Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theaddict
    • Apr 2008

No hard feelings D I also moved on and wasn't speaking about fark, but in general (except if I refered explicitly to him...) I am with you here....

And who said that SZ is an easy playground? History keeps repeating itself, but in the case of SZ it helps to keep this place different from other online fori.
    Man, I wished I could write like mbd...

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
    Okay, for all those who didn't, i moved on long ago from Fark-bashing. My post yesterday was addressed to Fark, then i talked in general. So these aren't the Fark wars at all. And who says style means you look the same every day? This is a ridiculous statement which might imply that if you buy only one designer you like you look the same every day. Try to explain that to Rick. You can have style in suits or jogging pants if you can rock it. But there has to be some kind of authenticity to style, whereas a lot of this has become more about the zeitgeist, just buy what is hot at the moment.
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
      Man, I wished I could write like mbd...
      Be careful what you wish for.
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Raw
        • Oct 2009

Wasn't ready when the shot was taken but I kinda liked it when I saw the pic after uploading it.

Comment

• Jonn
          • Mar 2008

man i dunno. boots look cowboy-ish from that angle and short shorts its weird in a not very nice way. maybe some cropped pants??

Comment

• Raw
            • Oct 2009

Yeah I guess the boots do look a bit weird from the above angle. I just wanted to see how the shorts would look with boots, but I'll mostly be wearing low sneakers with them for summer here.

Comment

• move_ment
              • Feb 2009

the boots and short combo is hard to pull off in general, but the shape, height and general proportions (you must be sick of hearing that word) are all off. I think the main problem is that those Julius don't lend well to that combination. see example below for what I would call a passable attempt – the looser shaft and more relaxed proportions would look more appropriate and because you've got built calves it would distribute volume more seamlessly over your frame:

alternatively just wear low sneakers as you mentioned and be done with it.

edit* mbd you have a way with words, but I'm not sure he deserves that much attention? save it for more important stuff.

Comment

• beardown
                rekoner
                • Feb 2009

Like any social circle (online or otherwise) there's a hierarchy and a pecking order. New people come in, they're either welcomed with an almost unusual amount of praise (MBD...I didn't say it wasn't unwarranted, only that it was unusual) or given the business (Fark) but people settle into pretty specific roles over time.

I don't base my opinions about members on what they post in WAYWT. Those tend to form based on the discussions that take place in the more substantial parts of the forum. We know those who only post what they've bought this week or when they shoot photos of themselves and we know who who would rather discuss buying than appreciating; model and stock numbers over nuance, form and style.
                That's not to say I don't enjoy WAWYT...but it's more of the dessert to the actual meal in other parts of the forum.

If it's a witch hunt you want, it's honestly no secret who has a 'real' passion for this stuff on here. It's literally a matter of history within the SZ bowels and in the threads where all of this comes to life. Not in front of the bedroom mirror or the changing rooms...but the threads where members are discussing the designers they have a passion for and the garments they create from season to season.

The true quality and value of this forum is found beneath the layers...not necessarily in the images posted daily but the ideas exchanged. I'm not trying to get too deep; on the contrary, I'm just pointing out what I thought was blatantly obvious:

You can't fake it on here. If you're using images of yourself in an effort to prove your love for style or to stake some kind of claim for legitimacy or to mount a campaign for acceptance, you're going to ultimately fail. It probably does work on lesser forums that way.
                But I'd rather read 100 posts from someone who is obsessed with the idea of style and aesthetic and design than to view a single photo of someone who appears to be playing dress up.
                It's disheartening to go into those threads that are really the heart and soul of SZ only to find a graveyard of deleted posts where the best that some members can do is muster up 'where 2 kop' questions about buying.

This is 2011.
                You can 'buy' just about anything you want if you have the means but you can't buy knowledge. And I still don't think you can buy personal style. That's still something you have to earn the old fashioned way and that takes time, passion and dedication. That's what separates the hierarchy in my eyes, way more than any WAYWT post ever could.

ps: I think even the classifieds thread is more important than WAYWT. At least when people are motivated to sell something, they're forced to discuss and take notice of some of the aspects of construction and material and fit of garments rather just pull them on and shoot a photo.
                Originally posted by mizzar
                Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Chant
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                  While you have the objects at which this passion is directed, your mistake is that you have not yet demonstrated a curiosity of all that which made what you enjoy possible: that is, an understanding and appreciation of the historical arc of the ideas embodied in these pieces of wearable art -- the conditions, the people, the history of the present moment that make possible your -- seemingly superficial -- reverie, no matter how sincere you thought you believed yourself to be.
                  Really ?

Originally posted by Fark
                  Ah! I was sure to get myself confronted with this question.

I see his clothing as a challenge; restrictive clothing that challenges the persona to wear it with natural ease. There is a certain macabre/grotesqueness about his clothings that I find admirable. Things like dyeing in ox blood and using buried leather, taking rawhide and pieceing them together and then object dyeing them gives the wearer a certain mummified second skin while his other pieces certainly seem to come alive like the box pants and parachute parka which I compare to a certain 'Hantu' or ghost we have which goes around with it's head and half it's torso whilst it's internal organs are dangling by it. His perforated designs and taped pieces question the wearibility of the garment whilst chainseam and paper items are subject to durability problems, but I adore deconstructionism and decomposition which is naturally a part of life; You are born into this world > Adolescence > Adulthood > Golden years > Death. If you really research on his pieces every season, you'd see that there is a certain progression that goes into the items, an idea from one piece might be applied to a piece the next season whilst staple item continually grows with different textures, modifications, etc. But, never to the extent that it completely changes the look of an item, its an evolving process and I like it. The thought that he puts into his clothing is crazy, I didn't understand it before but, it's starting to make sense to me now, which is why I've suddenly become interested in his garments. I'd like to say "Dia sudah melampaui batasan penjahitan" or 'He has exceeded the boundaries of tailoring'. The more I read of him, the more respect I have for the guy, and I'm willing to sell my soul to the devil that is Poell.

Comment

• thedevilisinthedetails
                    • Nov 2008

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                      • Mar 2009

I started writing some long winded reply untill my crackberry went all wonky! (Not easy typing when on a querty key board with sausage fingers).I shall get straight to the point with the second attempt. I think that when some one makes a comment about fark, others automatically become george big gahones and jump on the bashing bus! For me that's fucking bollocks. This for me is more a sign of seeking validation from others than what you claim fark is doing. I think it comes down to one thing. Jealousy. If any one here had funds to purchase these garments loke he has, you bloody well would. So let's cut the bullshit! Because u save for months on end does not mean u have a deeper understanding or appreciate things more than those that don't have to save. The kid does not flit from one designer to another like many older members and "respected" members here. I don't care, I shall name names, christian flits to and fro and for me the biggest culprit of buying "what's hot right now and bandwagoneering is mike nouveau. No offence fellas but that's my view. In farks case , he likes dick, and some grandma and whole heartedly supports adelines work, which is admirable. Support the young designers is what so many preach but not practice. Every one starts somewhere, not one person here was pushed out out of their mothers baby tunnel with a developed sense of style and aesthetic. Many talk as if they are connosieurs of pattern making, cut and fabrication, where in reality you haven't the foggiest. It just fucks me off when people become too self righteous and overly precious about some designers. For me there is no wrong or right. Personal style is exactly what it says on the tin, PERSONAL! As the kid has stated many a time, he is comfortable in what he wears. For me that is the most important thing. You dress for yourself, not for others. I'm out spoken in real life not just behind a keyboard. So I expect a huge backlash now, but fuggit! I think I have stated some things here that many think but do not post. Love , Peace and chicken grease x
                      Last edited by SHYE_POSER; 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM.
                      merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                        Importantly, demonstrate your enthusiasm, "geist," and ardor through action: by studying, understanding, and by learning through doing. Examine closely the stuff you're buying. Talk to the SAs. Participate in the threads here -- there's so much information here.

This is exactly what he already does, no? Owning and wearing garments is one of the best ways to learn about them.
                        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• ES3K
                          • Oct 2008

YSL Rive Gauche from around 97, 98 or so. Maybe Hedi era, I'm not sure, hard to find collection pictures from that time. Wasn't aware of fashion too much back then anyway, just loved this frock suit when I saw it in the store -- and still love it.

Comment

• jogu
                            • Jun 2009

^ dude , i like alot . amazin silhouette and even tho the trousers are real wide leg the lines are super sharp

Comment

• Eye
                              • Jan 2010

closeups
                              face
                              back
                              luc luc julius drk ma+
                              Will soon complete this with some pants and guidi boots!
                              WTB : Incarnation leather jkt szXL / Augusta green ankle boots sz42

Comment

• orphée
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by beardown View Post

ps: I think even the classifieds thread is more important than WAYWT. At least when people are motivated to sell something, they're forced to discuss and take notice of some of the aspects of construction and material and fit of garments rather just pull them on and shoot a photo.
                                This rings so true.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎