywhere but I don't subscribe to that school. Yes you should always be yourself but IMO clothes should be worn in context and disregarding this only begs for attention for attentions sake. I only bring this up cuz when shucks says he just got back from havin beers, I get the image of some bros knocking back some suds @ their local pub. I don't envision skirts on guys. Of course shucks could have been drinkin in place where people actually wear tuxedos.

I appreciate taking risks & "workin a drobe' but stuff needs to have some kinda contextual meaning for me.

I'm sure I won't be wearing a skirt anywhere but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate them on someone else,in the right environment.

just my thoughts and NO HATE intended. I'm sure many will strongly disagree

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

^^ endorphinz: I disagree.

I had an occasion where I went to a sports bar with a couple of mates to watch the Rugby World Cup. It was very crowded and we were propped up at the main bar, my friends ordered beer and I ordered a cup of tea (with a teapot and all) edit: and people took the piss. Apparently this is unacceptable then? By the above logic, you are saying that I should have ordered a beer, drank beer, because everyone else drank beer, and drinking beer while watching sports is acceptable/manly. But I simply don't like the taste of alcohol; why should I need to order a beer just to fit in these contextual 'requirements'? I'm not trying to be all 'fuck the system' by ordering tea, there are indeed societal requirements that people should adhere to, but wearing a skirt just isn't one of them.

Wearing a skirt in a bar does not offend or provoke anybody, so in my books it's fair game. I was at an English bar watching an England vs. France game and a bunch of French rocked up with flags and all. Now is a dude wearing a skirt offensive, or that? As long as things aren't offensive or provocative to people, I'm good with it.
      Last edited by kuugaia; 01-15-2012, 11:09 AM. Reason: and people took the piss.

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

@shucks:
        *yeah the bear thing was pretty funny

@ kuugaia
        I doubt you would find many sports bars in the us that would serve you tea in a kettle today (NFL playoffs) but I understand what you are saying. still, I don't think the analogy is quite right. anyway that's what makes the world go round. different strokes.....

btw: I NEVER said that skirts were offensive because they aren't

Comment

• Johnny
          • Sep 2006

but getting a cup of tea in a bar when there's a big rugby match on is weird, no? so is a bloke wearing a floor length black skirt. not sure why that is even being debated. if i understand that story about the tea correctly, no one did take the piss. so something else must be making you think it's a story worth telling. and it's you telling the story, which makes you sound a bit proud about having tea.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking context into account when wearing clothes. there's an air of superiority about those who ridicule that idea. not everyone needs to see what they wear as a conduit for their rulebreaking.

Comment

• kuugaia
            • Feb 2010

edit: Actually people did take the piss? I thought that was a given, as there's no point to tell the story if people didn't? Shall edit that in then.

endorphinz: You are saying that people shouldn't wear clothes that don't fit into the correct contextual background, i.e. men should not wear skirts in a bar. And my point is, that by your logic: people should not drink tea in a bar either because tea is not commonly accepted in that contextual background. That's the analogy I'm making.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you think its 'offensive'. I simply meant that there are society rules/norms that should be adhered to, I agree, but those that can be broken are those that are not 'offensive' to any crowd. To me, wearing a skirt in a bar is whatever - if you're there to enjoy the match then cool. But wearing a drop-crotch pant to somebody's conventional black tie wedding is not.
            Last edited by kuugaia; 01-15-2012, 11:13 AM. Reason: edit.

Comment

• endorphinz
              Banned
              • Jun 2009

I'm on my phone and can't type/ express myself fully. suffice it to say that it is not a gender issue and minimally a social value one. my analogy to wearing a tuxedo sums up my feelings pretty well . I'm off to watch the playoffs with friends. I'm wearing tails of course and hoping for some caviar to pick on.

Comment

• thomcat
                • May 2009

received a great parcel yesterday of something i have wanted for a few years. not that its rare or anything but im very happy with the n(n) cardigan!

Comment

• kuugaia
                  • Feb 2010

^ Sick cardigan dude. Congrats.

Originally posted by rilu
                  Well, I don't see what's wrong about the first feminists thinking of their values (that were also reflected in their style) as important and (of course!) contrary to the patriarchal ones. That doesn't mean a woman wearing pants thought of herself necessarily superior to those who wore skirts, but she might have thought the idea that it's OK for women to wear both pants and skirts is "superior" to (= legitimate) the idea that women should wear only skirts.
                  ^ I think this is the stem of the problem - but bare with me as I am evidently horrible at explaining myself. I think what Johnny is saying is the natural and normal reaction that people will have to these kind of situations through experience; so in that sense I completely agree with him. There is indeed an 'air' of superiority about those that break the norm, because most of the time they really are trying to make a statement. But I suppose what I'm thinking is that those who wear black skirts may not be thinking of making any statement, or thinking they are superior. They might be just doing what they want, because they don't think what they do really has an affect on others. Eg. Shucks wearing a black skirt just because he likes it, not so that he can gloat in a bar. I can't speak on his behalf but at least for me, I ordered tea because I hate beer. But whatever the 'truth' of the matter may be, it still doesn't remove this 'air of superiority'.

I'd feel the same way if I saw a dude walk in a bar with red stilettos on. Wouldn't have an issue with it, but I'd certainly think he was 'begging for attention' or making a statement regardless of what the truth of the matter was. I'm a self-contradicting mother fucker.
                  Last edited by kuugaia; 01-15-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• nictan
                    • Jul 2009

Paris

Comment

• docus
                      • Dec 2010

Very nice Nictan - even the statue in the background is looking on approvingly. What is the jacket?

Comment

• killah
                        • Jun 2009

aussy the texture on that cdg jacket looks great!

rolled up maude/sistersuzie knit. its really comfy
                        yohji shorts
                        all black nike lunarglide +3’s

was hot as shit in socal the other day

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

The problem with your analogy is you're misconstruing gender appropriateness with formality. Though you say it's not about gender, the only logical reason this would be inappropriate in a sports bar is because of the gender inappropriateness, not formality inappropriateness like your tux example. This is quite an informal skirt, no? So the tux analogy doesn't quite work. Now if he was wearing a ball gown you might have a point.

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                          I'm on my phone and can't type/ express myself fully. suffice it to say that it is not a gender issue and minimally a social value one. my analogy to wearing a tuxedo sums up my feelings pretty well . I'm off to watch the playoffs with friends. I'm wearing tails of course and hoping for some caviar to pick on.
                          music

Comment

• so many facepalms in here my face is red and swollen, i'll have to blame the stairs tomorrow.

Comment

• pseudonym
                              • Jun 2009

Glad to see a few fits on this page, and good ones, after a full page of none. Thomcat, that n(n) is something to be excited about for sure, and it looks great.

Freezing in NYC today.
                              Warmest of everything.

CDGH+, YYPH, Ann, A1923, vintage scarf.

Comment

• took my boots for a spin tonight
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎