• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
    lol. I started with a few t-shirts and such and after getting the hang of it, I've dyed a few more "risky" piece such as a pair of ccp jeans. I wanted them slightly darker grey, and have gotten a ton of more wear out of them
    I figured I would start small...simple hoodie. I've dyed it black 3 times now and have only made it ever-so-slightly darker, and much more purple.

I'm never going to dye anything again...it was a lot of work for little gratification.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• the breaks
      • Sep 2007

you're either using the wrong dye, not enough dye or not enough salt

i've never had anything but perfect results dying stuff black
      Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

I had a problem with not getting a pair of pants dark enough, so I used slightly warmer water (in a sink), two packs of dye, more salt and I let it soak for a while, rotating the garment every now and then that seemed to do the trick. If this doesn't help, then it must be the material, some treatments can prevent it from absorbing the dye.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

I've tried 2 different dye brands, and even a proper fixative with the salt. Not sure what else I can do. Maybe double the amount of dye.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• sshum88
            • Dec 2007

You could take your garment down to G&S Dye on Dundas St West and see what suggestions they have for you. They carry a lot of different dye products.

Originally posted by Dane View Post
            I've tried 2 different dye brands, and even a proper fixative with the salt. Not sure what else I can do. Maybe double the amount of dye.
            Originally posted by eat me
            If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

That's actually where I bought the dye the first time around.

Comment

• blackfedora
                • Jan 2012

Like you Dane, I've gotten the purple/brown (kind of like a sick eggplant) when using dyes from G&S. I tried the iDye, procion, Rit and the small tins of Dylon. Both with sodium chloride (non-iodized) and sodium sulfate and at elevated temperatures and extended times but with no better results. Then a new acquaintance, who overdyed black her entire wardrobe on a fairly regular basis (all the blacks then match she said), informed that the best way to get true black was using the big tins (half kilo) of Dylon dye (shown below) that can only be bought at Gwartzman's (on Spadina). I used it with very good results (2 kilograms of clothing) by the following method:

1) First I prewash everything (especially the previous failed attempts) with T.N.A soap (from G&S, aka synthrapol) to remove any previous unbound dye and crap that inhibits the binding of the dye to the reactive moieties of the fibers.

2) Preheat the washing machine with hot water, empty then refill with 45 degree water and thoroughly dissolve double the recommended quantity of Dylon dye and sodium sulfate by running a 10 minute cycle.

3) Add wet clothes and run 2 x 12 minutes gentle cycle, then let stand for a couple hours with periodic gentle cycle churning and finally let stand overnight.

4) Rinse thoroughly the next morning and if you have roommates who wear white clothes, bleach the machine.

Edit/Note: When using sodium sulfate in place of sodium chloride, you will require 2.45 times as much. I.E.: if the protocol calls for 58 grams sodium chloride, 142 grams of sodium sulfate is required if that's what is used instead.

I hope that helps.
                Last edited by blackfedora; 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• bestial
                  • Jun 2008

Sorry to intrude on the dye frenzy but,

I'm no Yohji-expert, hence I though probably some of the Yohji-experts on here could shed some light on this.

I bought a YYPH-bag a couple of years ago - but I never got to know which season it came out. I know Atelier carried it, but I can't figure out when.

Comment

• nicelynice
                    • Oct 2009

Does anyone have any washi garments that have gotten a lot of wear? How does it hold up as a fabric?

I have a hat made of washi that completely faded and shrunk just from being left in a warm sunny car for a couple weeks. Some of the Devoa and Individual Sentiments washi and washi blend fabrics look beautiful, just wondering how they'll be after a bit of wear

Comment

• eleven crows
                      • Mar 2011

I have two: a pair of the slim washi pants and the washi coat; both from Devoa.

I wore the pants almost daily for a few months, including trekking around in the stinking hot Tokyo summer. They're a very light weave, but tough wearing. No problem with stains holding on and very little scuffing or fading. They develop heavy creases from wear. Not so dissimilar to the ramie pieces.

The coat has seen even harder wear. Rain, sleet, and snow from October to present in the dreary UK weather. There's some fading on the cuffs, pockets and elbow creases due to friction. Initially it was also very dry and stiff. After all this wear it's softened into that second skin fit that people are so mad about.
                      Last edited by eleven crows; 04-03-2013, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• noirgt
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nicelynice View Post
                        Does anyone have any washi garments that have gotten a lot of wear? How does it hold up as a fabric?

I have a hat made of washi that completely faded and shrunk just from being left in a warm sunny car for a couple weeks. Some of the Devoa and Individual Sentiments washi and washi blend fabrics look beautiful, just wondering how they'll be after a bit of wear
                        Whatever material you leave in a warm sunny car for a couple weeks, it will just faded and shrunk....

Comment

• kuriz
                          • Nov 2010

Did anyone make a movie at the the HLorenzo x SZ mag release? I have been enjoying the other small films a lot!

Comment

• stemcell
                            • Jul 2011

Any other retailers that carry Julius in NYC besides Atelier?
                            Thanks in advance.

Comment

• vitalj
                              • Feb 2010

What is the best version of rick owens tee? Rayon or cotton?
                              Thanks

Comment

• vitalj
                                • Feb 2010

Ok, sorry dude. It's for http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16138.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎