X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackfedora
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by bukka View Post
    Got the most annoying issue of salt on my black calf backzip guidi. I tried to wash it with hot water and cloth, then applying boot cream, brush them, polishing cloth, whatever, the damn white stain comes back on the sole after a day or so. Anyone with a miraculous solution? Thanks in advance.
    Most road salts are a mixed calcium based and can be poorly soluble (particularly calcium sulphate) with simply water (even warm or hot). The method I have used without fail is warm water and acetic acid (vinegar). The calcium reacts with the acetic acid to make calcium acetate which is far more soluble in water (most acetate salts are very water soluble). Now the vinegar solution must be slopped on the salt stain or soak for a short time so that it can penetrate the leather an fully solubilize the salt. I have sometimes soaked entire boots when there was extensive or persistent salt stains (happened because I did a poor pre-winter oiling job on the boot in the first place). After a wash or soak in vinegar, wipe down the boot gently with fresh vinegar solution then with warm water (maybe a little soak to suck out all the salt via the principle of concentration gradient). Allow to dry completely, oil boots thoroughly (my preference is neatsfoot) to restore softness and help prevent further salt stains in the future.

Comment

• bukka
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
      Most road salts are a mixed calcium based and can be poorly soluble (particularly calcium sulphate) with simply water (even warm or hot). The method I have used without fail is warm water and acetic acid (vinegar). The calcium reacts with the acetic acid to make calcium acetate which is far more soluble in water (most acetate salts are very water soluble). Now the vinegar solution must be slopped on the salt stain or soak for a short time so that it can penetrate the leather an fully solubilize the salt. I have sometimes soaked entire boots when there was extensive or persistent salt stains (happened because I did a poor pre-winter oiling job on the boot in the first place). After a wash or soak in vinegar, wipe down the boot gently with fresh vinegar solution then with warm water (maybe a little soak to suck out all the salt via the principle of concentration gradient). Allow to dry completely, oil boots thoroughly (my preference is neatsfoot) to restore softness and help prevent further salt stains in the future.
      You're a chemistry teacher right? This is amazing
      Thank you so much! I'll do this tonight!! I don't have neatsfoot, plain Alden boot cream, would that be ok?
      Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Lohikaarme
        • Jul 2013

You're a chemistry teacher right? This is amazing
        Thank you so much! I'll do this tonight!! I don't have neatsfoot, plain Alden boot cream, would that be ok?
        I'd assume any good sort of conditioner (i.e. Lexol) would be fine. The process of soaking in vinegar and salt just sounds like an intensive process for the leather, leaving it prone to dry and crack if it's not fixed up afterwards.

Comment

• blackfedora
          • Jan 2012

You're a chemistry teacher right?
          No, I make bath salts...

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
          I'd assume any good sort of conditioner (i.e. Lexol) would be fine. The process of soaking in vinegar and salt just sounds like an intensive process for the leather, leaving it prone to dry and crack if it's not fixed up afterwards.
          You are spot on here, the leather gets moderately dry post salt extraction. Personally, I don't feel that a cream or paste-like condition penetrates deep enough into the heel and sole of the shoe post treatment to restore the lost oils and I really believe that an oil is required for post treatment (unless you are doing this on reverse , in leather, in which case, heaven help you poor boots). Conditioners/creams in my experience, are not sufficient to keep salt water/grime/winter street sludge from entering the interstitial layers of my footwear.

Comment

• rider
            eyes of the world
            • Jun 2009

neatsfoot will rot stitches so use it sparingly if at all.
            Effax Leather Balsam will keep leather supple and wont rot the stitching. they have a cleaner that is great too.

Comment

• bukka
              • Sep 2011

I'll go with this one this time

As it's only on the sole, I guess it's ok...
              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• GucciAmen
                • Sep 2014

Don't know where to post this really but, here goes:

Got in a pair of BBS P13 pants, read that the waist was smaller than what I am used to, but heard high waisted so no worries really, I thought. Found out upon trying on that all the other measurements were far too tight due to the material not having any give like my regular jeans. In trying them on, don't even know how, the seam right above the crotch separated, just about an inch long... I have heard people have had issues with older BBS pants having busted crotch seams but this is wild, I didn't even sit in them, just tried them on, standing. Here is a picture anyways:

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm going to resell and try and find a bigger pair but, how can I fix this beforehand? I live in KW, Ontario, so not a tailor I know of that I would trust with this. Any ideas at all?

Thanks

Comment

• eleves
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                  I'm going to resell and try and find a bigger pair but, how can I fix this beforehand? I live in KW, Ontario, so not a tailor I know of that I would trust with this. Any ideas at all?
                  Maybe try contacting Serpentine in Toronto and see what they recommend as far as tailoring the clothing that they carry. As far as I know, they're the only ones relatively close to where you are that carry Boris and asking a shop tailoring questions regarding the brands they sell has worked out for me in the past (Not Serpentine but the same idea applies)!
                  Originally posted by Faust
                  HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                    Maybe try contacting Serpentine in Toronto and see what they recommend as far as tailoring the clothing that they carry. As far as I know, they're the only ones relatively close to where you are that carry Boris and asking a shop tailoring questions regarding the brands they sell has worked out for me in the past (Not Serpentine but the same idea applies)!
                    Thanks! Should have thought of that already... Perhaps they could recommend me to a tailor and I can make a trip to TO out of it. Have you had an issue similar to this (assuming you have bbs pants as well?)

Comment

• eleves
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                      Thanks! Should have thought of that already... Perhaps they could recommend me to a tailor and I can make a trip to TO out of it. Have you had an issue similar to this (assuming you have bbs pants as well?)
                      Nope didn't have a problem with my BBS but I did size up one for it!
                      Originally posted by Faust
                      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Thats an extremely simple thing to fix so unless you take them to some drunken nutjob who will use pink thread and sew the legs shut, any decent tailor should be able to handle it.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                          @Nomadic Planet : Try "A la ville A la montagne" near Bastille, he did a very good job on my Guidi boots. Also he has a large panel of vibram (size, colors etc..).
                          I haven't seen your post Marlon, thanks a lot, will definitely try it!!

I wonder if anyone can share their experience on adding vibram soles to a1923 sneakers.... It's already been 2 cobblers that tell me a vibram cannot be glued to that rubber a1923 sole....

Comment

• GucciAmen
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            Thats an extremely simple thing to fix so unless you take them to some drunken nutjob who will use pink thread and sew the legs shut, any decent tailor should be able to handle it.
                            I was overthinking it when I made the original post, kind of freaked out haha. I treat my clothes very carefully so it blew my mind. Thanks for your advice, I will take it to a family friend who has done seam-work on my work clothes, good to hear this is a simple fix .

Comment

• blackfedora
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                              I haven't seen your post Marlon, thanks a lot, will definitely try it!!

I wonder if anyone can share their experience on adding vibram soles to a1923 sneakers.... It's already been 2 cobblers that tell me a vibram cannot be glued to that rubber a1923 sole....
                              See here for a vibram on my old a1923 sneakers. I asked my cobbler how he did it and he gave me the recipe, it is as follows.

1) cut out the correct vibram shape for the shoe.

2) apply a layer of commercial contact cement to the bottom of the shoe and a layer on the vibram to by applied. DO NOT STICK THEM TOGETHER YET.

3) allow each part to dry for an hour or two.

4) resoften the contact cement with a heat gun, place both glued parts together and hold them together firmly overnight in a shoe vice.

5) shave excess glue off and line up the edges with a knife or fine grinder.

This process works on a1923 sneakers, CCP drip sneakers, converse sneakers and just about anything else.

edit: commercial contact cement may be different in your country, so maybe have the cobbler test on a cheaper pair of shoes first if you are both unsure.
                              Last edited by blackfedora; 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• jap808
                                • Dec 2012

Got a problem with my BBS drawstring pants:

I've lost one of the "pin" ("stud"?) that closes pants' bottoms:

I call the shop to ask for a replacement, they write various email to BBS, but told me they get no reply...

Since I'll never get a replacement, anyone has some suggestions:
                                - go to a blacksmith and make one artisanal-custom-made pin
                                - replace with a rope (artisanally crafted, obviously)
                                - none of the above

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎