• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

Danielewski's House of Leaves contains pages like this

and this

I don't recommend it, but Jonothan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly close - with blank pages and pages covered in ink - may work:
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Magic1
      • Jan 2011

working my way through Marcuse's One-Dimensional Man. Struggling my way through.

Advice on any pre-requisite readings? the only relevant material i've read is the communist manifesto.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Well, you'd have to be pretty versed in Marxist thought to read Marcuse, but I suppose The Communist Manifesto is a start. The Alienated Labor by Marx is a must since Marcuse touches on that quite a bit.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Magic1
          • Jan 2011

alright, thanks Faust! Will get to the Alienated Labor right now.

I'm relatively new to marx and happened upon http://www.marxists.org/

it's quite an archive...not sure if this is common knowledge or not so I apologize if it is, but the amount of material available is...impressive.

Comment

• elephantstone
            • Jan 2011

Been reading Saramago non-stop lately,

Just finished the Cave, a good read though can't compared with the brilliance of Blindness. Starting the Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis now

got my import Jose and Pilar DVD too....Such a lovely documentary, every Saramago fan should watch it.......Now that I come to think of it, even the shitty Undefeated got an Oscar nomination while Jose and Pilar was completely ignored......

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Well, you'd have to be pretty versed in Marxist thought to read Marcuse, but I suppose The Communist Manifesto is a start. The Alienated Labor by Marx is a must since Marcuse touches on that quite a bit.
              Amusingly enough I am reading Eros and civilization right now.

To understand Marcuse you need to understand Marxist thinking and Freudian writings (especially civilization and its discontents) as he sorta crashes the two together, leaving the Marxist side more Hegelian (so read Hegel, if you can or say a few essays) than pure Marxist and the Freudian side more social than personal (so late Freud).

You can also look at the Frankfurt school as he was part of that movement and builds or spins on some of their concepts (so Adorno, Horkheimer, Benjamin, Fromm).

In the end Marcuse shouldn't pose too much problem because most have been exposed to fragments of his thinming that have made their way in popular culture and he writes in a very straightfoward way and takes great pain to refer to the concepts or authors he is borrowing from.
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Magic1
                • Jan 2011

I've heard good things about Eros and Civilization too, let us know what you think when you finish it.

I've read some hegel, but not much. I think I try to keep it that way. I've read Civilization and Its Discontents--it's good. Haven't read other freud though. Hopefully that's enough for marcuse's one-dimensional man. I realized I should know more marx though (not just for marcuse, but for my general edification), so I'm reading Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts before goign back to marcuse. Read Estranged Labor, per Faust's recommendation, and it was very good, certainly a prerequisite to marcuse.

I haven't read anything from the Frankfurt school, but maybe after marcuse I'll check out the Dialectic of Enlightenment, as I hear that's a good place to get much of the theses of the school. any recommendations as to which translation to read would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                Amusingly enough I am reading Eros and civilization right now.

To understand Marcuse you need to understand Marxist thinking and Freudian writings (especially civilization and its discontents) as he sorta crashes the two together, leaving the Marxist side more Hegelian (so read Hegel, if you can or say a few essays) than pure Marxist and the Freudian side more social than personal (so late Freud).

You can also look at the Frankfurt school as he was part of that movement and builds or spins on some of their concepts (so Adorno, Horkheimer, Benjamin, Fromm).

In the end Marcuse shouldn't pose too much problem because most have been exposed to fragments of his thinming that have made their way in popular culture and he writes in a very straightfoward way and takes great pain to refer to the concepts or authors he is borrowing from.

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
                  I've heard good things about Eros and Civilization too, let us know what you think when you finish it.

I've read some hegel, but not much. I think I try to keep it that way. I've read Civilization and Its Discontents--it's good. Haven't read other freud though. Hopefully that's enough for marcuse's one-dimensional man. I realized I should know more marx though (not just for marcuse, but for my general edification), so I'm reading Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts before goign back to marcuse. Read Estranged Labor, per Faust's recommendation, and it was very good, certainly a prerequisite to marcuse.

I haven't read anything from the Frankfurt school, but maybe after marcuse I'll check out the Dialectic of Enlightenment, as I hear that's a good place to get much of the theses of the school. any recommendations as to which translation to read would be much appreciated.
                  very strange, you talk about these books as if they were restaurants
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Magic1
                    • Jan 2011

eh, you're right, huh.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                      very strange, you talk about these books as if they were restaurants
                      Well the Marcuse book is sorely lacking in sex and pictures right now but I like how he loops philosophy from Aristotle to Hegel and says the rest is not that important, aside from say Nietzsche. I still much prefer Freud as you can sense the underlying kinkyness, old dude just wanna get down.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• cc-e
                        • Dec 2011

fall of the giants by ken follet

Comment

• messenoire
                          • Nov 2009

love looks not with the eyes
                          has anyone had a chance to thumb through the new(er) alexander mcqueen book? i have 2 other books on mcqueen and was wondering how this one is.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
                            love looks not with the eyes
                            has anyone had a chance to thumb through the new(er) alexander mcqueen book? i have 2 other books on mcqueen and was wondering how this one is.
                            Full review in StyleZeitgeist Volume 3 by yours truly. If our ship with mags hasn't sunk off the coast of Atlantic!

Yes, a definite hit. A copy already has taken prime real estate on my bookshelf. For the first time I wished that there were more color photos though. Black and white just cannot fully capture McQueen's genius.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• FOREVER
                              • Sep 2011

Bought Norwegian Wood by Murakami yesterday, hope to enjoy it; my first Murakami

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

In my experience the best one. Much less unreadable, pseudo-magical-realism bullshit that ruins his writing for me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎