Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

ahh i did not know the zipper went thru the whole process with the boot, as there appears no trace of dye. was never 100% sure on that, thought it might be added at the end. well, maybe "shit" zipper was harsh but either way the pull tabs are weak as hell and the zipper is not smooth at all. the good part about it is having tabs at both ends.

and yeah i agree the new scarred tornadoes are so so sick. Atelier has them listed as reversed cordovan.

does it look like the overlock spiral jean is less likely to tear at the seams? i'd imagine so
    Last edited by cjbreed; 05-06-2011, 05:41 PM.
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

i guess i will try the firm. don;t have high faith in ccp delivering, my friend's overlock order has taken 10 months

Originally posted by seenmy View Post
      I highly doubt he is using a low grade ykk,I expect it is top line, the issues dont come from the zipper quality more the process the zipper goes through during garment dying which can compromise the zipper as the tape can shrink and warp the teeth etc,I think this would only really have potential to cause issue where the zipper is also passing through a curve like on the boots as it could pose extra strain at points.

Im pretty sure that ccp would fix it though,if the boots were returned to them granted it would take 6 months...

i think the current batch of tornados are the best shape I have seen and tried,I got the spiral jean also,new fabric is great as well as updated fit,scar stitch rather than taped seams like the 09 which I think from construction is a plus.cant wait for the dead ends to arrive

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
        Seriously.. post like that.. bummin.
        Never had zip-boots by him but the zipper on my scarstitch is thick and durable. Hopefully I won't have a problem with it as it feels very well made. I thought there was a previous post / discussion about ykk having various levels of quality and he (supposedly) used the upper-class. He needs to call Guidi and find out who they use. So smooth.

p.s. Scarring on the new tornados is intense. So beautiful.
        YKK, actually
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

it is pretty inexcusable IMO, I have only worn them 10x. I mean, I have dr. martens that have held up better. I think we conflate what we like here with quality sometimes.

Comment

• Peasant
            • Jul 2009

^^Oh shit.. well he needs to get on those zippers. I don't see how the zipper, if made from quality materials, can't hold up to a dyeing process. Of course I don't know all the in's and out's. Speaking of which, my leather is object dyed and as I said before, the zipper seems fine. Did this happen with the old side-zips? Maybe it has to do with the curvature the zipper repetitively goes through.
            Handled the new tornados today.. an ode to the 07s as far as stiffness and general style. I like the toe-box a bit more on these. And the bison scar-stitch is unbelievable. Seems like the perfect choice of leather. It weighs a ton but isn't really stiff at all. Thick but flexible.. beautiful color.. really remarkable.

Comment

• AVerdantShore
              • Jan 2011

I was clearly kidding--given, it was a little flamboyantly inappropriate. I'm just consistently awed by the degree of technical skill that Poell wields, even though his collections do maintain a definitive aesthetic continuity that doesn't separate easily. We all know that and appreciate it anyways, so it's redundant to speak at length about it. When looking at a garment and being unable to discern exactly how it's made from first glance, it's certainly a noteworthy and exciting development for me to pay attention to. I was just really floored handling the garments and admiring their construction, as I always am with XXX. That's all.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

The zipper pulls get pretty beat up through the dye process. Lots of dings and dents on them when they arrive unfortunately and since it's such thin metal at the connecting points, they're more prone to breakage (although my tornados that I bought from Atelier back in 2006 have no issues yet).

Easy to replace at home.

YKK Aluminum Zipper Pull

Zipper Top Stops

and the zipper stop remover/clamper (aka nipping pliers)

Altogether less than $10 with the majority cost being the nipping pliers.

The pull itself is $1. With everything, it'll take you 5-10 minutes to replace at most.

For you NYC residents, you will have all the resources/materials above in the garment district. I'm a big fan of Pacific Trimmings (218 West 38th Street) as they always do right by me :)
                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                  The zipper pulls get pretty beat up through the dye process. Lots of dings and dents on them when they arrive unfortunately and since it's such thin metal at the connecting points, they're more prone to breakage (although my tornados that I bought from Atelier back in 2006 have no issues yet).

Easy to replace at home.

YKK Aluminum Zipper Pull

Zipper Top Stops

The pull itself is $1. With everything, it'll take you 5-10 minutes to replace at most.
                  best of sz for sure. needs to be a sticky.
                  LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

hehehe added in a little note about NYC folks like you A :)
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

thanks! now all i need is a pair of ccp boots haha.
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• awlouie
                        • Sep 2007

My cobbler did a great job replacing the YKK zipper pulls on my '07's. My current '09 tornados look new with no signs of nicks or damage.
                        "Fashions fade, style is eternal." —Yves Saint Laurent

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
                        -Bruce Lee

Comment

• kunk75
                          Banned
                          • May 2008

plusrep

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post

Easy to replace at home.

YKK Aluminum Zipper Pull

Zipper Top Stops

For you NYC residents, you will have all the resources/materials above in the garment district. I'm a big fan of Pacific Trimmings (218 West 38th Street) as they always do right by me :)

Comment

• Wax
                            • Sep 2009

Which supplier is CCP using for the metal closing clasps aswell as the buttons?

Comment

• Macro
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              YKK, actually
                              they use the XL (excella) zippers by YKK, to be specific. Always have. Best zippers i've used on the market.
                              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Wax View Post
                                Which supplier is CCP using for the metal closing clasps aswell as the buttons?
                                What I really want to know is where Carol gets his thread.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎